Ipad App

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we have used this app for 2 years now. The iPad gives it a bigger display than a typical GPS; i.e. Garmin which is great for quick glances. The software is "RV aware" after you go through your setup. It then attempts to navigate you around situations your specific vehicle may not be able to go, for example height restrictions, bridge weight limitations, etc. It navigates typical to must GPS's but does have a few nice features, weather along the route, upcoming rest stops, Walmart's, and traffic/construction issues. If you all ready have an iPad and it contains the GPS chip (not all iPads have this, I know an AT&T enabled iPad does) the $100 for the app is well forth it. We have the iPad sitting to the ash tray under the car radio so watching it is easy to see and not in the way.

Trickett,
I did go ahead and purchase the software. It is very good. It even warns me of severe upcoming curves. The iPad we have does not have the GPS chip so I purchased a GPS plug-in (Bad Elf) for $99.00. The cost of the software and GPS device was still quite a bit less than an RV specific 7 inch stand alone. The only drawback I have found is the inability to enter PIO's into the database. But as you pointed out most everything I want/need is there already.

I can highly recommend.

We have 2 IPADS and I think this is the way to go based on the comments I see here.  We are now planning our first RV trip this summer from Fl to Maine. (In the cold months the RV is in storage in central Fl and we are sailing in the keys or further south.  I have a GARMIN boat nav APP that I use as a backup to the onboard electronics and it works great to use the IPAD to do the what ifs and leave the drivers display alone, it will hopefully be the same in RV!)

Question:  How do these APPS get traffic delays?  I use GMAPS now (check the appropriate box on choices) and in a recent non RV trip to Miami I was amazed how useful AND correct it was about showing traffic and construction delays

Good question. I looked it up and here is what I found:

Real-time traffic data is compiled by a traffic-information provider, then broadcast over a radio frequency to equipment set up to receive it. Depending on the equipment you have, you'll subscribe to a service that's broadcast over terrestrial FM, or to one that's broadcast along with satellite radio signals. Many new portable navigators now include this real-time traffic info for free. Traffic information doesn't interfere with FM or satellite radio reception, so you can continue to listen to either source while you receive traffic signals.

The traffic information comes from a variety of sources, including commercial traffic data providers, departments of transportation, police and emergency services, road sensors, traffic cameras, and even aircraft reports. This information is compiled and delivered via radio frequency (FM or satellite) to your navigation system. These providers work with the two main companies behind map data for the U.S., Tele Atlas and NAVTEQ?, to deliver accurate representation of traffic data on GPS map displays.

In many areas, there are actual sensors buried in the concrete. on freeways and byways  Some of these are speed sensors, some are mass sensors..Some simply presence/absence/number of vehicles sensors... They feed computers somewhere nearby..(I used to work next to one with the serial number 0001) (When I say next to it I mean perhaps 5 yards away.. Next room (The door to which was close enough for me to touch without leaving my desk).

We also had over 150 cameras and other means of mapping traffic.

I just installed a navigation app named Wayz.  I haven't used it in the RV yet.  It's crowd sourced.  Everybody who has it can enter what they encounter on the road with a single press of a button on the screen.  Speed trap, junk in the roadway, heavy traffic, etc.  New roads are discovered by simply driving on them.  Other than that it works like any other navigation app out there.

Google bought Waze 2 years ago and incorporates their data into Google Maps on mobile devices.  Google Maps traffic data is excellent and always up to date whenever we've used it.

Oh, WAYZ is a radio station :)

I got the name wrong anyway, it's Waze.  But since I'm on the west coast maybe it should start with a K?

So far I'm not liking the app much.  It's pretty invasive, sucks my battery down very quickly and is littered with alerts and pop ups that just irritate me.  For instance I don't need to know the name of the Waze user two cars in front of me.

That's Kwaze!

But it can be disabled at least.  I can configure which alerts I want to see.  It's battery usage be OK if plugged in to a charger.

Did I mention it was free?  Now that I know Waze is owned by Google (Thanks Ned) I'm thinking it's capturing everything I do so Google can sell my history and interests to third parties?  (Where's my tinfoil hat?!?!)

The only data its harvesting is positional information to share with others. Like everything Google does its STARTING to be Ad supported as you will note when stopped and see the local Pizza joint pop up and goes away immediately when moving.

It uses no more data than any other GPS/ traffic device from my thousands of miles using it..

While you may not like the close in traffic data, those of us CAUGHT in that traffic are keenly aware and would like to know why and how to get around. When on the highway and at speed, those alerts stretch out at least 5 minutes, and often way more if you have a destination loaded. If you don't like its yammering you can reduce it in the menu. Its WAY more accurate than the traffic enabled GPS in the car, and the three on my phone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom