'87 Elandan Suspension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbragg

Recently purchased a 1987 Winnebago Elandan. I am getting ready to replace the shocks and add new air bags in the rear. Planning on Bilstein shocks and an Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate air bag kit. Also adding an air lift dual path compressor system. Any thoughts on parts?

jbragg said:
Recently purchased a 1987 Winnebago Elandan. I am getting ready to replace the shocks and add new air bags in the rear. Planning on Bilstein shocks and an Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate air bag kit. Also adding an air lift dual path compressor system. Any thoughts on parts?

What chassis do you have? Does it have a tag axle?

According to the 1987 Winnebago Brochure the 37RQ is on a Chevy 17,000 lb chassis with Multi-Leaf Rear Suspension w/Air Bag Assist and Single Wheel Tag Axle.  It also has a Coil Spring Front Suspension w/Auxiliary Air Springs.

The motorhome sit on a P32 chassis with a tag axle, it has coil spring front suspension with air springs, as cbeierl stated. The front springs and air bags are in good condition. According to sales at SD Truck Spring that air bag kit is compatable with the motorhome I have. They said it would provide assistance for the spring, but was not to be confused with a true air ride suspension. According to the rep at Winnebago my motorhome came from the factory with a "Super 30 Air ride". But I haven't found any information on it yet. I'm hoping the shocks will help and air bags will provide a little more cushion to the ride.

I doubt if new rear air assist will help the ride much - it's basically a spring helper and not (as they told already you) an air ride suspension. Likewise shocks don't do much for normal ride - they are a rebound dampener designed to keep the tires in contact with the road. Shocks are not a ride comfort device. But an '87 probably needs new shocks for safety reasons anyway, so that's a good move.

I thought the big Elandons had factory air assist as standard - the Super 30 that Winnie told you about. Any sign of it under the back?

The pressure in the front air bags will have a substantial effect on ride and handling. They have an air valve and are manually adjustable. More psi yields better cornering but a stiffer ride. Less psi is a softer ride, but at some point the front end begins to wallow, at first in turns but later in normal driving if they get too soft. The desirable range differs with the axle load rating; here is what a 1987 Chevy P30 chassis manual says:

Inflation pressures should be maintained at 10 PSI minimum to avoid chafing . Under load, 40-50 PSI is recommended for a 4,300-Ib. suspension, 50 PSI for a 5,000-lb . suspension. 70 PSI is required on the 5,300-Ib suspension. 80-90 PSI is recommended for the F44 5,500-Ib., optional 16,000-Ib. suspension.

You can get a chassis manual free if you join the Classic Winnebgos owner group:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=7248.0

Or try this page for a download:
http://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3731087061/m/4893991167

Right now I can't get under the motorhome to check for any signs of the original air ride suspension. We've got a foot of snow on the ground. Not sure where to look for compressor. the Air bags that are under the front have been added and have a manual valve on them. The bags that were put on the back have a manual valve as well and appear to be mounted between the body and the frame. Talked with Winnebago and they weren't able to provide me with any other information on the suspension other than it had come with an air assist. Going to move forward with the shock as a safety precaution. Just trying to find a solution that might soften the ride a bit in the rear. Drove it from TN to my home in KY and rear was awfully rough riding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom