Oldest Motorhome Photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

We are interested in collecting photos of early motorhomes, real classics that have been lovingly cared for and are still running.? If you have one of these beautiful gems, please hit the REPLY button and tell us about it.?

Be sure to include a photo, by clicking "Additional options" at the bottom left of the message composition window.

Use the "Browse" feature to point to your photo on your computer and upload it along with your message.

Remember there is a maximum number of pictures and upload size, so check under the "ATTACH" box for details before uploading.

Have a look at the attached photo.

Attachments

• Dreeem.jpg
    Dreeem.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 147
Steve,

Attached is a photo I recently took at the J.B Nethercutt museum in Sylmar, CA. The car is a 1930 something Pierce Arrow. I don't remember who made the trailer but the finish inside must have cost a lot of money. It's as good as anything I've seen today. Unfortunately it was too dark inside the trailer for pictures even with the monopod I had. No flash is allowed in the museum.

Attachments

• IMG_2723 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2723 (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 153
I don't think this qualifies as an old motorhome, but it's in keeping with you theme. I was going through some old family photos the other day and found this one. I believe it's my Grandmother's two brothers, but naturally no one wrote on the back who was in the picture.

Chet

Attachments

• AutoCamp (1).jpg
    AutoCamp (1).jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 161
Looks like they were all set for some hunting or something  :).  Great photo Chet.  Thanks dor posting it.

Are you talkin about classic's that are still in use?

I have this one and use it every summer but I've only
ever seen but 2 like it. one in a campground in NE Iowa
and one for sale on Ebay. It is a 1982 Shasta on a Ford F240
Sleeps 4, has kitchen and full bath with shower in back.
It's just my wife and I using it but there are times we did
wish it were just a little bigger.

BTW, I'm new here and am enjoying the learning experience
thanks for allowing me to become a part.

John

Attachments

• DSC0004.jpg
    DSC0004.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 152
Hi John and welcome to the RV Forum  Glad to see you here.  Your oldie but goodie looks real sharp.  You obviously give it a lot of TLC. :)  If you have any questions, feel free to ask away or if you see a message from someone that you feel you can contribute an answer to please go ahead and jump in.

Hi John,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Thanks for sharing a photo of you MH.  Really looks like it has been taken good care of.  Please feel free to ask questions, Join in any of the discussions, or start a discussion.  Glad to see you here, please make yourelf right at home here.

IowaCamper said:
Are you talkin about classic's that are still in use?

Nice looking rig, John.  Welcome to the group.

Phil

Here's a '50s trailer, manufacturer unknown.  It's a "rescued" hunting camp, recently put back on the road by a friend of ours.  Sorry I didn't get a better shot of the interior, but it's all original, except for seating surfaces and upholstery.

George/ATL

Attachments

• maxinside.jpg
    maxinside.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 132
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the wonderful comments on my old Shasta M/H.  It has been well maintained but used. Has 122000 Miles on her but still looks new inside and out.  It does matter how they are cared for.

I'm hoping to either sell the old gal this Spring or maybe trade her for a little newer unit.
Would like to get a 26' or 28' pull behind.  just hoping my Ole Dodge 1500 will pull something like that.

Thanks again for  the welcome.

John

IowaCamper said:
Has 122000 Miles on her but still looks new inside and out.  It does matter how they are cared for.

John,

It's obvious that you know the ins and outs of MH maintenance.  We look forward to your contributions to the forum.

Phil

Hi Folks,

With respect to old motorhomes, let me float this out to see if anyone can shed some further light on the matter. I have recently acquired a 1957 Mercury RV that supposedly was 'factory built' in Ontario. What I can tell you about it is this...

The chassis is a Ford P-350 panel/delivery but since it was a Canadian truck it was branded as Mercury. The body is one of the Grumman Aerobilt - all aluminum models. A plate inside carries the following:

The Van-Wilson Equipment Co., Ltd.
Model SK2212    Capacity G78
Date 8M 57

I have heard that this company did bus conversions years ago but they are no longer in business and I could locate no leads on the company?s history. There is also a Ford chassis ID plate as well.

There are a number of features that support the ?Factory? parentage as opposed to a home modification which include:

- A very professional raised roof
- Doors and windows appropriate for a ?camper?. Even a frosted glass window for the bathroom.
- Dual Gas tanks
- A rear bumper that holds the propane tanks internally on spring-loaded platforms.
- venting, plumbing, dual electrical systems, exterior lighting, all the little details.
- The interior is very well done and there is a curved aluminum support system in the back which keeps the upper bunk raised when not in use.

I am hopeful that maybe someone has seen one like this before and might be able to share some information. It is completely original and when some free time permits (being a sucker for oddities) I shall attempt a proper restoration. Maybe even strip the paint and go with a polished aluminum affect like some people do with their Airstreams.

Anyway, Thanks for letting me bend you ear and I look forward to getting acquainted with this forum.

Cheers,
Dwight

Attachments

• 1957MercuryRV.jpg
    1957MercuryRV.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 105
Dwight,

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for introducing us to your very unusual, but beautiful motorhome.? I've can't recall seeing one like this but it sounds like it might be fun researching.

Have you considered writing an article for submission to The Explorer RV Club?? The exposure of their magazine to Canadian RVers might just bring you some information.

In what part of N.S are you located?? ?It's great to have a Forum member in Nova Scotia as we frequently have inquiries from members pplanning trips to your Province.

Hope you'll make the RV Forum part of your regular online activities!

Hi Steve,

Haven't heard of the Explorer RV Club but I'll check them out.

I live on the South Shore of Nova Scotia in a small town called Bridgewater, about an hour from the capital city Halifax. Lunenburg and Mahone Bay are just a few klicks away so the area does have a significant tourist draw. More than happy to share my knowledge of the province if it would be helpful to someone.

Our family are primarily campers at this point and we have no RVing experience per se. This 'project' just caught our fancy. Hopefully, in the not too distant future we might get do a little exploring of our own in it!

What part of the Country do you hail from Steve?

-Dwight

Bridgewater...the home of Coleman RV and Bob Coleman...know him well.  Also have a friend living in Dartmouth who just bought a new RV from Bob.  Explorer Club is the Canadian RV club providing info, a decent magazine plus access to discount Rv insurance.  Have a look at their website, the link is in my previous message in theis discussion thread.

Originally from Montreal, our home base is now in our Nation's Capital!!  We are still essentially fulltimers, spending just a couple of months in OW.

Have travelled extensively in our wonderful Maritimes alone and with groups of friends.  Possible trip that way this summer.

Keep us posted on your  restoration project as it sounds especially interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom