Monaco Door Stop Hardware Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zmotorsports

As many of you already know the Monaco scissor style mechanism to catch and hold the entrance door is a dismal attempt and a very poor design.  There are a ton of "how to" threads out there on how to remove the antiquated scissor style and install a gas strut style door stop.  I finally got around to doing the modification on our Dynasty over the weekend.

One difference that I noted on our coach was I had to make a small notch in the drip rail which on the other threads I have not noticed existed.  No big deal, I just marked where the strut was going to be orientated and used a sharp utility knife to make a small notch.

First picture shows the notch in the drip rail.

Second pictures shows the mock up of the bracket on the coach.  I was trying to determine the best location.

Third picture is of the door open and gas strut (20") extended all the way and the door at 90-degrees for marking the location on the door.

Fourth picture is of the installation complete and the door closed. 

Fifth picture is of the coach mounted bracket and one that I machined to match so I could enclose the opening in the door jamb.

More pictures continued in next post.

Mike.

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 222
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 204
  • door3.jpg
    door3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 221
  • door4.jpg
    door4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 203
  • door5.jpg
    door5.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 184
Next up I decided to machine a cover for the opening on top of the door itself.  I measure the small OEM scissor arm and made an aluminum cover that was slightly oversized to completely cover the opening.  It measured 1.5" x 3" and had a groove machined around the perimeter so it would sit down into the recess of the door.

First picture shows the alumimun cover in my mill vise.  I used the measurements from the OEM door closer and transferred them and then used a 3/8" end mill to mill a small flat in which the rivets would sink donw in to.

Second picture shows shows the completed cover sitting next to the OEM scissor assembly for size reference.

Third picture shows the step on the underside of the cover.

Fourth picture shows the cover installed in the door jamb of the coach with the countersunk screws.

Fifth pictures shows the cover riveted to the top of the door.  Of course no one will see it up there.

All in all it was a pretty simple and straight forward modification.  One thing I didn't take a picture of was the completed job after touching up the heads of the screw with black paint.  They blended right in with the brackets and you can't even see the screw heads from the ground level.

Mike.

Attachments

• door6.jpg
    door6.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 129
  • door7.jpg
    door7.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 111
  • door8.jpg
    door8.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 127
  • door9.jpg
    door9.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 133
  • door10.jpg
    door10.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 139
Chet18013 said:
Nice job Mike. Can I order one of the kits for the modification? The same latch on our SIG is getting very hard to close.

Thanks Chet.

It doesn't really come in a kit per se, I just ordered the G22 gas strut (qty 1) and the G825 hardware package (qty 1) from Amazon.  Fairly cheap compared the $80.+ dollars for a new scissor door hardware from Monaco and it is still the same piece of crap design.

Mike.

Mike,
    That really is a nice fix for a common problem. I have and 05'Holiday Rambler and yes I am having the same problem. The door while parked on the jacks gets very hard to open. I have tracked it down to that very poorly designed scissor hinge. Does your door now open and close nicely? Is the 20 lb strut strong enough to open and close the door? I would love to try your kit. I have not been able to find the hardware kit on Amazon you mentioned though.

Bill

We just spend out first week trip in Moab this past week and the new door hardward worked perfectly.  I should have done it years ago rather then put up with the poorly designed scissor assembly. 

You simply release the latch and open it about six inches and let go, the gas strut does the rest.  I opens smoothly and controlled all the way to 90 degrees and comes to a soft stop.  The door remains there even going in and out with the screen door without attempting to close even in a slight breeze.  Nothing like before.  Even with the slight incline of our driveway the door opens easily on its own and remains open.  I don't think I would go with anything less than the 20 lb. gas strut.

Here are the two parts that I ordered from Amazon to complete the modification.
http://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-G825-Prop-Bracket/dp/B003YJPIVK

http://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-G22-Gas-Prop/dp/B002XM3G9A

The brackets in the first link come two per package so only one package is necessary.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I have ordered the gas shock and mounts to put your modification on our coach. Then this morning I looked at your photos again and I see that our door is not a rectangle like yours is. Do you think the modification can be made to work on our door? See below:

Attachments

• _DSC1709.jpg
    _DSC1709.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 65
Ours isn't symmetrical either.  The front upper corner has a taper to it although maybe not quite as much as yours.  It should still work.

Mike.

Attachments

• coach.jpg
    coach.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom