Backing up for a new RV driver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andybal1

I observed, when doing a terrible job backing into my driveway with our new 5th wheel (Gulf Stream Prarie Schooner 2007) that the first set of wheels on the camper did not stay straight up and down. 

I haven't seen many 5th wheelers park, and maybe I was cutting it too much, but should the front set of tires (2 axles) be angled as I turn?  They came back to up and down at the end, but is this something to worry about - is it something that will break the axle or limit the life?

I'm pretty much a worrier, as you can see.

its okay - you can relax they do bend and twist  a lot when turning especially when backing up

congrats by the way you passed the first test - backed up with out killing anyone or wrecking the trailer

and

congrats on the new trailer ;D

andybal1 said:
They came back to up and down at the end...

It's important that you noted this - if you are parking for any length of time, be sure they come back to their "natural state". While the tires/axles are designed to flex like that during turns, it's not good for them to remain like that when parked.

Yup, that's normal, as long as they recover before you park.  A tip for backing, if you haven't figured it out yet, is to put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.  Then use your rearview mirrors and push your hand in the direction that you want the back of the trailer to go.  Makes it easier than doing all the mathematics to figure it out. 

8) Congrads on the new trailer and backup for the first time.

Typically I pull forward just about a foot to straight the tires and axles out after backing up. But if I was last backing up straight I don't bother. As you towing you'll see in your mirror as you turn corners one of the axles take on the scrubbing which is normal.

I was once towing a goosneck trailer with some test equipment... a mobile office or lab if you will.  It was a tandem axle trailer, probably not built with a great load margin.....

But I used to watch that same thing cautiously when making sharp turns.  Once, on a rainy Easter Sunday when I had to work (ugh), I was making a turn through a median turn lane.  Don't remember if it was a u-turn or not, but I watched as the axle snapped and that tire just laid right on over.  Done.

I ended up getting stronger axles installed.

Yes, these trailers are made to do that.
your trailer is for sure designed properly (mine was not)
but still, I would take it easy and slow when turning short, and avoid very short radius turns when possible.  No sense tempting fate....

I looked back once when I was backing into a very difficult place and the inside front wheel of the fifth wheel was completely off the ground.  Didn't seem to damage anything.

I tuck off my pasanger mirror once    have trained spotter    is just as important as being a good driver yourself.    For some reason it made sense for my wife to yell tree tree. Instead of stop..... Needless to say I dident stop as the tree snapped the mirror off my van

COMer said:
A tip for backing, if you haven't figured it out yet, is to put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.  Then use your rearview mirrors and push your hand in the direction that you want the back of the trailer to go.  Makes it easier than doing all the mathematics to figure it out.

Good tip!
One of those "Why didn't I think of that??" :-[

One trick I use is I have my wife stand towards the back and spot the trailer. This prevent hitting things in your blind spots. She uses her cell phone and I turn on the speaker phone in the truck. This helps in two ways. I do not have to get out to make sure I am not going to get up against something and it gets her out of the truck.  ???

Just make sure she always stands where you can see her (and stop if she isn't visible). Surprising as it may seem, there are reports of people getting backed over every year.

It's also advisable to have and use an agreed set of hand signals and/or words to avoid confusion in communications. There is an excellent video on standardized signaling at AboutRVing.com - see http://aboutrving.com/hand-signals-for-backing-up-your-rv/

Gary RV Roamer said:
Just make sure she always stands where you can see her (and stop if she isn't visible).

It is so hard sometimes. It appears that it's the first time backing up with my DW. Bless her. When I stop seeing her, I always stop and she just keeps signaling for me to continue. I can hear her but can't see her. I have to admit that she is getting a little better but it's taken years.  ;D  She has started using both hands coming together indicating how much more to backup before stopping.

Rene T said:
It is so hard sometimes. It appears that it's the first time backing up with my DW. Bless her. When I stop seeing her, I always stop and she just keeps signaling for me to continue. I can hear her but can't see her. I have to admit that she is getting a little better but it's taken years.  ;D  She has started using both hands coming together indicating how much more to backup before stopping.

Same thing happens here.
I think I will try to get her to use two hands.

I finally got my wife to understand that if she can't see my face in the mirror, I can't see her either.

FRS radios work very well for the spotter. I put mine on the sun visor to listen, no need to talk back.

I travel alone so nobody to guide me in....so my method is a little different....

[list type=decimal]
[*]Stop on the road outside of the site - get out walk it looking for any obstructions (Including UP)...make my plan
[*]Get large bright green pool noodle from behind the drivers seat - place it just about where I want the drivers side trailer wheels and the utilities - lay it lengthwise, very easy to see in the mirror.
[*]Back in so that the trailer runs right along side the pool noodle.
[*]Done!
[/list]Works for me, but practice makes perfect....I can usually hit the spot on the second try.

Jim

Wigpro said:
Works for me, but practice makes perfect....I can usually hit the spot on the second try.

Jim,
Keep your head up and don't get discouraged. Keep practicing. With a little patience, you'll get eventually.  ;D

The wife and I have a pretty good system. I joke about it but she does a great job of spotting the rig. Same issue of sometimes not being able to see her but that is why we went to the phone. The best part is hearing her tell the camp folks trying to tell you how to park your rig to shut up he knows what he is doing. LOL

When I stop seeing her, I always stop and she just keeps signaling for me to continue.

Someone else already said it but I'll repeat it because it's important.  She should have her eyes on the mirror next to you and make eye contact.  If she can't see you, you can't see her.  When you stop there's a reason and that's when she should rethink her standing position.

By the way, I'm usually the one who parks our motorhome because Jerry knows where he wants to place the motorhome for the utilities and ESPECIALLY the satellite dish.  Here's a man who has to have his satellite TV!  So - it works best for us if I park and he directs.  We use hand signals instead of the FRS or CB.

ArdraF

Rene T said:

• Jim,
    Keep your head up and don't get discouraged. Keep practicing. With a little patience, you'll get eventually.  ;D

• Actually it is not a full second try - my little 5er tends to jackknife, so I generally need to get it going forward again to get lined up with my pool noodle....then when no sharp backing is involved I get it lined right up!!!

But I will keep practicing!

I draw lines on the ground if I can to show her where I want the rear PS corner and she (usually) gets me there.

It took years to teach her to watch overhanging tree limbs, and almost as long to mirror train.  But now that we have a rear view camera the rules have changed so we're still working on it.

Back
Top Bottom