How to receive digital over-the-air TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwoodie

I have a 2005 37B with all the original components.  I don't want to replace the CRT TVs if I don't have to, but I would like to get over-the-air reception.  I have two roof antennas, but don't know if either of them work.  Would adding digital converters do the trick, or should I replace everything (including the box of many buttons)?  Cost is not a big concern, but I do like originality.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

LOL, I like the way they fit into the existing cabinets.  But I will change them if I have to!

Thanks,

John B.

Find a TV replacement that is as close to the original space as possible and try it with all your other existing components, Chances are everything will work and it would get most OTA Channels available. I understand (but i wouldn't) keeping the interior original, but the TV is just not one of those things anymore. lol and they for the most part sit flush with the cabinets so they cover their own hole, and you gain cabinet space behind it

You should only have one roof antenna, a Winegard Sensar (batwing). It has an amplifier built into the antenna and needs 12 volts which is fed through the coax.

Your existing antennas and switch box will work for digital tv (assuming they are functional at all). What you need is a digital tuner for your old CRT tvs, which can only handle analog signals. The digital converter boxes will do that, but that box becomes your tv tuner, i.e. the means of selecting the channel.

However, you might benefit from an improved antenna as well. Quite a few stations changed their broadcast frequency when they went digital and some of them moved from the VHF to the UHF band. Older antennas were probably optimized for VHF, but those designed for the post-digital era will handle both bands. If tv is important to you and reception is poor in some places or some channels, you may want to invest in a newer antenna. One excellent one is the HD360 Mini-state. See http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-HDVIEW360-Mini-State-Antenna-Direction/dp/B001JT0FWY

If you have the Winegard Sensar antenna you can add the Wingman to double the signal strength on UHF. It then become omni directional rather than bidirectional

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-WING-Wingman-Booster-Antenna/dp/B001U2DPUE

jwoodie said:
LOL, I like the way they fit into the existing cabinets.  But I will change them if I have to!

Thanks,

John B.
Before you say you like the way the existing ones fit, you should Look at the LCD upgrade thread and see what's been done. The results of some of them are way better than the original.

John Hilley said:
If you have the Winegard Sensar antenna you can add the Wingman to double the signal strength on UHF. It then become omni directional rather than bidirectional

On my 1994 Itasca 32', I have what I believe is he original antenna. I haven't used it yet as I'm just starting to resupply the missing video equipment. Is removing the old antenna and installing the Winegard Sensar antenna something one could do by himself? On Amazon, I could purchase the Sensar and the Wingman and have about $150 into the deal....without installation costs. Any thoughts?

You should already have a Sensar antenna you could add the Wingman to. All parts including the amplified bat wing itself are available.

One thing not commented on is that some of the smaller LCD/LED digital flat screen TV?s have very limited viewing angles.  When we had our Pleasure Way we replaced the original CRT with a small LCD flat screen and found we could only view it at very limited angles.  I was sorry we replaced the old TV.  So if your CRT TV?s are good you may want to just add digital converters.  Dick nvrver

Viewing angle can be checked in the store before purchase.  Many LCD TVs have viewing angles of 160? or more.  Our 24" Vizio has a horizontal viewing angle of 178?.

And CRT televisions are becoming outdated in relation to picture size too.  Most OTA digital channels are now broadcasting in widescreen, which means the sides of the picture are getting cut off on your square CRT screen.  Not a huge deal, but flatscreen TV's (which all have a built-in digital tuner) are so cheap now that it would almost be worth buying one to get the correct picture and avoid the extra converter box.

John Hilley said:

On my '94 Itasca Suncruiser I do have the Winegard Sensar antenna. I can see adding the Wingman for sure. I just also bought a Wiinegard FlatWave Amped indoor HDTV antenna. Is this an either/or thing: use one or the other, or is there a way to merge the signals from these different sources?

One or the other at a time.  I think you'll find the Sensar with Wingman to give better reception than the FlatWave, but try them both and see which works better. 

Ned said:
One or the other at a time.  I think you'll find the Sensar with Wingman to give better reception than the FlatWave, but try them both and see which works better.
Got it, thanks. I agree, it's nice to have options.

Ned said:
I just read reviews about the Wingman and found a significant number who said it made no difference and wouldn't recommend it. One referred to the Jack antenna (http://www.kingcontrols.com/product/king-jack/). Any thoughts on this vs. the other?

I just read reviews about the Wingman and found a significant number who said it made no difference and wouldn't recommend it.

We were surprised at the difference it made inside our very well-insulated garage.  Reception was much better after the Wingman was added.  By the way, it's really easy to add to the antenna.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom