Fifth Wheel Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnSabbatical

I'm getting a new fifth wheel, my first RV.

Someone recommended swapping out the tires for Marathon Range D, which I guess are Goodyear tires designed for trailers.

A dealer also recommended having the tires filled with nitrogen.

Good ideas? Worth the expense? Four marathon radials cost a total of $360.

About any ST tire made in China will have the same problems regardless of brand name.  They are all JUNK!  Trading junk for junk is basically throwing your money away. What size tires do you have now?

If you are going to pull it anywhere..best to trplace them with LT tires...google this..there will be a lot of reading..I am doing  this as soon as the snow goes away..

I haven't taken delivery yet, but the Sandiper 371REBH comes standard with 16 in. Radial tires-E Rated.

If I'm reading your post correctly then you would would NEVER want to go down in weight rating to a D rated tire. With a 37' rig just get the Good Year G614 tires and forget about the rest.

Wow, the G614's are like $350 a piece.  Is that really necessary? I will be traveling a lot, all around the country actually for a year.
Here are the specs on my fifth wheel, which is actually nearly 43 feet.

Dry Weight 12565lbs
GVWR 15500lbs
Cargo Capacity 2935lbs
Hitch Weight 1996lbs
Exterior Height 13.17'
Exterior Length 42.92'
Exterior Width 8.00'
Fresh Water64gal
Black Water54gal
Gray Water 108gal

OnSabbatical said:
Wow, the G614's are like $350 a piece.  Is that really necessary? I will be traveling a lot, all around the country actually for a year.
Here are the specs on my fifth wheel, which is actually nearly 43 feet.

Dry Weight 12565lbs
GVWR 15500lbs
Cargo Capacity 2935lbs
Hitch Weight 1996lbs
Exterior Height 13.17'
Exterior Length 42.92'
Exterior Width 8.00'
Fresh Water64gal
Black Water54gal
Gray Water 108gal

I have to smile when someone has plunked down big bucks for a TV and a rig that questions items of safety...take the cost of the tires and devide into itthe cost of the total set up....you  might as well throw gas / diesel into that equation..

That thing is a barge..great tires would be first on my list..

You can go Michelins.. a bit cheaper but great tires nevertheless..

Better question that it "is worth it"... ever have a tire blow out at 65 ?

Fair enough. It's just strange to me, being new, that when you pay big bucks for a TV you don't get adequate tires and have to lay out more $.
So do I just pull this thing up to a GoodYear after I pick it up?

You are lucky..mine came with ST tires.. :(

Did you know that ST tires have a max speed rating of 65 mph ?  With that F350, you should be able to keep up to trafic speed w/o any problems.

The folks that sold you the trailer may have a source but I went to my local garage..

The price you mentioned seems high..  you can order through companies like the Tire Rack..

Once you start pulling, there are some other things you may want to buy but you have a fantastic adventure ahead of you so safety first... this may change your life..I know it did ours when we ventured into rv'ing years ago..

Do you think I'd be okay to haul this thing ten hours to get it to my home town before swapping out tires?

OnSabbatical said:
Do you think I'd be okay to haul this thing ten hours to get it to my home town before swapping out tires?

It's brand new. Why would you be concerned with the tires holding up. The design of this trailer calls for these tires so go for it. My 2 cents.  I wouldn't change them out until I see some wearing issues.  I would ask the dealer to balance them though.

With that weight rig you will need something like the Goodyears.  I am sure that Toyo or several other brands have a comparable tire.  The normal LT235/85-16 tire only has a max load of 3042 lbs.  With the weight on the pin these are marginal at best.
The nitrogen issue has been debated as long as it has been used and I am still not convinced it is worth it.  As long as the air is dry I doubt you will see the difference before you have to replace the tires. JMHO.

Absolutely. 

I compiled a list of brands of LT tires that will work and are being used on 5th wheels presently.

You have an expensive rig so the urge to go top of the line is there :) ..the g614s are kind of unique...  regardless, here is the list.  BTW, there could be others...I just collects this from folks that were a)  using them and b) happy with them..

Balancing is a good thing..

E tires

BF Goodwich Commercial T/A All Season 2
Bridgestone R250
Bridgestone M895
Michelin XPS Ribs
Cooper SRM II
Maxxis Load Range E
Duravis 250
Goodyear G614 RST
Firestone Transforce
Firestone Transport HT
BFG Commercial HT
Goodyear Wrangler HT
Uniroyal HD-H
Sailun S637
Mastercraft Roadmaster RM160

I would keep my speed around 60mph and watch for heat issues.  No, I would not switch them out right away. My 5er isn't quite as big as yours, I think you will be fine.

This is related...but I have been thinking about a tire monitoring system...they are good for 10 tires..monitors heat and pressure..

Cannot justify until we go longtime..

X2 on the 60 mph..

I have no opinion on the tires, but I wouldn't pay extra for the nitrogen. The purpose for nitrogen is that assuming it is non-shat (dry) temperature won't change the pressure. Unless all air is evacuated from the tire and it is filled back up in a dry nitrogen atmosphere, it will still have regular, moist air in them. I have nitrogen in the tires of my trailer and truck and tmps shows quite a bit of difference between cold and hot.

My Montana (37 footer) came with the Goodyear Radials, probably the same ones which came on yours.  One had the tread separate within a year while I was on the road.  Another one completely exploded while heading out on a trip.  This caused over $1500.00 damage to the trailer.  Luckily in both cases, Goodyear admitted liability and paid for new tires and the damage to my trailer.  I am meticulous with ensuring the tires are inflated correctly (in this case it was 80 psi).  I was only traveling 60 mph both times.  I am in no hurry when out with the 5th wheel.  There are  plenty who will tell you they have never had a problem with the cheap Chinese tires but I did.  After the blowout, I purchased the Goodyear G614s.  I am very happy with them.  They are higher speed rated and load rated than the tires which came on the Montana.  I don't really care about the higher speed rating, again, as I am not in a hurry when traveling. 
Be aware that if you decide to upgrade to the G614s, the wheels on your 5'er must be rated to withstand 110 psi of pressure.  This is stamped on your wheels. 
Good luck in your decision, but as many have stated, safety is paramount when on the road.

Jimmy

Heading into my 5th year with my RV with my cheap China tires no issues. Then on my BigTex Utility trailer has cheap China tires to this is going to be second year and no issues with it. Both trailers are ST's.

What tires are on it now?  Brand, type, size, and Load range. I would not leap to the conclusion that they are inadequate, just because somebody said "buy Marathons". However, RV manufacturers are noted for skimping on tire capacity and using cheap brands, so it is worth checking out. If they are ST type tires, be sure to observe the 65 mph max speed rating. And regardless of type, make sure the tire is inflated adequately for the actual load, or for the max axle load if you don't get a real (scaled0 weight before you drive away. If you do those things, you can safely drive home and probably for the coming season as well.

Please show your individual axle weight ratings (GAWR) here along with tire information. They go hand in hand. The Axle GAWRs will be on the federal weight rating sticker on the front left side of the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom