Escapees domicile for a foreigner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankazoid

Hey guys.

I did search on the forum and Escapees sounds like what I need. I just have doubts if it is going to be that easy for a foreigner as well. Although there is no question about SSN anywhere in the forms and I did call Loring & Associates (they didn't have answer for me straight away so I have an appointment). Do any of experienced full timers here heard of any issues foreigner might have with this service?
I'm planning to get my DL and MH registration in Florida (can't get DL in Texas without SSN)

Escapees does not require a SSN. If they did, I'd suggest you walk away, as they have no reason to have that information.

Meanwhile, their web site has an option for "new members not  living in the USA, Canada, or Mexico".

Tom, I think Frank is talking about setting up a Florida based domicile, using the new Escapees satellite domicile address in Bushnell, FL. I don't know what the rules on that are for non-US citizens though. Escapees as a club does not need or require a SSN, but various domicile declaration forms may.

On edit: The Escapees web site has just added new domicile state specific information sections for Florida, South Dakota, and Texas to the mail service page.

www.escapees.com/MailService/Default.aspx

Maybe I'm missing something, but why does a foreigner need to establish a domicile in the U.S.?  I should think their domicile address is in their home country to which they will return when their visit here ends.  Getting a U.S. address for vehicle registration and insurance seems to be another matter entirely.

ArdraF

Of course not, but "domicile" is a legal concept used when people who full-time, for example, need to establish a resident state where they can vote etc.  We also use it when leaving one state for another because it affects things like income taxes, personal property taxes, etc.  So a non-U.S. citizen generally doesn't establish a domicile because they're visitors.

ArdraF

Good catch Ardra.

when people who full-time, for example, need to establish a resident state where they can vote etc.

Folks from overseas without the appropriate visa cannot vote.

Edit: Actually, they can't vote unless/until they become naturalized citizens, an entirely different process.

Voting is certainly not the only reason for establishing a domicile. Until Frankazoid comments further we don't know his status in the US of course, but there are many people legally living in the US who are not citizens. Those folks still need a domicile address for bank accounts, drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, insurance, etc. If they're working, they also need an SSN for tax purposes. Now obviously, if someone is just visiting the US as a tourist then of course they don't need to establish a domicile.

The reason i need a domicile is that i spend considerable time in US and i need to register the RV i legally purchase. Not planning to vote here for sure. I use my friend's address in CA now but it doesn't make much sense to drive there just to get plates on the RV and if domicile service can be provided by some company (escapees in this case) why not use it for everyone's convenience?
Again i'm asking if there are might be any issues and have appointment with a lawyer to make sure it's completely legal, so Andra it's not your concern why am I doing this i believe.

Many 'foreigners' form an LLC (limited liability company) to achieve the same thing without needing to establish domicile.

Frankazoid,

I'm not sure if you're telling me to mind my own business or not, but I assure you I wasn't interested in your private business.  I simply wanted to establish whether you were asking the correct question because of the legal terminology.  As Tom mentioned, there are other ways of doing it.

ArdraF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom