Towing a Hyundai Elantra ( Manual 5 speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barryn514

We are looking to tow our 2009 Hyundai Elantra, 5 speed manual tranny. The owners manual is very vague so went to a Hyundai dealer and asked someone in service but I could tell she wasn't sure so she went to someone else and said that Hyundai did not make a car that could be towed 4 down because there would have to be something to move the fluid around. Still wasn't really satisfied so called Hyundai CS and he would not give me an infinitive answer because he said they could not comment to a yes or no answer.

Went to Remco and according to their website, it should be towable as is. I know that Blue ox makes a base plate for our car.

This is why I am asking if anyone is using this car for a toad.

Don't want to go spend 3,000 + on equipment for this toad and have problems.

THANKS!

One of the advantages of a tow dolly. More work to hitch up, more versatile for toads. Buy one dolly, have ability to tow any front wheel drive without re-rigging every car you acquire over time.

Bill

Yeah, that's a conundrum.  Manual tranny vehicles are generally towable, but most front drive transaxles still use hydraulic fluid and overheating due to inadequate lubrication remains a possibility. Few car manufacturers test for extended towing, so they mostly avoid going "on record" with an approval that would make them liable for damages if it failed. Most owner manuals will state a towing limit of 25 miles (or similar) in emergencies, but stop short of actual approval. So, it should be fine but you are on your own if a problem does arise.

Even if others are doing it, your results may differ theirs. Travel hours, speed, outside temperature, etc. all have an effect.  Plus you can still have long term problems. Overheating and increased wear may not detectable  until many miles have been accumulated.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing it - odds are strong that you will be fine. Just wanted you to understand what you are getting into.

We've got the '04 Elantra 5spd manual transmission and have been towing 4-down.  Took it on a 7500 mile trip this last summer with no problems.  We went the Blue Ox route all around with the base plate, Alpha tow bar, and wireless Patriot brake.  Everything was well engineered and instructions were easy to follow.  I don't think you'll have any problems with the '09 version.

Thank all for the replies. Just found this in a Hyundai forum. Have wrote to Hyundai to verify.

Just received the Following TSB from Hyundai.
Hope it answers your question(s)

Technical Service Bulletin

GROUP NUMBER
GENERAL
INFORMATION
11-GI-007
DATE MODEL(S)
NOVEMBER, 2011 ALL
SUBJECT:
RECREATIONAL TOWING REQUIREMENTS
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TSB 08-GI-003 TO INCLUDE RWD, HEV, AND DCT VEHICLES

Description:
This bulletin provides requirements for towing 2WD (2-wheel drive) Hyundai vehicles equipped with manual transmissions with all four wheels on the ground, such as may be done to tow behind a recreational vehicle.

Applicable Vehicles: ALL

? CAUTION

The combinations listed in the TABLE below which state ?NO? in the ?Four wheels on the ground? column MUST NOT be towed behind a recreational vehicle with all four wheels on the ground.

Drivetrain Transmission Four wheels on the ground AWD (all-wheel drive)
Automatic NO

FWD (front-wheel drive)
Automatic (including DCT (dual clutch transmission) NO
Manual YES

RWD (rear-wheel drive)
HEV (hybrid electric vehicle)
Automatic NO
Manual YES

Circulate To: General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager, Warranty Manager, Service
Advisors, Technicians, Body Shop Manager, Fleet Repair

I wrote to Hyundai and this is the reply I received from them in writing. Hope this helps others that are considering a Hyundai, manual trans as a toad. I guess it depends on whom you talk with.  ::)

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate that you took the time to contact us regarding if you can flat tow your 2009 Elantra behind a recreational vehicle (RV).

We understand that you may have become aware of a concern that appears common or a running campaign from a third party source; such as internet findings, independent repair facility, friends, etc. Please understand that Hyundai is unable to validate the credibility of third party sources and is only able to accept diagnosis from certified Hyundai technicians. Additionally, some mechanical concerns can be caused by many factors unrelated to "common concerns" or running campaigns and we apologize for this inconvenience.

We have provided the following information that should answer your inquiry:

Two Wheel Drive Hyundai vehicles equipped with a Manual Transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, such as may be done behind a recreational vehicle.

Two Wheel Drive Hyundai with Manual Transmission

The following precautions must be followed before attempting to tow a two wheel drive Hyundai vehicle equipped with a manual transmission:

1.Transmission oil is at the recommended level
2.Transmission is in a correct working order
3.Parking brake is released
4.Gearshift is in NEUTRAL
5.Steering wheel is unlocked with the ignition switch in the ?ACC? position. (*NOTE* For vehicles equipped with push button start: without depressing the brake pedal, push the start button once to set the ignition to the ?ACC position)
6.Drive wheel tires are the same size (front tires on front wheel drive, rear tires on rear wheel drive)
7.Drive wheel tire pressures are equal and inflated to the recommended pressures (front tires on front wheel drive, rear tires on rear wheel drive)
8.Vehicle is towed from the front with all four wheels on the ground

Please Note:

1.When the ignition is in the ?ACC? position, make sure all the accessories are off to prevent battery drain
2.When towing has been completed, be sure to turn the ignition OFF and set the parking brake
3.Do not leave the ignition ON with the vehicle unattended.

We hope that this information is what you were looking for. We do recommend that you contact your preferred Hyundai dealer to get any further information that you may need in regards to flat towing your Elantra behind an RV.

If you have any further comments, you may respond to this email, or if you prefer, you can reach us by calling our toll-free customer service number, (800) 633-5151, so we may properly gather the details of your case. Our hours of operation are 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday and 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time Saturday and Sunday.

We value your feedback and we have documented your inquiry as case number 7686558, which may be referenced if we can provide further assistance. Any Case Manager will be happy to assist you.

Back
Top Bottom