Do you believe in luck or lucky charms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Yogi!

Gun Hoy Fat Choi!  That means Happy New Year in one of those dialects in Chinese.  Did you know the Chinese celebrate their New Year for weeks?  And to enhance and extend their lives they eat extra long noodles, a whole steamed fish or a whole chicken dressed w/its head and feet attached...  What?  Where would you find one of those anyway?  Do you believe that?  Maybe, maybe not but I can say it sounds fun to go on the hunt for some of those items doesn't it?  Have you ever seen a black chicken?  Why eat a black chicken?  Yes,  I have seen one; at a butcher's shop, quite weird looking and not very big.

Did you notice that Google has that funny little ram starting those fire crackers?  I thought it's suppose to be a sheep or goat not a ram.  Were you born in the year of the ram/goat/sheep?  OK, I have worn an amulet but just for fun.

I believe luck is all around us and if we are living life the way we should be we will be awarded with an abundance of it

Jack L

Luck, well,,, That one is kind of hard to quantify,,, Let's just say sometimes you are in the right palce at the right time.

Lucky Charms... Is a breakfast cerial, and thus, I do believe in Lucky Charms, they're magically delicious.

Luck...my DW used an IUD for birth control many years ago.  Wouldn't you know it, our bad luck.  She got pregnant with our 4 child (4th boy as it turned out).  45 years later and we're still amazed at our good luck.  And, he often ate Lucky Charms.

Of course not - pure superstition.
Of course every vehicle I have owned since 1961 has had a small wooden hand carved, warty, toad named Issac that my wife to be gave me, riding on the dash.  :)

There is no such thing as luck, just probabilities.

Well, about a week ago I sent in a correct answer to a question.. And it's just my luck, of all the correct answers (And there were many) They pulled mine out of the hat,, So in a couple weeks I should have a new Microphone..

Heil Mics are .... Well let's just say they are wroth the cost and they are NOT cheap.

They pulled mine out of the hat,,

The only time I've ever had mine picked was for a door prize -- literally. It was a flying club meeting and the prize was on old beat up door from a wrecked Cessna. Luck? Hmmm...

Now that's a real DOOR prize :).

I recall babysitting a downed small aircraft one New Year's Eve,, People came up and wanted a closer look, insisting it was, as I recall, a Cessna they used to fly.

It was a Piper, and it had only flown twice,, First was the delivery flight from the factory to the Flight club, Second was a new pilot who went out with some of his friends,  Celebrated his newly minted (Arrived in the mail that morning) Pilot's license,  Of course the celebration included alcohol,,, (Naturally we always celebrate by drinking poison right). then took off in the club's brand new Piper,, Flew into a fog bank and missed the airport by a couple of cities.  I spent half the night there with the local Emergency Cordornator, both of us out of our county (This was in Macomb County (MI) we were registered in Oakland, but Macomb EC refused assistance to the local PD so they called Oakland,  I actually live din Wayne but only 1.2 miles from Oakland so the way storms work went with Oakland).

The people would say "How do you know it was a Piper?"  I walked up, and looked at the control stick and it said PIPER.

That shut 'em up.

I believe there is luck, i.e. random opportunity, but I don't believe any one person has more or less of it than another. I believe what we call  "good luck" is a result of applied effort, placing ourselves in a position where opportunities have a greater probability of occurring, and then seizing those opportunities when they arise.

the truth is  :)  Good luck ... ( AKA Karma),    is the same as history, politics and Religion, ...... you only believe it if it's true.

But the truth is different for everyone,  ...as you learn new and different things in life, you can change your beliefs .... therefore you can change the truth.

Good luck...bad luck.  I don't believe it is luck when one has worked to place themselves in a position to take advantage of a given situation.  To me "luck" is something that occurs beyond one's control.  We can improve our opportunities and reduce our liabilities, but that means the impact of a situation is no longer just luck.

Molaker said:
Good luck...bad luck.  I don't believe it is luck when one has worked to place themselves in a position to take advantage of a given situation.  To me "luck" is something that occurs beyond one's control.  We can improve our opportunities and reduce our liabilities, but that means the impact of a situation is no longer just luck.

a good friend ( a draftee) was on patrol in Vietnam and they heard incoming mortars, they all dove to the ground... several guys took the direct hit....my friend survived,   

was that situation "no longer just luck" ?

The existence of random chance seems undeniable, e.g. the Viet Nam story above. At that moment, some had "bad luck" and some had "good luck". However, I reject the notion that some people have more good luck than others without any effort on their part. I also reject the notion that there are charms or incantations that influence who gets good luck.

Back
Top Bottom