Gps vs Phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

La_Wx_Nut

Ok im not sure where else to post this, but what would be better. Gps like a Garmin vs using my phone.

I know the main thing is no data usage and wont drain my battery with the GPS but I have plenty of data and have a car charger.

What are other pros and cons to a gps  vs phone.

Screen size and ease of navigating the software  ???

They're like apples and oranges.  You need a GPS for traveling because cell service is not always available.  A GPS is designed for that purpose and to my way of thinking easier to use.  There are advantages to a cell phone IF you're in an urban area where there's coverage.  One actual use comes to mind.  We were in a truck stop that was very crowded and there was construction.  As Jerry was filling up I was looking around trying to guess where the exit was because nothing looked reasonable.  Jerry checked the aerial view on his cell phone.  Lo and behold, the exit view was blocked by heavy construction equipment and I could see I needed to go around the row of trucks parked in front of me.  That was impressive.  But for actual directions driving I prefer the GPS which has better sound and is easier to see up on the dash.  We have a Garmin nuvi 2757LM which has a 7" screen.  I like the latest way it gives directions.  For example, turn right at the light before Appleby's or Stay in the second lane from the right.  The cell phone isn't as clear giving directions.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
They're like apples and oranges.  You need a GPS for traveling because cell service is not always available. 

ArdraF

This is not always true. Some cell phone GPS apps such as CoPilot Live store all of their maps in internal memory. I routinely use mine for navigating in areas where no cell phone cervice is available. On the other hand, when I needed it to take find the nearest place to get a generator repaired, I did need to use cell phone service.

Joel

I prefer the Garmin on the road. To quickly find something around town I use the phone with voice command. I just pick it up, say find WalMart, take me there. real simple

A GPS is better for US citizens travelling in Canada,  because Canadian data plans are very expensive.

Jeannine

Google maps for IOS and Android lets you download maps for offline use.

i'm using iphone when i don't need big screen for nav and ipad mini (with gps) when i need. I have iGo installed on both with offline maps and MotionX for offroad driving (no directions but very nice tracking)

I find there are 3 items i continue to use together..maps (the paper kind!)  Garmin, and android cell apps like Google Maps, Yelp, Trip Advisor.  Maps for the big picture,  Garmin for highway navigation including the capability to have planned stopping points, and apps for finding other things on the road IF there is adequate cell phone coverage.

I suppose it depends entirely on the person and also what you got used to.  When we first started, we thought we really needed a GPS system installed.  Well that was going to be a little spendy and we had other things to get first.  Well, it's been 2+ years now and we still haven't got one.  My Iphone IS a GPS, albeit a small screen.  The GPS apps I have continue to work even when there is not cell service, but I enter the location before take off *with* cell service.  My husband drives, I usually plan the route *before* we take off.  I usually have several navigating tools when traveling to new to us places.  Paper map, and these apps open on my Iphone: Waze (We use this the most, it lets us know if there is police, accident, rd hazard, backed up traffic, etc ahead) love it! And I think it was a free app.  All stays (I like to see what campgrounds etc are around us) and iExit I use sometimes.  Oh, and I usually have geocaching open so I can see how many are in the area  ;D. But that is with Bill driving and me always letting him know what's up ahead and how far, wouldn't work so well with one person  ;)  Waze has served us very well when driving the towed around in a new city.  It has routed us around backed up traffic and accidents many times.  We used to get very puzzled when it would have us going a completely different way home than how we got there, until we would see the backed up traffic.  Now we are learning to trust it a little better.  I still would like a GPS that is motorhome specific though, I have a fear of being directed under too low of clearance  :eek:

We use Sygic and have not had a problem when we are out of cell service..  Maps are resident in the phone and do not take up much room.  I only download the ones I need.  Just dont forget to download new ones as you move around the country

With the right app a cellphone/tablet is nearly every bit as good as a dedicated GPS. In some cases better, such as having the ability to use GPS sats, cell towers, and wifi locations in order to get a fix on your location. By "right app" I mean one with not only offline maps but the ability to operate completely without cell service (so it can route, reroute, and access points of interests without using any data). Some such apps are literally the same app that runs on a dedicated GPS.

As for me I primarily rely on listening to the turn directions so don't rely on the screen.

All that said I usually have cell signal and find Google Now--or Siri if on an iPhone--indispensable. I simply say "take me to walmart" and I'm instantly directed to the nearest walmart. Or say any locations to get its phone number--a tap away--and directions, also a tap away. Last weekend I had a bulb burn out and asked for the nearest auto parts store. Google Now was able to understand what I said, and direct to me to a NAPA store that was less than half mile down the road (Siri could have done likewise). My phone responds to "OK Google" at any time, which puts it in listening mode, but I can use my smar****ch to do the same thing and it is more reliable. In case you didn't know you can use Siri/Google Now to remind you of something at a specific location. I use that often (e.g, "remind me to switch off batteries when I get home").

Michael

Back
Top Bottom