I will use a wifi only iPad mini as GPS (no built-in gps)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtrevinoh

What would be a cheap yet reliable way to track my routes offline, without using my phone or hotspot data plan??

USB GPS Dongle receiver, maps downloaded for off line use. Read about it. Have not tried it yet.

I think you may be a bit surprised at this but I don't think the IPad has a built in GPS, at least my wife's does not and I don't recall seeing it as an option. I don't think it is capable of giving a precise location. My Samsung pad does have a GPS however, along with maps but I have not used it for that purpose yet. Although it is a wifi only unit, it can be used much as a normal GPS unit is. Since it has built-in mapping and the GPS it does not require an online outside data source.

Most phones and pads seem to rely on maps being downloaded a bit at a time as required, probably because of memory requirements, by using cell phone data facilities. Location is established using known sources of Cell signals (AFIK). Many regard the purpose built GPS unit such as Garmin as a better choise especially since they can be purchased with free map updates (and traffic prediction in larger cities) or by using a PC with mapping software and a GPS receiver input, the USB GPS dongle mentioned above.

I prefer my Garmin for that purpose!!

Go out on ebay and pick-up a bluetooth GPS receiver. Under $35 with shipping.  Your iPad will connect via bluetooth to make it wireless.  Then download mapping software.  Found this http://www.randmcnally.com/product/the-road-atlas-ipad-app.  This company even offers a RV version but kind of pricey compared to the standard version. 

The Nexus 10 tablet has a built-in GPS receiver, no network access required. I use it for aviation and vehicle applications. Battery life becomes an issue, so you do need to plug in.

Wifi-only iPads have no GPS. iPads with mobile data option, have GPS. GPS is integrated into the cellular chipset.

As already stated, an add-on bluetooth GPS will handle the GPS part. You just need a navigation app that allows pre-downloaded maps. At one point that was an issue for a Wifi iPad since the app assumed no GPS, so would not let you buy it. But nowadays not much of an issue. Those types of apps are usually not free, or at least not with voice guidance.

Michael

Tinmania:

Have you any suggestions for IPad apps that fit the criteria you mentioned (allows pre-downloaded maps, ignores the  GPS required download requirement) and a compatible map source???

(Thanks for supplying the reasoning behind the lack of GPS!!!)

Going to chirp in here suggesting to look into but The following is a copy and paste description and was not written by me personally.

The Rand McNally Road Atlas has been the ultimate road travel accessory for over 90 years, allowing for dependable navigation and travel planning across the country. With the Rand McNally Road Atlas app, you get all the high quality maps you would receive in our legendary paper road atlas on a digitally enhanced version for iPad.
The iPad edition includes:

Updated maps for all 50 states, including Canadian provinces, Mexico and Puerto Rico
No connectivity required after download
Detailed inset maps for large cities and national parks
Pinch-and-zoom functionality
Easy navigation between maps
Clean user interface for seamless viewing

Disclaimer: This is from the Apple App Store and I have no personal experience with the app itself.

Alfa38User said:
Tinmania:

Have you any suggestions for IPad apps that fit the criteria you mentioned (allows pre-downloaded maps, ignores the  GPS required download requirement) and a compatible map source???

(Thanks for supplying the reasoning behind the lack of GPS!!!)
My recommendation is Motion-X GPS Map/Drive. It will work on a Wifi iPad with an external GPS receiver.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom