12v 3 way switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

I need to add an outside light and want to be able to switch it from inside and outside. I have the 2 locations picked out and running the wire will be fairly easy. I don't have much knowledge with 12v wiring so I need to know how to wire one light to run off 2 switches.
thanks

Steve

Find a power supply for the first switch and run a wire (call it A wire) to one side of that switch then from the other side of that switch run a wire (call it wire B) to the light.

Then do the same thing for the second switch as far as finding a power supply and running this wire (call it wire C) to one side of the second switch. Then run a wire (call it wire D) from the other side of the second switch to the second wire (wire B) on the first switch.

I know what I want to do but am  having trouble explaining it.  :eek:  Hope you can figure out what I'm saying.

Get two DC single pole, double throw (SPDT) switches and wire them as you would for AC

I've yet to see a 12 volt 3 way switch, unless you use an industrial Single Pole Double Throw toggle switch.

If you can find one, here's how to wire it, just like connecting two three-way switches for AC.  The two wires between the switches are called travelers and carry the current when both switches are in the position that connect to a single traveler.  If the switches are in opposite positions no current flows.

Attachments

• 3way Switch.jpg
    3way Switch.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 42
Some 12v 3 way switches made for RVs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-PATIO-CEILING-LIGHT-ON-OFF-WALL-SWITCH-WITH-3-WAY-/230354265173

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RV-WALL-PLATE-CAMPER-SIGMA-12V-ROCKER-ON-OFF-SWITCH-3-WAY-MORORHOME-/370942264814

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom