Replace dinette with desk - Amish company experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Notayurt

There's just two of us rolling around in our Class A, so a bed-convertible dinette isn't a must have for us. We are thinking of replacing the dinette with a desk unit. We stumbled across a website focalwood.com that has a fantastic looking desk replacement. I've attached a picture of the desk we would love to have. So, the question is: Has anyone done business with this company? It's Sunday, so we can't reach them by phone today--so I thought I'd throw this out to the massive knowledge bank of RVers that visits this forum! Any experience with them? They are located in Indiana. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Lang desk web.jpg
    Lang desk web.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 406
Carlyle remodeled the dash board in our motorhome, pictures are elsewhere in this board, I believe.  He does excellent work and we can recommend him highly.  You won't reach him directly by phone, just leave a message and a call back number, he'll call you.

We are replacing our booth dinette and our Jcouch with a new dinette (table and chairs) and a desk.  We found one we liked at the Florida RV Show from Bradd and Hall in Elkhart, IN (www.braddandhall.com).  It appears to be the same or very similar to the picture you provided.  The price on their website is for the product shown with installation extra at a per hour rate.  They will also customize the cabinet to fit your space.  Bradd and Hall said they needed a five week lead time.  You can also have it shipped to install yourself.  They will custom match the color to your other cabinets.

We also talked with Master Tech RV, also from Elkhart, IN (www.mastertechrv.com) at the FMCA rally last week.  We showed them the Bradd and Hall pictures and we are awaiting their quote. 

Either company will customize the furniture for you.

So many options!!

When we had our dash remade by Carlyle (Focal Wood Products), Bradd and Hall was reselling his products and they referred us to him for our custom work.

We also had Focal Wood Products do a custom file cabinet for us.  Carlisle is an excellent person to deal with.  Brad and Hall seemed to job all their work out when we went to them. Excellent workmanship (Amish at that time) for sure but why not cut out the middleman. Been to Mastertech for one job..never again.

Attachments

• file cabinet 10-08.JPG
    file cabinet 10-08.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 209
We're scheduled to go to Focal mid-April to have our dinette and j-couch replaced with the dining table, buffet and desk.  Price was better than any other quotes I got (4) and I have only seen one negative report out of about 15.  Will let you know how it goes.

As mentioned above, we were replacing our bench seat dinette and J-couch.  We got to Focal Wood Products around the middle of April.  Carlyle took all the measurements and built our new dinette/desk unit while we were at the Holiday Rambler 419 Maintenance Session in Goshen.  After the session we went back to Focal Wood and Carlyle installed everything.  He also made the electrical plugs fit into the new furniture.  He did a wonderful job and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

I tried to attached photos but keep getting an error message that the file is too large.

I tried to attached photos but keep getting an error message that the file is too large.

Here's an article in the forum library on resizing images.

Ned said:
Here's an article in the forum library on resizing images.

Thanks Ned.  Here are the resized photos.

Attachments

• 2015-06-10 001 2015-06-10 001 (Medium).jpg
    2015-06-10 001 2015-06-10 001 (Medium).jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 2015-06-10 001 2015-06-10 002 (Medium).jpg
    2015-06-10 001 2015-06-10 002 (Medium).jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 2015-06-10 001 2015-06-10 004 (Medium).jpg
    2015-06-10 001 2015-06-10 004 (Medium).jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 164
Contrary to what seems the popular way to go, we actually prefer the booth dinette. Shopping for 35-40 rig and having a LOT of trouble finding those with booth dinette. It has crossed my mind to retrofit. Thoughts anyone? Any idea as to cost? Thx

our MH came without a booth or a sofa, I too like the dining booth that converts to sleeping for 2 of our grandchildren. Being a ex cabinet maker by trade I made our booth. We bought good commercial grade foam for the cushions, then purchased some quality fabric which my wife was going to sew the covers for the cushions but decided the fabric was to heavy for her sewing machine. We ended up having an upholstery  shop sew them and she did a perfect job. Her labor was 280.00, fabric was 150.00, foam cushion was 300.00, wood and finish for the booth was around 250.00. So nearly 1000.00 to do it myself which is pretty costly, but it's nice and the way we wanted it with the colors.

Sun2Retire said:
Contrary to what seems the popular way to go, we actually prefer the booth dinette. Shopping for 35-40 rig and having a LOT of trouble finding those with booth dinette. It has crossed my mind to retrofit. Thoughts anyone? Any idea as to cost? Thx
any good cabinet maker can make you what you want, and an upholstery shop can do the rest. Doesn't have to be Coach specific. Many times I have thought about getting back into woodworking business just for MH's 

Carlyle of Focal Wood Products incorporated our dining table into a computer desk, file cabinet etc

Attachments

• desk1 (Medium).jpg
    desk1 (Medium).jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 158
Has anyone used Focal Wood Products lately? We contacted him a few months ago for a quote on a desk/table build. He said he would get back with us. We heard nothing further and have left several messages. He doesn't return our calls. According to the older posts in the thread, the other companies mentioned just serve as a middle man for Focal Wood. Can anyone recommend someone else?

Thanks,
Vicki

Notayurt said:
There's just two of us rolling around in our Class A, so a bed-convertible dinette isn't a must have for us. We are thinking of replacing the dinette with a desk unit. We stumbled across a website focalwood.com that has a fantastic looking desk replacement. I've attached a picture of the desk we would love to have. So, the question is: Has anyone done business with this company? It's Sunday, so we can't reach them by phone today--so I thought I'd throw this out to the massive knowledge bank of RVers that visits this forum! Any experience with them? They are located in Indiana. Thanks in advance.
can I ask what they are asking for that  desk?

I went to the Brad and Hall website mentioned in earlier posts and they had the pictured dinette/computer desk without the table for $1,095. Certain wood colors were extra as well as shipping. The design is such that you could use your own table with the desk or if you don't have one I think they also sell them. According to the website, delivery is 3-4 weeks. I asked them to send me a couple of wood stain samples so I can match my table and cabinets. They suggest that and don't charge for it. They sent it out that same day. Great response time!  As Focal Wood Products won't return our calls, we are considering ordering from Brad and Hall.

Vicki

Any cabinet maker shop could build a desk to order, anywhere from basic to elegant. Your budget is the only limit.  I do woodworking as a hobby and designed and built my own RV computer desk. Had a shop fabricate the corian top and I made the rest. The corian desktop was inexpensive because they had a remnant from a another job that matched well enough.

shorts said:
I went to the Brad and Hall website mentioned in earlier posts and they had the pictured dinette/computer desk without the table for $1,095. Certain wood colors were extra as well as shipping. The design is such that you could use your own table with the desk or if you don't have one I think they also sell them. According to the website, delivery is 3-4 weeks. I asked them to send me a couple of wood stain samples so I can match my table and cabinets. They suggest that and don't charge for it. They sent it out that same day. Great response time!  As Focal Wood Products won't return our calls, we are considering ordering from Brad and Hall.

Vicki
I would check with local cabinet shops for prices, if you were close I could build you that. Definitely thinking of setting up shop again if my job keeps going south. Just got cut to half of our salary because lack of business,  thankful my wife and I still have decent medical though

shorts said:

Just wondered if you got any further info from either source.

Vicki

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom