Zion in March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mud Puppy

I am thinking of going to the Zion Park area in mid March. Wondering if it will be too cold, should I wait till April. Coming from Black Canyon City area. Any suggestions? Cathy

We will be there mid-March as well. Hard to say what we will find. March can be a little iffy but we're interested in seeing whatever mother nature has in store. We typically visit in May or late September so this is why we want to go now. We would love some snow around but, again, will take anything. Where will you be staying? We will be in Springfield at the Zion Canyon Campground this time.

Winter
Winters in Zion National Park are cold and often wet. Temperatures can range from highs of 50-60?F during the day to lows well below freezing at night. Nearly half of the annual precipitation in Zion Canyon falls between the months of December and March. Roads are plowed, but trails may be closed due to snow and ice. After winter storms, snow typically disappears within a matter of hours at lower elevations. At higher elevations, the snow accumulates. As temperatures rise in spring, melting snow causes high water levels in the Virgin River and its tributaries.

Here's what their website says about spring weather.

Spring
Be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions. In spring, wet weather is not unusual, but warm, sunny weather is typical. Maximum temperatures rarely exceed 90?F/32?C; however, temperatures in the park can vary dramatically with changes in elevation and the time of day. Day and night temperatures can differ by over 30?F/17?C. Mornings and evenings can be cool. Consider dressing in layers to prepare for changes in temperature. Precipitation peaks in March. High water levels due to snowmelt often continue into late May. Abundant wildflowers bloom from April through June and peak in May.

ArdraF

ArdaF of course picked the correct season to quote. I was looking more at the "Nearly half of the annual precipitation in Zion Canyon falls between the months of December and March" described in Winter. The hiker/bicyclist in us wants more Spring weather but the photographer wants some snow. Some of the most beautiful pictures I've seen of ion were winter shots. I may have to go back next year a bit earlier.

The weather in southern Utah this winter has been odd, to say the least. It has been outrageously warmer than average with less than average snowfall. We all know that can change in an instant, but I would think you have a good chance of warm weather.

Thanks for the replies. I was more concerned about water hook ups freezing and using a ton of propane. I want to stay around Glendale for closer access to Bryce, but saw it was colder there than around St George. Has anyone stayed in these areas? I was looking at Bauers RV Park, Glendale or Red Cliffs at St George. Any suggestions? Cathy

I have been to Zion in March many times and although it can get cold at night, the days are usually nice, unless the wind is blowing hard...unhook your water hose at night when it is supposed to freeze and run off the inboard tank and you should be fine...

My favorite place is on the West side outside the Park and called Zion River Resort, a beautiful full service RV Resort, another advantage of being there before season you can drive into the park, during high season you have to take the buses, which works well, but when I am hauling around 100 pounds of photography gear it is a bit restrictive.

Enjoy Zion!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom