Washington State drivers license and domicile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thewoodsman

Greetings, I would like to ask if anyone has a drivers license from Washington State? I live in a State near and in the process of researchin information of setting up my domicile in Washington for tax reasons before I start travelling. Does anyone know what it takes to get a drivers license in this State;ie:is it simply going to a drivers license office or do I need to actually have a apartment rented with utility bills in my name? Any information would help me as being a beginner of a new life on my horizon. Thank you very much.

Hi Woodie. I am an Ex-Washingtonian but now live in Florida.

Your situation.  Instead of waiting for second-hand answers I suggest you pull up this website >>>  http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/  and read it thoroughly.
  That should give you the real McCoy.

Washington and Oregon are very strict about this sort of thing, since so many people have tried to evade taxes by falsely claiming residency. I'm pretty sure you are going to need real proof of residence.

The link Carson provided will be a good start, even though it is not actually the Washington DMV site. The official Washington state Dept of Licensing site is http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/gettingalicense.html

When I read your question I realizes that even though I've lived in Washington all my life,I didn't know the answer!
So I followed Gary's link and it looks like you can get a license without a street address,but have to apply in person.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html

Moving? Get WA license
By law, you have 30 days to get your Washington driver license once you establish residency in Washington State.

How to establish residency in Washington
You?re considered a Washington resident when you do any of the following:

Arrive and begin establishing a home in Washington.
Register to vote.
Receive state benefits.
Get any Washington State license at resident rates.
Receive in-state tuition fees.
How to get a Washington State driver license
Find out if you can pre-apply online.
If you?re a Washington resident, 18 or older, have never had a Washington driver license, instruction permit, or ID card, and have a Washington residence street address, Pre-apply online and save time in the office. You?ll finish your application at a driver licensing office.
If you,
Don?t have a Washington residence street address, have other special address issues, or currently have or in the past you?ve had a Washington driver license, instruction permit, or ID card. Apply at a driver licensing office.
Are upgrading your license or ID card to an EDL or EID. Apply at a EDL/EID office.
Visit a driver licensing office to start your application or to finish an application you started online. Bring the following with you:
Proof of identity, including your out-of-state license.
Payment for the fees.
Your Social Security number (mandatory to help enforce child support laws).
You don?t need to show us your card, we?ll still be able to verify it.
If you don?t have a Social Security number, you must verify your Washington residence address before you can proceed.
Pass a vision screening.
Pass any required tests:
If you have? Pass these tests?
A valid license from:
Another U.S. state
British Columbia
Germany
South Korea
Taiwan (Taiwan Driver?s License holders wanting to obtain a Washington State Driver?s License, please contact the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Seattle (TECO) at 206.441.4586 ext. 311 or by e-mail at [email protected])
No tests required.
A valid license, but have a medical or physical condition that shows testing is required Knowledge and drive test
An expired license from another state Knowledge and drive test

You can't use WA state as a domicile if you plan to be on the road full time, unless you own property there, or have a physical address you use can use for mail, etc (like a relative's home). We actually live here now but once we sell the house we'll be travelling on borrowed time. If I were you I'd pick a state more friendly to nomads. WA isn't one of them.

Jeff

We went through that process when we sold our home in Arlington in 2005. Unless the official interpretation has changed we could not meet the "Establish a home in Washington" while full timing without owning or leasing property. I talked to the Marysville office who referred me to Olympia.

While we wanted to remain WA residents they were not willing to change our Drivers License and Vehicle Registration addresses to a PMB so we created a domicile in SD.

I know this topic is a little old, but I'm wondering if anyone has updated information and managed to use Washington State as their domicile when full timing WITHOUT owning property, using a relative, etc.

In other words, finding a mail forwarding service that actually works as the address for license and registration.

I am currently still a resident of Washington, my license is valid until 2020.  My car (which I will sell when I buy the RV) is registered in Washington and I vote in Washington.  I also have my passport and global entry cards. The "physical address" on my license and registration is an apartment I don't live at anymore.

I'm currently renting down in Baja California, Mexico - so I have a mail forwarding back in Gig Harbor, WA.  I changed all my credit card addresses over with no problems. I used as a "mailing address" with one my license, but it's not valid as a physical address (i checked).

Before I have to give up being a Washingtonian completely, I'm trying one last ditch attempt to see if anyone has a "real address" supplier in Washington.

I just downloaded the Washington State Residency Definition from the Department of Revenue, and things have changed for RVers.

"Lives in a motor home or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state."

https://dor.wa.gov

We are about to launch and intend to return to Washington after our travels. I'm seeking information about moving our domicile to Washington state at launch.

Back
Top Bottom