Asked to leave Walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jglass

After a restful night in the Walmart parking lot in Miramar Beach Florida I heard a knock on the side of
our motorhome at around 6:30 AM.  Saw a Walmart employee walking around outside our motorhome.
I opened the driver side exit door and said hello.  The employee said over night parking is not allowed at this Walmart and asked me if anyone said anything the night before.  I told her, "no, never heard anything".    She told me I better leave before the boss arrived.  I said, " I'm on my way" and  left the parking lot in less than 5 minutes.  Another motorhome was also there and asked to leave.

It was dark and late (around 9:00PM) when we found the Walmart on highway #98.  While it was a newer Walmart store the parking lot was not large and it was not a super Walmart.  I had already heard overnight parking at some Florida Walmarts was not allowed but they usually have signs posted in those cases.  It is understandable in the more popular areas like Daytona.  RV's would take over the place for some events.

We drove down highway #98 about 8 miles to Destin Florida and found a Super Walmart with a huge parking lot with a couple of RV's parked.  My wife said, "let's pull into Walmart and have coffee", so we did.  We noticed this Walmart had a Macdonalds inside so we went in and had breakfast.  Had I known this Walmart was there, I would have gone there in the first place.

We have spent many nights at  Walmart parking lots while traveling from Rockford to Florida and this was a first.    We usually pull in around 9:00 PM, park out of the way, shop, leave at day break, no problems.  It is all about convenience.
Jim

Hi Jim,

From what I have read, it is good protocol to go in and ask if parking is allow when you stop. I've also read if you see other RV's in the parking lot that it's considered alright to park as someone has probably already asked and it would be redundant to ask again. If it were me and I only saw one other RV I would go in ask to just make sure, in the event that the other RV didn't ask.

Probably one of the Walmart maps they sell that list Walmarts that allow the parking might be in order or some of the websites that list which ones allow parking and those that do not.

If you park at enough of them, sooner or later your bound to get uninvited. At least you got your sleep and morning coffee at the next one down the road!

I always stop and ask the store manager if it's OK to park just for the night even if there are other campers already there. I usually do it with a shopping cart in front of me with a couple of items in it. I also tell him/her that I will be out early in the morning.  I don't make it look like I'm camping. I don't pull out the gas grill or open the slides unless I absolutely have to. If I do, it's usually over a grassy area so I don't interfere with traffic. I typically don't unhook my 5vr. I may just drop the front landing legs just for a little stability.

Wal*mart improvershes workers at at least 3 classes of stores.. "Neighborhod" stores are closed at night and do not have enough parking or overnight RV parking.

Standard Wal*marts may or may not.

Super Centers the company policy is to allow, but sometimes the city, county or state prohibits thanks to the Campground Owner's Assn.

I am getting kind of anti-Wal*mart as I find out more and more about them.. Like over half their workers get food stamps,,,, legally... Wal*mart needs to go on life support.

We don't do it often but we always ask if parking is allowed. If you get the Walmart version of the Road Atlas, they have their stores listed in the back. You can call 1-800-walmart and a recording will ask for the zip code of the Walmart in which you are interested. Key the zip in and the recording will give you the telephone number of that store. You can then call ahead to see if parking is allowed.

The last time we pulled into a campground for a few hours of sleep I had to unhook the towed vehicle because the campsites were small.  It was 9:00 PM and the camp office was closed.  The next morning at sunrise the camp office was still closed.  No way to self register so I slide $20 under the door with a description of our RV and my name and address.    Never heard back so I assume the $20 was acceptable.  Leaving the interstates in the dark and searching out a campground that may or may not have a pull through site quit frankly frightens me.  I also do not find setting up in the dark very attractive.    I have also seen campgrounds with closed gates at night with no easy way to get turned around if I'm towing something.

More often than not we can see a Walmart from the interstate highway.  It is just so darn convenient to pull in, run the RV on batteries for the night and leave in the morning.  If Walmart wanted to charge for overnight parking, I would gladly pay.

I'll never forget we were in a small town eating at a local restaurant.    I whispered to the store manager if it would be acceptable to spend the night in his parking lot.  He said no but told us another place in town we could spend the night.  I was apprehensive but the restaurant manager said, "it will be fine, I'll tell the police when they stop in for coffee".  It didn't take long and there was a knock on the door, a police officer outside.  I told the officer my story.  He was nice about it and told us another place we could spend the night and went on to say, "I'll keep an eye on you out there tonight".

There was another time,  in Southern Illinois, we encountered icy roads and took the first exit, Herrin, and soon found a bar and grill. We pulled in and ordered drinks and their dinner special of the day.  The owner of the bar and grill invited us to stay in his parking lot. 

I guess, off grid camping will always be an adventure.
Jim

jglass said:
No way to self register so I slide $20 under the door with a description of our RV and my name and address.    Never heard back so I assume the $20 was acceptable.

If it was cash, the campground probably never saw it but the worker who opened up that morning did and was thankful.  ;D

This Destin Walmart does have the signs on the street side of parking lot. there where some RV's there late in the evening when i went shopping. Right across the street is the state rv park, where i stayed.

jglass said:
It was dark and late (around 9:00PM) when we found the Walmart on highway #98.  While it was a newer Walmart store the parking lot was not large and it was not a super Walmart.  I had already heard overnight parking at some Florida Walmarts was not allowed but they usually have signs posted in those cases. 

We drove down highway #98 about 8 miles to Destin Florida and found a Super Walmart with a huge parking lot with a couple of RV's parked.  My wife said, "let's pull into Walmart and have coffee", so we did.  We noticed this Walmart had a Macdonalds inside so we went in and had breakfast.  Had I known this Walmart was there, I would have gone there in the first place

In case others travel in this area:
I think you are talking about the Santa Rosa Beach Walmart, just east of Miramar Beach on 98.  The Destin Walmart is about the same distance west of Miramar Beach and 9 miles away according to the Walmart store locator. Both are "No Overnight Parking" Walmarts but the Destin location is listed as "Not Enforced" on overnightrvparking.com .    Walmart does not list any store in Miramar Beach itself.

Generally speaking, if it is a 24/7 walmart, it is okay to stay as long as you talk to the people at customer service.  Advise them that you are passing through, and that you need to pick up a few things.

If the store closes for the night, it is almost certain that you cannot camp.  Check this web site at allstays, and it will tell you, based on travlers reports, whether you can stay or not.  They are not always accurate, but you can kinda use it as a guide.  Good luck, and travel safe, Bob

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

On the rare occasions I comment on this subject, I get ostracized...

In 21 years on this forum, and more years RVing, we've yet to have the need or desire to camp overnight in a WalMart parking lot. I've heard/read all the rationale, including "Sam Wal was an RVer", "I spend more than a campground fee in the WM store", and "WalMart security will protect us".

On the rare occasions that my driver says "I'm tired, let's stop at that WM for the night", I say "We don't know this town, nor do we know this part of town (WM usually doesn't build in the best parts of town), let's move on and stay at a campground".

There are many RVers who do whatever they can to avoid paying campground fees, and there's even a group called WalMart Bound who apparently travel between WM parking lots. Why not stay home and camp in your driveway? You'll save the gas in addition to the campground fee.

I understand the folks who just want a few hours sleep and don't wish to stay at a campground. But there are alternatives to staying at a WM parking lot.

Tom said:
On the rare occasions I comment on this subject, I get ostracized...

In 21 years on this forum, and more years RVing, we've yet to have the need or desire to camp overnight in a WalMart parking lot. I've heard/read all the rationale, including "Sam Wal was an RVer", "I spend more than a campground fee in the WM store", and "WalMart security will protect us".

On the rare occasions that my driver says "I'm tired, let's stop at that WM for the night", I say "We don't know this town, nor do we know this part of town (WM usually doesn't build in the best parts of town), let's move on and stay at a campground".

There are many RVers who do whatever they can to avoid paying campground fees, and there's even a group called WalMart Bound who apparently travel between WM parking lots. Why not stay home and camp in your driveway? You'll save the gas in addition to the campground fee.

I understand the folks who just want a few hours sleep and don't wish to stay at a campground. But there are alternatives to staying at a WM parking lot.

Agreed. And well said.

If there is a road emergency, maybe.

Heck, we don't even drive after dark!!

John From Detroit said:
Wal*mart improvershes workers at at least 3 classes of stores.. "Neighborhod" stores are closed at night and do not have enough parking or overnight RV parking.

Standard Wal*marts may or may not.

Super Centers the company policy is to allow, but sometimes the city, county or state prohibits thanks to the Campground Owner's Assn.

I am getting kind of anti-Wal*mart as I find out more and more about them.. Like over half their workers get food stamps,,,, legally... Wal*mart needs to go on life support.

There is a Yahoo Walmart Groups site that is maintained very well and offers a listing stores that do not allow overnight  parking.  Usually it is city ordinances that dictate if ONP is allowed or not but some lots are just too small and others too dangerous.  Our local lot is always loaded with 6-10 semi trucks whose drivers live in town and leave them there when they are home.

John, you seem to have a problem with Walmart that is not likely to be solved here.  I happen to think differently but see no reason to put out a lot of inaccurate nonfactual gossip.  Labor unions are usually found to be the root of a lot of those so called 'facts.'

Bill N said:
There is a Yahoo Walmart Groups site that is maintained very well and offers a listing stores that do not allow overnight  parking.  Usually it is city ordinances that dictate if ONP is allowed or not but some lots are just too small and others too dangerous.  Our local lot is always loaded with 6-10 semi trucks whose drivers live in town and leave them there when they are home.

John, you seem to have a problem with Walmart that is not likely to be solved here.  I happen to think differently but see no reason to put out a lot of inaccurate nonfactual gossip.  Labor unions are usually found to be the root of a lot of those so called 'facts.'

Well said Bill.

Ken

"Labor unions are usually found to be the root of a lot of those so called 'facts.'"  ????

Where did that come from?

Paul

Paul & Ann said:
"Labor unions are usually found to be the root of a lot of those so called 'facts.'"  ????

Where did that come from?

Paul

Paul, I guess I just put that in there as my opinion based on the two occasions I have seen Walmart stores being picketed by a couple dozen people with preprinted signs referring to that food stamp claim and other signs referring to the "poor" people working at Walmart.  On both occasions the "picketers" arrived in a rented bus and were paid in cash as they got off the bus and each protest lasted almost exactly 1 hour and then they loaded back on the bus.  The organizer was wearing his union badge as were some of the picketers.  Actually, a couple of the Walmart workers who were on the job that day were laughing at the pickets.  It is a well known 'fact' that the unions have been trying to organize Walmart for many many years - without much success.  So I guess that's where that came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom