exhaust brake vs transmission brake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotthfleming

I am familiar with exhaust brakes or engine brakes, but I have always understood transmission retarders work well but have a tendency to get hot.  can someone offer their expertise please and if they tend to get hot and start tearing the tranny up, then why use this type?  comments please

scott

What kind of vehicle and tranny type are you looking information for? diesel motor vehicles benefit from exhaust brake and gas vehicles downshift the tranny to control speed, not exactly a transmission brake.

A transmission brake such as the Allison Retarder uses the transmission hydraulics to slow the vehicle. Basically it uses hydraulic pressure against a rotor on the transmission output shaft and thus slows the rotation of the drive shaft. Yes, pumping hydraulic fluid against the spinning of the shaft makes heat - that's the shaft energy being dissipated into the fluid, which them must be cooled by the engine/transmission cooling system. All brakes work by converting mechanical energy to heat, so its just a question of where and how that is done. With an engine or exhaust brake, that heat is shed into the engine and from there to the cooling system. The service brakes (disc or drum) shed it into the wheels and brake housing, which is typically finned to help send the heat into the air.

This video explains the Allison operation, both under power and retarding.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4AJ2BvUMG4

I had the Allison transmission retarder on my last rig. They do raise the coolant temperature when going down llong steep grades but I never saw over about 200F. Mine had a six position joy stick for the retarder so it gave me a wide range of braking power. If I saw the temp rising I would just drop down a gear and that would take care of it. With a retarder, in most cases you don't even need your service brakes. One other nice thing about a retarder; they are really great for an emergency stop situation.

I've had a retarder, an exhaust brake and a Jake. For me, the retarder was the best, Jake second and then exhaust. They all do the job though.
jor

GREAT VIDEO!! I have not seen any big increase in temperatures even on long steep down hills. I have found on the steepest hills if I slow to where it is in 3ed gear it will hold even on the steepest hills.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom