What brand of motorhome would you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

What brand of motorhome would you recommend on the $250,000 MSRP range?  What brands have a better reputation making motorhomes?

I'm betting that everyone that responds will recommend the brand they own.

I would recommend which ever model fits your needs and floorplan that you like. Just because I like a brand don't mean that you will.

I'm not convinced that any brand has a better quality rep than another - they all have a distressingly high rate of problems. However, some have a better rep for post-delivery customer service than others. Tiffin always gets high marks for that, but Newmar and American Coach rank high as well. I think the best advice is to buy a used $500,000 coach for your $250k. You get better quality materials and components as well as the features and amenities you are going to want anyway, and the bugs will have been worked out. High end models use far better woods, upholstery and floor coverings, design in innumerable features and aids, and usually offer more weight capacity and strength everywhere. Lots of little details that add up, especially for a newcomer who doesn't know much about what to look for.

People tend to think of a motorhome as a vehicle and want "new", but it is first and foremost a "house" and previously-owned should not be considered a negative. Often it is just the opposite.

If you insist on a new one, I would probably be looking at the Tiffin Phaeton, Fleetwood Discovery and maybe the Thor Tuscany XTE. However, a lot would depend on the floor plan and size you are interested in and there are other contenders. Remember, you will get a substantial discount off MSRP, so your $250k budget should buy you a coach with an MSRP of $300k or more.

I agree with Gary, buy a high end used MH from a quality builder. That would include Monoco, Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme, and American Coach just to name a few. Good luck shopping.

Thank you for your replies.  Have anyone can tell me about Holiday Rambler brand? It is one I am looking at.

Holiday Rambler is part of the Monaco line.  It wasn't always, therefore older models are the Holiday Rambler line which Monaco bought some years ago.  After Monaco's bankruptcy some of the Holiday Rambler models and some of the Monaco models were brought back into production.

ArdraF

Holiday Rambler has been a Monaco brand for nearly 20 years, but has always been a good coach.  We bought our Endeavor LE new in 1997 and it has served us well for 16+ years of full timing and now for our summer trips up north.

Good grief, Ned!  Twenty years already?  My how time flies when you're having fun....

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Holiday Rambler is part of the Monaco line.  It wasn't always, therefore older models are the Holiday Rambler line which Monaco bought some years ago.  After Monaco's bankruptcy some of the Holiday Rambler models and some of the Monaco models were brought back into production.

ArdraF
and now....  a part of Fleetwood and made in Indiana on the "New Freightliner/Roadmaster chassis.

so they kinda just bought the name.

Good grief, Ned!  Twenty years already?  My how time flies when you're having fun....

Yep, our 1997 was the last year they were built in the old HR plant.  Production moved to the (then) new Monaco facility in 1998 and they started using the Roadmaster chassis for the Endeavor LE in place of Freightliner.  A step down, in my opinion :)

We've liked our Roadmaster chassis in both Monacos  - but it's no longer being made either.  We feel we've really lucked out with our current Executive.  Many Monaco people (current and ex) have told us we have the best model they ever made including the chassis and Cummins engine.  (fingers crossed!)

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We've liked our Roadmaster chassis in both Monacos  - but it's no longer being made either.  We feel we've really lucked out with our current Executive.  Many Monaco people (current and ex) have told us we have the best model they ever made including the chassis and Cummins engine.  (fingers crossed!)

ArdraF

yes.... I think Ned is the first person I've ever heard of that didn't absolutely love the Roadmaster chassis.

(unless he's kidding )

He hasn't experienced the Roadmaster chassis, and therefore has no basis for disliking it.

I don't dislike the Roadmaster chassis, I just think that the Freightliner is better.  Freightliner has been building heavy duty truck chassis much longer than the Roadmaster was in business.  And Roadmaster was built by an RV manufacturer and we know how good their quality is :(

Without experience of the Roadmaster chassis, you have no basis for your opinion  ;)

Well, it's just an opinion.  Everyone has one, or more.  There have been problems with some of the Roadmaster chassis, but I've not experienced them ;)

If you'd waited before buying the Endeavor, you would have experienced a great chassis  ;)

We did experience a really great chassis :D  It's academic today, if you want a Monaco brand diesel motorhome made after 1997, you get a Roadmaster chassis.  Actually, the chassis is not the most important factor in the buying decision, there are much more important things to look at.  Same for engines, you get what you get.

But you didn't experience a Roadmaster chassis, and therefore have no basis for comments on the chassis, which is what we were talking about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom