Does anyone Straight Talk and its mobile hotspot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

The internet in our park is often not accessible, we assume because of heavy Netflix use- so we threw in the towel and bought a Straight Talk mobile Hotspot.

Before we set it up, we wonder if anyone has any hints and/or tips for its use?

And yes, we know that it ill be slow, and it eats $$$ but our use in Mbs is low.

Elly

We have thee straight talk and I also have Verizon mi fi for work.I only put 1gig at a time on the ST as I can't get it to show usage .This way we never leave data at end of card month.

We have the Straight Talk UMX 3G hotspot that we use as a backup to our regular Verizon 4G cell modem service and short term portable use away from our coach. The slower speed is obvious, but acceptable for most purposes. The 4 and 5GB 60 day cards at $10/GB are what we usually use when we want the service active. One downside to the UMX device is that it does not accept an external antenna, limiting its range somewhat.

Sorry I have no input for this but am interested in what folks say on the subject. We use our Verizon service for internet. We have a 15 GB plan which is shared by 5 phones. When we are on the road we hot spot the phone to run the internet. Works very well but we do run right up to the end of our data each month. Would be nice to have some kind of back up plan. Verizon will add data but not sure what that would cost us. The plan we are on now cost me 2 sheep, 3 cows, and my first born as it is. Looking to lower cost next year when we are out of contract.

Check your Verizon plan first for the overage cost, and if it's more than $10/GB, the Straight Talk hotspot could be a good alternative for you. On our Verizon $20GB/mo plan, the overages are only $8/GB, so we only use the Straight Talk hotspot for occasional portable use most of the time, but the primary purpose for us is if our cell modem should fail for some reason. If we're nearing the end of the Straight Talk 60 day limit with much data left, we sometimes use it where speed is not much of a factor to save a bit on the Verizon overage that month.

I purchased a Straight Talk Hotspot (Z288L) and just set it up yesterday. Speedtest result was 4.89 Download  2.08 Upload (FWIW).

Is there a way to check the Balance of Data left in the account or how much I have used in a given period? I'm not seeing it on their website.

dverstra said:
I purchased a Straight Talk Hotspot (Z288L) and just set it up yesterday. Speedtest result was 4.89 Download  2.08 Upload (FWIW).

Is there a way to check the Balance of Data left in the account or how much I have used in a given period? I'm not seeing it on their website.

Tried here???  https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/h/checkbalance

Not sure if this is what you need or not but I do not have a Straight Talk account to verify the contents. (Google is your friend ;D )

Alfa38User said:
Tried here???  https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/h/checkbalance

Not sure if this is what you need or not but I do not have a Straight Talk account to verify the contents. (Google is your friend ;D )

Thanks for the link. Yes, I had tried that part of their website. Previously, it had not worked for me. Now it says that I have a zero balance but yet I can still surf the web with it. Maybe I just have to give it a little time to catch up.:>)

I have always shown 0 balance.Called them once got nothing that helped from someone I could hardly understand.I just put 1 gig at a time on it as it is used as a backup for my Verizon mifi.

If you do not use your Straight Talk Mobile Hotspot for a few months and the prepaid data expires, can you simply purchase new prepaid data and use your Mobile Hotspot again? Or will your account be cancelled?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom