'86 Minnie Winnie-Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterz

We just bought our "new" Winnie, a 1986 Minnie Chevy 350 engine.  So excited because cosmetically it looks like new, low miles and incredibly inexpensive.  But...  It has a few issues.

First, no manual, so certain things that need to be immediately addressed have unknowns.  The transmission has been leaking and is probably down to whatever the pan holds below the gasket.  Does anyone know how much fluid is needed to fill it up?  Can one with limited knowledge replace that gasket?  I have read the other threads, but they are of different models and years.  If it is similar then I can go back and follow that thread

Second, the PO says that the dash air is out.  Is there a quick troubleshooting technique to determine the issue?

Of course the traditional dead batteries and a dead fridge. 

Sorry so long, I am just so excited that I want to jump on everything and get it all done to hit the road.

Attachments

• new rv.jpg
    new rv.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 33
  • rv int.jpg
    rv int.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the Winnebago family!  Call Winnebago Owner Relations - they should be able to make a copy of the owner's manual for you.  You are probably on a Chevy P30 G30 chassis (thanks to John H. and Gary for the errata), so your searching should use the chassis designator as a search term and not Minnie-Winnie.

Your correct tranny fluid level should be marked on the dipstick - pull it and look for markings at the end of the stick.

No dash air - probably no refrigerant due to a leaky seal on the compressor (the fix is a new compressor) but the problem could be anything.

On the transmission pan first try tightening the pan bolts. If the gasket has not blown a piece out that should slow down or stop the pan leak. Art

I forgot to say welcome and your unit does look great for its age. Must have been kept in an enclosure most of its life.  Art

John Canfield said:
Welcome to the Winnebago family!  Call Winnebago Owner Relations - they should be able to make a copy of the owner's manual for you.  You are probably on a Chevy P30 chassis, so your searching should use the chassis designator as a search term and not Minnie-Winnie.

Your correct tranny fluid level should be marked on the dipstick - pull it and look for markings at the end of the stick.

No dash air - probably no refrigerant due to a leaky seal on the compressor (the fix is a new compressor) but the problem could be anything.

That is a Class C, so it is built on the Chevy Van chassis, probably a G30

An '86 Minnie Winnie is more likely on a Chevy Van chassis than the Chevy P30 Stripped Chassis. The 350 engine supports that - the bigger P30 used the 454 engine. If so, chances are that the transmission is the standard one for Chevy G20 or G30vans.

If its a van-based coach, the dash air system is likely to be a standard Chevy a/c system from that erea. The P30 motorhome chassis, on the other hand, would have a hybrid system that is part Chevy (compressor and drive clutch) with Evans Tempcon components and HVAC fan/controls from some vehicle chosen by Winnebago.

You can download the brochure for the 86 Minnie here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/product-resources/product-information
It won't give detailed chassis specs, but should help understand what you have.

You can also find 1986 Chevy van brochures, owner and service manuals online, though there may be a fee for some of it. Just Google (or Bing) '1986 Chevy van manual'

Thanks to all, I am now armed with more information than I had before.

Shelley

So how is it going with this rv? I found one I was considering also it?s an 86 also but 20rg and I was wondering if you have had trouble? What should one expect to pay for one?

Old thread!! Critterz has not been back since June 2015, don't hold your breath while waiting for a response!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom