Which converter should I go with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnppartain

Well guys, another day, and another problem has come to light on my new to me Winne. I noticed that one of my newly installed LED lights was dim, so I pulled the cover off to see what was wrong. To my surprise, it was actually burned up! So, I checked the voltage with my VOM, and 14.5 volts was my reading. I went to the fuse panel on my Magnetek 6345, and sure enough, 14.5 leaving the converter. I've done all the research I care to, and it looks like the relay assembly in the converter is my problem. If I'm correct (help me here if you've had experience) about the bad converter, then I need to replace it. I'm looking at several, but I wanted to see what any of your experiences have been like. I like the WFCO -8945 REP, because it just retrofits my existing bow. For a little less money I can get the WFCO -8945, and just replace everything. Or I could go with one of the Inteli-power units, and just tie it in with the 6345. What have you guys done? What would you have done different? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would check the battery with a hygrometer and volt meter. The hygrometer will tell you if you have bad cells. Bulk charge voltage is 14.4 volts in most converters. All RV 12 volt systems should be able to function at 14.5 volts, which you will possibly see from the engine alternator. You need LEDs that can tolerate 12 to 30 VDC.

Forgive my ignorance. This is my first RV, and although I restore old cars and old houses I am learning that the two of them together is another animal. I understand that converter charges the batteries at 14 volts or so, but I was under the impression after looking over the schematics that the converter put 12 volts to some of those fused circuits using either the blue or red wire. I may have misunderstood, and it may be that my cheap LED bulbs just can't handle RV life. That would be better than a used up converter. I have three coach batteries tied together, so  I will start again by reading them. On a side note, when I bought the motor home almost all of the light lenses had a burned hole in the missle from the hot bulbs. I thought nothing of it, and ordered new lenses, however this issue with the LED bulbs had me thinking that maybe the converter was not acting right. Maybe all I need is a little education on this. Any help is appreciated.

I meant to say that I thought the converter would put a constant 12 volts on those fused circuits without regard to what it put out to the battery.

From what I have read and from personal experience, the WFCO converters are cheap China made junk. I currently have a WFCO converter and it will need to be replaced before going camping this year. My WFCO just will not charge my battery and it is less than 3 yrs old. I'm looking at PowerMaxx  converter for my camper.

Not sure your converter is the problem but if you have to replace I would go with the 3 stage Progressive Dynamics much better on your batteries...get one with the charge wizard...

Like HERE! - This is the one I bought and I am very happy with it...

Good Luck,

Jim

Ditto on what Wigpro said.
Note that initial bulk charge of batteries can reach 14.5 VDC but should not normally stay at that level.
Also, any device for auto/RV use should withstand 14.5 VDC with no problems. If using cheap LEDS you may need to install a regulated light controller to keep volts steady @ 12VDC.

Ditto that about buying LEDS than can tolerate 12 to 24 or better volts.

But an alternative is to somehow wire a 'buck converter' into the fixture.  Buck converters are regulators and usually cost a little more than a than a buck on eBay.  Get the ones that are adjustable.  I use them on my strip lights and keep them adjusted to about 10.3 volts.

I wouldn't assume that your converter/charger is bad at 14.5V.

Correction:  they can be found for as little as 69 cents on eBay.

mnppartain said:
I went to the fuse panel on my Magnetek 6345, and sure enough, 14.5 leaving the converter.

Our previous motor home had a Magnetek 6345 converter. I kept burning light bulbs out (not LEDs) and when I measured the converter output, I also found voltages in the range of 14.3-14.5 DCV. However, when I measured for AC voltage, I found 17.0-17.5 VAC. I replace the piece of junk with a Heart Freedom 1000 Inverter/charger and never had another light bulb burn out. Not only is the 6345 very, very poorly voltage regulated but it has a very poor battery charging output.

R

Thank you for all the replies and advice. I am still learning about this thing, and I really appreciate being able to come here and get a better understanding of what I have and how it works.

After reading the post about AC voltage on the DC lights I decided to go check to see if that might be the case here. I read 27 volts AC on the DC lights. This does not seem normal to me, but then again I am new to this. What do you guys think? Have you seen this? Is this anywhere near normal?

We've had many discussions on this subject, I'll give you a couple links.
http://home.earthlink.net/~whemme/

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=59898.0

Bought a Intellipower 9245 with the dongle today. Thanks for all of your help. I figured after 18 years or so of service the 6345 needed to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom