EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Asked to leave Walmart  (Read 12435 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Asked to leave Walmart
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
Too bad we don't have boondocking/dry camping areas at more campgrounds. Prior to the Olympics in Southern California, the state put in a bunch of dry camping sites at numerous state parks along the length of the state. They were intended for travelers who merely wanted a place to sleep with no frills while transiting to the Olympics. They were called "Olympic sites", and they became a site of choice for us when we used to tow our fishing boat to local waterways in the 80's.

The sites were gravel, no frills. Since we were on the boat fishing all day, we just needed a place to sleep for several hours, before heading out to fish again the next morning. The state park charged $5/night. They also had a small marina where we could rent a slip for the boat. The slip fee was $5/night and, if we rented a slip, they'd give us the dry camping (Olympic) site for free.

We used these so often that, as we turned into the entrance of the SP on Friday afternoon/evening, the rangers would have our registration form completed with our coach registration number.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:37:23 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rstrahan

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
We were driving back from Texas, and saw a billboard saying Walmart welcomes campers, then on the side of the building a large banner welcoming overnight campers. 

All depends.
Roger & Paula
Relocated Texans
2002 Coachmen Class C
Enjoying the sunshine and beaches
Port Charlotte, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
Was it welcoming overnighters, or merely welcoming campers to shop at their store?

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
  • Life's a series of experiences, enjoy every one.
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
Too bad we don't have boondocking/dry camping areas at more campgrounds. Prior to the Olympics in Southern California, the state put in a bunch of dry camping sites at numerous state parks along the length of the state. They were intended for travelers who merely wanted a place to sleep with no frills while transiting to the Olympics. They were called "Olympic sites", and they became a site of choice for us when we used to tow our fishing boat to local waterways in the 80's.

The sites were gravel, no frills. Since we were on the boat fishing all day, we just needed a place to sleep for several hours, before heading out to fish again the next morning. The state park charged $5/night. They also had a small marina where we could rent a slip for the boat. The slip fee was $5/night and, if we rented a slip, they'd give us the dry camping (Olympic) site for free.

We used these so often that, as we turned into the entrance of the SP on Friday afternoon/evening, the rangers would have our registration form completed with our coach registration number.

That would be a great deal, that is where I would stop most of the time, even at $10 a night.  If it was quiet and secure, that's all I'm looking for in a place to park.  I've been a WM's where after shopping, I didn't "feel" secure, so I moved on.  I've been know to tip workers in the parking lot that are going to be there all night to watch my unit for me.  I sleep better that way.  The guards at WM that rove in those cars with the flashing yellow light are worth tipping if they're going to be there all night.  One they don't make a lot of money in the first place, but are trying to supplement their SSI, so, after talking with them a little, and finding out how late they are going to work, I'll give them 5 or 10 and sleep like a baby.  I even had one ask me when I wanted to get up, and at 06:30 he knocked on my door and had a cup of coffee for me from the McD's!  How's that for value.  I'm not a real "camper" in setting up, hooking up electric, water, etc., unless I'm at my destination.  So I guess one would call me a destination camper. 

But as I get to a CG I'm always amazed by ya'll senior RV'rs that are set up and rolling, and I'm still going over my check list, not even close to set up.  My average is about an hour, for a basic set up.  That doesn't include setting up the screen room and getting the furniture set up. 

So Tom.. How long until you have this network of Boondocking stations set up for all of us "destination campers?"   ;)
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G , Ford V-10
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

jglass

• ---
    • www.outbackmachineshop.com
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »
We made it back home today after our 2 month Florida vacation.    Yep, parked at a Walmart in Paducah, ky last night.

Just learned today an "Iron Skillet" truck stop on I-39 in Northern Illinois has a FREE dump station and parking places for RVs.   The RV spaces are also FREE for overnight parking.    They also have water and sell propane.

I always stop there and use their dump station before arriving home.   Dump station always was $5 plus a $5 deposit on the dump station key, but this time they only asked for the $5 deposit.  Could have been a mistake, how knows.

Hearing some of the replys makes me sad to hear how some people take advantages of certain situations.   The way it always is, a few ruin it for others.

Iron Skillet truck stops are well known for their buffet restaurants.
Jim
So much to learn, so little time

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
I'll make a note of "Iron skillet".

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »
Iron Skillet restaurants are usually at Petro fuel stations (at least in our neck of the woods). Pretty good chow, too.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

COMer

• ---
  • John & Darla
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »
Back when he was starting Good Sam and founding his magazine empire, Art Rouse had the same idea that Tom suggested.  He started a bunch of places where campers could stop at campgrounds and only have a spot to park and it was inexpensive.  I think it was $5 but that was some time ago.  It seems like it would have been a great idea as many campers claim they would stop if they could pay a small amount that did not include all the services we don't need if we are just parking.  Apparently it didn't work.  Maybe some of you remember it better than I do but it went bust pretty quickly.  Not sure why but the idea sure seems to make sense.  A campground that offers  a lot where people can just pull in and park, and charges an appropriate amount, should be successful.  If they are near an interstate exit.
John & Darla
Home near Erie, PA
Spend half the year with Campers on Mission

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
Art may have been ahead of his time.  Back then there were many more open spaces where you could park without hassle.  There also weren't as many city ordinances against said parking.  Heck, even the interstate rest areas were safer and not as full as they are today.  We parked in many places in the 1970s and 1980s that we would not or could not stay in now.  One of our favorite nights was on the Lexington to Concord road where the famous Shot Heard Round the World was fired.  It went through a lovely woodsy residential area and we joked about hearing the Redcoats coming.  We made sure the local residents who were out walking their dogs saw us picking up the beer bottles and other trash left behind by their local neighborhood kids.  They were all quite pleasant but I'm sure you can't park there today.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

rebelsun

• ---
  • Don't confuse kindness for weakness
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »
It was before 11am (yes that is morning, before noon.) Much to my surprise, the Flying J was FULL of campers who had their slides out, their steps out, several even had tables and chairs outside. I was amused to watch a couple sit outside eating their lunch while viewing the interstate.  A few had blocked some of the RV parking spaces by putting their slides out, preventing me or others from parking in those RV spots. Others had taken up multiple car spaces to cram in their RV's and toads.

I was ashamed to be an RV-er and embarrassed I had pulled over at all.

I would have been ashamed too, with the behavior you described.
It sound like a shanty town, complete with Cousin Eddie dumping the grey and black tanks into the storm drain.

There is a WalMart in Fort Pierce, Fl., which fills up with Canadians mostly, but other RVers as well, who spend the night in the WalMart parking lot, which has a security patrol, because it's not in the nicest part of town, and then spend their day at Pepper Park Beach north parking lot, about 7 miles away.  The County doesn't allow overnight parking in the beach parking lots, but they are allowed to stay there all day, then retire to the WalMart parking lot at night.

They spend the winter doing this, day after day, week after week, month after month, to avoid paying the campground fees.  I always wondered where they dump their tanks, but maybe I don't really don't want to know, after all.

The County I live in (Brevard), is attempting to stop camping on the side of the 528 Hwy on the shore of the Intercoastal Waterway, between the Kennedy Space Center Causeway, and the Cape Canaveral AFS launch facility, and near Port Canaveral, which also has a very reasonably priced County campground at Jetty Park, in the Port, because they have observed the campers dumping their RV holding tanks into the Intercoastal Waterway at night.
It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone!
Riding the Highway through Hell in our 2000 Chevy 3500 Gulfstream Class C, with a
Honda Shadow AERO motorcycle and trailer in tow.
Retired and living in Palm Bay, Fl.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
The "Olympic sites" I mentioned were like dry camping in a gravel parking lot. Easy in/easy out, and no frills. They allowed generators (within limited hours). The $5/night fee was in the 80's, and I'd gladly pay $15-$25 a night for something similar at a commercial campground for the times we just need a good night's sleep. OTOH since this would take up real estate, it may not be financially viable for a campground to offer it.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
Escapees has had boondocking spaces in all of their parks ever since they first started building campgrounds in the 1980s.

Usually there are at least a few spaces near the park entrance, and these serve a dual purpose.  The first obviously is for people who just want to pull off the road and get some sleep before moving on, but they also work as an after hours holding area.  The parks don't have after hours check-in, instead if you arrive after office hours you stay in a boondock space for the first night, then if you want to stay longer you register in the morning.  This saves everyone else from being disturbed by someone coming in late and setting up camp in the wee hours.

Boondockers get to use everything in the park just as if they were in a full hookup site.  For a long time boondocking was free for up to 2 weeks per year, but a few years ago they changed the price to free for the first night, then $5 a night after that to help defray some of the park overhead.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:43:34 AM by Lou Schneider »

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Escapees has had boondocking spaces in all of their parks ever since they first started building campgrounds in the 1980s.

Usually there are at least a few spaces near the park entrance, and these serve a dual purpose.  The first obviously is for people who just want to pull off the road and get some sleep before moving on, but they also work as an after hours holding area.  The parks don't have after hours check-in, instead if you arrive after office hours you stay in a boondock space for the first night, then if you want to stay longer you register in the morning.  This saves everyone else from being disturbed by someone coming in late and setting up camp in the wee hours.

Boondockers get to use everything in the park just as if they were in a full hookup site.  For a long time boondocking was free for up to 2 weeks per year, but a few years ago they changed the price to free for the first night, then $5 a night after that to help defray some of the park overhead.

That's still a good deal.  I need to rejoin Escapees.  The first year or two I was a member, but the parks were less than I expected, so I didn't use them.  I went to one park that literally looked like someone put hookups in a wheat field, and about nothing else.  It certainly was cheap enough, but if I'm going to all the trouble of setting up, I want something nicer.  But if it's just to boondock for the night, I'd rather stay there than WM if I don't need to shop. 

One other reason I guess I stay at WM, is while driving my truck I have to take 10 hour breaks, uninterrupted.  Which means I can't move the truck for the entire 10 hours.  So I'll stop at WM, shop, eat near by, then go back to the truck, which has killed about 2 hours, now an 8 hour rest and I'm done.  So with the MH, it's the same type of driving experience, only without all the gauges.  I've thought about adding more gauges, I already have enough, switches on the dash.   :D  So, just out of habit, and with more room for stuff, I stop at WM, only I don't have to stay 10 hours.  So I shop, eat, sleep, and leave.  If there were an escapees park near the road that I could BD at, it would be quieter, darker, and I'd probably get a better rest there.  What would be nice is a visual of the parks near interstates, then I could plan my trips out that way. 
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
What would be nice is a visual of the parks near interstates, then I could plan my trips out that way.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but.... if you go to Google Maps and find your interstate off ramp where you need to pull over, you can zoom in on it and in the maps search bar, enter the term "campground". Any campgrounds in that area will be displayed. Then you can either zoom in and go to "satellite view" or in some cases "street view". With Street view you can follow your route right up to the driveway.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Not sure if this is what you are talking about but.... if you go to Google Maps and find your interstate off ramp where you need to pull over, you can zoom in on it and in the maps search bar, enter the term "campground". Any campgrounds in that area will be displayed. Then you can either zoom in and go to "satellite view" or in some cases "street view". With Street view you can follow your route right up to the driveway.

I was thinking of a major highways map with red dots on the map to indicate the campgrounds.
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »
The POI-Factory has a CSV file with all the Escapees parks.  You could use that with your favorite mapping software to produce your own map.  If you want more than just the Escapee parks, they have several other files with thousands of campgrounds listed.

Here's a Google map of the Escapees RV Parks.  It took just a few minutes to build it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:29:12 PM by Ned »
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

capt.morgan58

• ---
  • 98 damon daybreak 3120
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 11:39:28 AM »
Got to get in on this LOL! on my limited budget 5000 mile trip last summer i did "park" in walmart lots overnight only, camped when i reached a destination, but googled and called the stores to verify first, other options are home depot, lowes, and other big box stores. It pays to be considerate.

The Cannons don't Thunder there's Nothing to Plunder!1  ARRRRGG!
The Cannons Don't Thunder There's Nothing To Plunder!!
AARRRGGG!!

OLDRACER

• ---
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »
I suspect that campground owners are amongst the most vocal anti-Walmart parking posts on many forums.

Many have  been very active campaigners against Walmart allowing parking.

Food for thought.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
On the rare occasions I comment on this subject, I get ostracized...

(WM usually doesn't build in the best parts of town)
I understand the folks who just want a few hours sleep and don't wish to stay at a campground. But there are alternatives to staying at a WM parking lot.

Okay Tom, let me do a little bit of friendly ostracizing.  In our town and its suburbs, there are nine Walmarts and two Sams clubs plus five or six Walmart Neighorhood stores.  All of these stores are built in what I call 'business areas' meaning there are several other chain stores located in the same area or even use the same parking lot.  There is only one of these Walmarts located in what I would call  'not the best parts of town' meaning not the safest part of town.  So, maybe in the larger cities with high crime rates, your statement may be true but not in the vast majority of Walmart sites.  So now consider yourself whipped with a wet noodle (and thanks for all you do here).
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
I suspect that campground owners are amongst the most vocal anti-Walmart parking posts on many forums.

Many have  been very active campaigners against Walmart allowing parking.

Food for thought.

In every state there is a Campground Owner's Assn.. Affinity belongs to many of them (The folks who own Camping World, Good Sams,Woodalls Et-al)  They lobby for anti-overnight at places like wal*mart laws trying to mandate "Only park in licensed campgrounds" so as to maximize their profits.

They cite stories of the RVer who dumps in a sewer drain, and other things which are very very very rare so that they can push their agenda.. Anything something bad happens to an RVer or by an RVer they are right there to make sure legislatures know it so they can push their agenda.

Can not say as I blame them... I mean it is their profit they are trying to protect and as the song says (modern Old Time Religion) Though the love of it roots evil still there's those who seem to feel though that ALMIGHTY GOD'S a DOLLAR and there's not enough for me (This verse is copyright public domain,,By me)

Now as for Wal*mart..  Fully half their employees qualify for FOOD STAMPS.. Which half?  Well the ones who stock shelves,, Mop floors,, Unload trucks and otherwise WORK their behinds off.

Which ones do not qualify?  Well the store manager does not of the above work and likely is paid over 100,000/year.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

grassy

• ---
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
Wallmart night stopping for my DW is a dead no..it gives her the willies and with what many of these folks are driving, they can afford to go to a park.  She says that same for us..and if you cannot afford to RV, you should be...it reminds us of that don't tip when they travel...and the list goes on..

The comment about the Canadians is a shame but probably well deserved..

We are making a major dash this summer..not leving the major highways..no desire to stop and sight see (this time) would mean over nighting at a couple of truck stops..we look the part and no slides..she is still saying no..
2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Jake, Air... Brakes, Cab & Rear Suspension, Ultra Shift
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 06:06:59 AM »
Bill, understand the friendly whipping, but you know the WMs in your town and the areas where they're located. Folks don't usually stay at WMs in their local area, and therefore don't know if any given WM is in a "nice" area or the other type you have in your town:

There is only one of these Walmarts located in what I would call  'not the best parts of town' meaning not the safest part of town.

This lack of local knowledge is a major reason we don't stay overnight at WMs.

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 06:17:48 AM »
This lack of local knowledge is a major reason we don't stay overnight at WMs.

Good point.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 07:15:51 AM »
Wow! So, Walmart's business model is to build mega-stores in areas where the locals don't have enough money to shop there and where those who don't live in the immediate area but do have money wouldn't even consider shopping there!

This model not only turns every member of your family into a billionaire but also gets a call from The First Lady to collaborate with her to build some stores in even less desirable inner city neighborhoods in the future.

Some of the comments on this forum are so... so... comical.
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »
Now might be a good time to end this discussion before it goes further downhill.

Hosted by Over The Network