Ford Triton V-10 or Diesel Pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

We are looking to purchase an A MH.  Really would like to get a pusher as I want to tow a 2008 Chrysler T&C (4,621lbs), but not finding one that is a few years old that works in our budget.  Intend to spend considerable time traveling mountainous areas - ie: Rte 70 in Colorado.  Am concerned about how the Ford will hold up.  Seems all the manufactures use this engine as the engine of choice.  I test drove a 2014 A gas, and found it to be very noisy and straining just going up 2% - 5% grades.  Any thoughts?

Mine is certainly noisy and that bothered me a lot at first, but it gets me up the hills and mountains. When you push it going up hill and it downshifts, it actually "roars"!  However, I have had absolutely no problems with it in the past almost three years and 53,000 miles of traveling, much of it in mountainous areas.  I also have driven it in 100 degree weather, up very long grades, and the temperature gauge never budged from the middle--in fact, I thought at first it had to be broken.

A diesel pusher will certainly be quieter, especially since it is in the rear of the vehicle, if noise bothers you.

I have a 36' Rexhall with a V10. Definitely winds out going up mountain passes. Living in Lyons, CO I cross trailridge several times a year. Its a pull but the Triton gets the job done. I try and keep RPM's under 4500. I'm always pulling a toad(Jeep Liberty), so not sure how it would do without the extra weight.
A diesel is a better model for mountain climbing in my opinion, but comes with a pretty hefty price tag. I'm happy with my purchase for the money. However my next rig will be a diesel. Saving up for that one now. It will be a while before I drop that much coin.
Interesting forum name. Are you actually in the plastics biz? I've been doing it for almost 40 years now.

I think it is an issue of buying new or used. Buy a new gas or an older diesel are your best money choices. Anything else is something else.

The gas suspensions at around 35 feet seem to be just as good as the diesel, based on my test drives and conversations with gas owners. When you hit 40 ft, you must go diesel. You can get a Newmar Canyon Star gas diesel equivalent, for the most part.

One gas owner I know feels that the best advantage of a dp is minimal rocking when you go through a corner. You won't hear that point of view very often.

A dp wins hands down as to noise and braking, and full time usage. A v10 can outrun many dps and is great for vacationers and toys and such...and some use them for full time as well.

Really, though, if you want to spend an extra $100k on a dp and can, well that is that, but don't try to cost justify it as it just isn't.

You can also buy a hd semi truck and pull what you want.

No, I don't think this is secret knowledge and of course it is personal.

RVing is at its best, as I see it, as an entertainment/vacation dream realized and as such is not a financial investment, but an entertainment cost. For some the dream can become a nightmare at times.

I have no clue what the full timers think as it is beyond my imagination wanting to live full time in something that was designed as a temporary mobile lodging. However, there are some people who are forced to live in something other than a brick/stick house...that is another issue.

Frankly, I also like spending time overseas and usually that takes a boat or plane to get me there, so $100,000 extra will pay for a lot of that...

Because I have taken the time to get my rv service technician training and rv inspection training, it is a good bet that I will end up with a used 99% perfect used diesel pusher as it simply would not be fun to buy new. However, what I think of as perfect is not what "some" will ever understand.

Since Workhorse went out of the RV gas chassis business several years ago, all the manufacturers use Ford chassis, so the V10 is the only game in town. It's a solid engine and powerful enough, but any front engine is relatively noisy and a gas engine has to rev high to produce full horsepower besides. As for towing, a Ford gas chassis is typically rated for 5000 lbs max tow.

But it sounds as though you would not be happy with the characteristics of a gas chassis. I suggest you go with a DP and increase that "few years old" until it fits in your budget. Nothing wrong with getting a 10 year old DP if it has been maintained reasonably well.

Your experience with the engine being noisy and "straining" when climbing grades is not unusual. The V-10 is a high reving engine compared to most of the other gas engines that were used in motorhomes, and it surprises people who haven't driven one. However if your concern is how well it will hold up, I don't think you have anything to worry about. That's a very refined engine.

We've owned a Class A with a Chevy 454, a Class A with a Ford V-10 and our current DP. The V-10 was noisier than the 454 when climbing grades but it had no problem at all pulling our 32 foot motorhome up those grades (although we weren't towing anything). We live just east of San Diego so pretty much every time we go camping we're climbing and descending miles of 6% grades. On flat roads we had no problems holding normal conversations.

There's no doubt that having the engine 40 feet behind you makes for a noticably quieter ride - especially when climbing grades - but we see RVs with Ford V-10s all the time and many are towing.

Kev

Thank you all for your comments.  I have been wrestling with this for some time.  Additional $100K for less noise and greater torque, while the Triton engined floor layouts are more what I prefer, and everything I have read stesses that floor layout should be a top priority.
Koodog -  Your name is more interesting than mine.  I also have been in the plastics industry for over 40 years, the movie "Graduate" I don't think had anything to do with it, however, started working for a paper/packaging distributor, and found myself getting more involved in "visual" packaging and machinery.  Started climbing the ladder, decided to go out on my own, which I did, got four kids through college, eventually sold it, worked for the company that bought it for a while, then got an offer I could not refuse from a thermoformer, machine manufacturer, worked for them until I retired in 2008.  Still do some sourcing and consulting work.  Hope I haven't given you more info than wanted.

It seems your needs would be best met going with a DP if budget allows. Yes floor plan is important, but not the only thing to consider. Good luck in your search.

Really? A diesel engine is an extra $100,000. That's just an amazing number. I might want to do a little more research before I just threw that number out there or believed it when it was.

"Really, though, if you want to spend an extra $100k on a dp"

" so $100,000 extra will pay for a lot of that"

"Additional $100K for less noise and greater torque,"

You might WILL find that the difference when comparing equal motorhomes is significantly less money.

Ken

Had a 1996 36 Ft with 456 chev and now have a 38 Ft 2003 dp with a 330 cat.  I could get up the hills with the 456 however it might slow. My biggest concern was going down hill. I feel much more secure going down hill in the dp.

if you spend 95% of your time living in the motorhome and 5% of your time driving it then it stands to reason that the interior layout is more  important than the engine and trans.

and when it comes to interior layout the newer the motorhome the more updated and innovative the interior layout is.

yes you can get an older DP with a very dated interior and you will have an easier time going up and down the hills....and when you get to the place you are going you'll have to put up with the same old layout of a couch looking at a couch with a sideways TV thing.

bottom line is you'll get more slides and better layout with a newer gas coach for the same money as a older diesel pusher.

you need to decide where you want more of your money spent, drivability comfort or livability comfort .

the fuel milages are about the same, 6-10 mpg, gas is cheaper than diesel and the maintenance is more on the diesel

I wonder why so many people buy diesel pushers when there are so many disadvantages. Just seems wierd doesn't it?

Ken

bucks2 said:
I wonder why so many people buy diesel pushers when there are so many disadvantages. Just seems wierd doesn't it?

Ken
me too !  the biggest disadvantage is the extra money you have tied up in it while it's parked.

I believe torque, rear engine(read quiet), and high altitude performance are the reasons for a DP.  But I'd buy a new gas MH over a DP 2004 or newer.  If one can find a 2004 with a pre-egr motor, I'd be interested, but I have no use for a DP with an EGR, DPF, or SCR engine. 

It's like when they got rid of regular gas.  We had all kinds of problems with unleaded vehicles when they first came out, now they seem reliable up to about 150,000 miles.  Two friends recently bought new DP's and they been in the shop a full month each out of the last 6 months due to emission related problems.

But if, as Gary said, you can find an older one in good condition, I'd look for a 2003, even a 2004 may have a pre-egr motor in it, but I'd make sure it is a Pre-egr motor before I bought it.  Although Diesel is more expensive, they usually get a little better mpg to make up for it.  And torque that you can't beat with a gas motor. 

Another thing to consider with a larger gas that I found out, many fuel stops are a challenge to get in and out with a toad.  I'm just under 50' with my toad, so a small convenience store may not be a good choice for me, even if they're giving the gas away for free.

TonyDtorch said:
me too !  the biggest disadvantage is the extra money you spent...

but  for many people it's very important to display the old  "mine is cost more than yours" thing..

... but in reality you can get somewhere in both a Toyota or a Bentley.

......... no one ever removes  Country Coach emblems

A bicycle will get you somewhere too. Is that Toyota owner trying to say something to the bicycle owner? I can't believe people buy new cars, you know a 30 year old Toyota will get you there too.......  You can live eating bugs and grass. But not many people enjoy living like that. Outhouses are cheaper than indoor plumbing, are people with indoor plumbing all on ego trips? I enjoy the comfort, quiet and convenience my rig gives me, I worked hard to earn the money to buy it, I don't care if anyone is impressed or not. I didn't buy it for them, I bought it for my comfort.  Others may vary but I have a hard time believing that all those people are on ego trips.

Ken

Buy the floor plan your wife likes or regret it forever.  You can learn to deal with whichever engine it has.

I've had two motor homes with the V10, the Fleetwood Bounder had the 362 HP version, and my current Winnebago Aspect has the 305 HP version. Both are great engines. The Bounder would definitely wake you up when it downshifted pulling a grade, but once I learned where its "sweet spot" was it made for a more comfortable drive up and down those 6% grades we're famous for out west.

My Winnebago Aspect 30J towing a 2005 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) does a fine job up and down the same 6% grades. I make about 43-45 mph at about 2,800-3,200 RPMs on a long 6% grade. The noise is less in the E450 chassis than the F53 chassis, but when they are in the "sweet spot" on an uphill/downhill it is not too bad.

I will say that my next motor home will be a diesel...but until then the gasser does a fine job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom