Verizon Modem Pantech UML 295 is FREE for now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

Friday - 2/27/2015

I just upgraded from my 5 or 6 year old Pantech UML290 modem because I saw that Verizon was giving away the newer Pantech UML295 modem FREE except I had to pay the sales tax on its full price which meant that my total cost was $16.20.  I already was paying the $20 monthly line cost for the older UML290 modem so that did not change.  I upgraded primarily because the UML295 is XLTE ready so if we are ever in an XLTE area during our travels we should get a faster signal.

BTW, our current internet connection set up is a Pantech UML290 modem sitting in a Wilson Electronics 4G/3G amplifier that is connected to an outside rooftop antenna so the incoming signal is being amplified.  From there the modem is connected to a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router.  I still like our Cradlepoint 1000 router connection because of its security protection choices.  We almost never use a campgrounds WiFi because of security concerns.

If anyone in the RVFORUM is using a Pantech UML290 modem, or any other modem connected to a router, you might look into getting the newer Pantech UML295 modem while they are FREE except for sales tax.

Just a thought because you would get a XLTE ready modem.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
I upgraded primarily because the UML295 is XLTE ready so if we are ever in an XLTE area during our travels we should get a faster signal.

Jerry,

According to this article, Salt Lake City-Ogden is already receiving XLTE.

Where on Verizon's web site did you find the UML295 USB Modem?

Thanks for the heads up. If I can find the UML295 I will be replacing my UML 290 USB Modem. Rochester, NY and Tucson, AZ are both listed as having XLTE.

R

R,

Just go to Verizon's SHOPPING but first be logged into your Verizon account.  Look at the "stuff" they have for sale and click on the Pantech UML295 modem and you'll see that the regular price is $195 but for now it's free except for sales tax.  My sales tax was calculated on the Nevada sales tax rate and it came out to $16.20.  My TOTAL cost was $16.20 with NO increase in my monthly fee because I already had a UML290 activated on my account

Jerry

Monday - 3/2/15

I just received my NEW Verizon Pantech UML295 modem.  Take a look at my first speed Test.  Las Vegas is an XLTE area.  BTW, using my "old tired" Pantech UML 290 the best I ever had was about 10.0 download.

WOW this XLTE really works!!!

JerryF

PS, it appears that my Verizon i510 Charge Phone is also receiving the XLTE signal because a speed test showed 17.67 DOWN and 7.04 UP.  BTW, my i510 Charge phone is NOT listed as being XLTE ready.

Attachments

• Speed Test (Medium).jpg
    Speed Test (Medium).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 13
We checked on how much DATA  we were using on MY smart phone's "unlimited data" plan and finally realized only that specific phone had the unlimited data plan.  Then we changed to Verizon's "more everything" plan and now we have more than enough data 8Gb/month shared among the UML295 modem and our two i510 Charge Droid smart phones.  Sharing between these three devices give us more flexibility because we use very little data on our two phones and lots and lots of data on the UML295 modem.  An unexpected benefit of doing this was we now also have  unlimited calling and unlimited messages.  Another benefit was that our monthly bill did not increase; it  went down $4.00 per month. 

Here is an interesting story.  Yesterday, after installing the new Pantech UML295 XLTE enabled modem I downloaded a 305 page PDF camera manual.  As usual with windows explorer the blue line that goes from the left to the right across the screen to show the download progress started its movement from left to right.  Then when it reached almost 25% of the way across the screen it instantly disappeared as if I canceled the download BUT in its place the cover page of the manual appeared.  Upon checking I found that the manual was there completely downloaded (6.5 mb).  It only took 4-5  seconds.  It amazed me so much that I did it again.  This XLTE 4G speed is GREAT!  Finally something faster than 300 Baud.

BTW, If you wonder, Verizon can look up your data use for the last couple of years. 

With the new XLTE UML295 modem, I am getting 21mb DOWN and 10mb UP during the most busy time of time day.

JerryF

Back
Top Bottom