85 MPH in Montana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

Seems our state lawmakers in Helena are going to take our speed limit back up to 85mph.  The only apparent reason I could find was to make it a faster trip between anywhere in Montana to the Bakken.

With only two lanes on the interstates, that means us slow 65 mph RV trailer-yankers will spend lots of head-swivel time watching for speeders behind us in the "slow" lane.

Time for me to invest in a flashing rear-end "Caution -I'm slower than most" LED light.

Montana needs it....lots of wide open spaces.  So does Wyoming....I remember driving over 100 miles and seeing 2 cars in Wyoming.  I was in triple digits for a lot of that 100 miles.

Texas has 80 mph from El Paso to Kerrville....500 + miles.

And then "we" complain about the high cost of fuel like "we" didn't contribute to the high prices by excessive consumption.  What the heck is the hurry?

The smartest thing this country did for the highway system and the people that travel it was the 55mph national speed limit.  The dumbest thing was removing it.

Ned said:
The smartest thing this country did for the highway system and the people that travel it was the 55mph national speed limit.  The dumbest thing was removing it.

I completely agree.  I mention that to my environmental nazis relatives and they don't get it.  I try to explain that it requires exponentially more energy to travel over 55 MPH which contributes to fuel consumption and this so called "global warming" they keep preaching about but for some reason THAT is the one thing they choose to argue about.

Mike.

Ned said:

I totally disagree.  Sure, those of us that are retired can take all the time we want, but not everyone has that luxury.  Today's cars and tires can handle the new speed limits safely. 

Maybe, but one of the things they teach in leadership schools (whether military or industrial) is "NEVER GIVE AN ORDER YOU KNOW WON'T BE OBEYED".

Now for the anecdotal stuff:
The coach mpg responds very clearly and proportionally to the speed, but I can't discern any meaningful difference up to 80 mph in my little Buick Verano. 30.2 mpg seems to be what it does, from 40 to 80. And the big GMC Acadia gets it peak mileage at 78, climbing to 21 mpg. At 65 it is 19.6. Measured multiple times and with pen & paper as well as onboard computer.

We could debate all day whether that is either expected or an anomaly, but I'll just say that air resistance is not the only factor at work.

If you have to go that fast to get somewhere, leave earlier.  It's called planning.  And while the tires and vehicles may be able to handle those speeds, few people have fast enough reaction times in an emergency situation.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Maybe, but one of the things they teach in leadership schools (whether military or industrial) is "NEVER GIVE AN ORDER YOU KNOW WON'T BE OBEYED".

And that's a sad commentary on us as a society.  I did and do obey the speed limits (and other laws) and treat them as maximums, not mandatory, as some people seem to think.

80 mph is not that fast - not when you look at Europe where speed limits are regularly at 75 - 85 mph in Germany and such places cars regularly drive at 90+ corvettes can reach speeds of 190 mph exotics 200 mph plus and the cars are capable at those speeds. Just cause the limit is at a bazillion doesn't mean you have to drive it. If you see a strip club do you have to go in?  or a bar do you have to stop? or a sub shop - get the point? Cars today are not the same as the 70's when they dropped the limits. When pulling the trailer i'm happy at 60 but i've also hit the track at well over 200 mph and been just as comfortable at those speeds.
Ps top speed 233mph  in a twin turbo Gallardo May 3 2012 and i have the video to prove it lol
top speed on a bike 207mph  1986 Gsxr 1100

80 mph is not that fast - not when you look at Europe where speed limits are regularly at 75 - 85 mph

An interesting article recently discussed the difference between European drivers and American drivers as it relates to fast driving speeds.  They pointed out that German drivers on the Autobahn "DRIVE" and wouldn't consider texting, drinking coffee, eating, and all the other things Americans do WHILE driving.  When I look at the people around me as I'm driving I sometimes wonder if they have any clue how they would react in an emergency if they're distracted by whatever.

Yes, there are remote places like Montana and Wyoming where faster speeds might be more acceptable because there's less traffic, but they're also considering raising the speed limit in Nevada which has terrible drivers with statistics to prove it.  An example is #1 in single vehicle accident fatalities.  Some states should not raise their speed limits because the drivers can't handle what they now have and they put me and those I love at risk.

ArdraF

Come to Texas.

Many roads are 75, some are 85.

I don't drive quite that fast in my truck, although the jeep can show the 'eco' light at 80mph.... ???

ArdraF said:
An interesting article recently discussed the difference between European drivers and American drivers as it relates to fast driving speeds.  They pointed out that German drivers on the Autobahn "DRIVE" and wouldn't consider texting, drinking coffee, eating, and all the other things Americans do WHILE driving.  When I look at the people around me as I'm driving I sometimes wonder if they have any clue how they would react in an emergency if they're distracted by whatever.

Yes, there are remote places like Montana and Wyoming where faster speeds might be more acceptable because there's less traffic, but they're also considering raising the speed limit in Nevada which has terrible drivers with statistics to prove it.  An example is #1 in single vehicle accident fatalities.  Some states should not raise their speed limits because the drivers can't handle what they now have and they put me and those I love at risk.

ArdraF

Actually that's very very very true Canadians are just as guilty

Back in the '60s when I was a young redneck fresh from the hills my buddies and I would turn the radio off when we drove in the city  ::) and it was just an AM radio, not an in-dash surround sound theater.
70 mph on a dirt road was flat out fun though  8)

I remember clearly when Montana actually enacted a speed limit in the first place and it was not well received by the residents.  Of course in the days of "Reasonable and Prudent" as the only guideline for speed in Big Sky Country the population was considerably lower, roads were newer and of course cars didn't have built in distractions right off the showroom floor.

As a professional driver I'm not really a big fan of the higher speed limits and even less of a fan of the old double nickle.  Disproportionate speeds be they law (like truck speed limits vs passenger car limits in some states) or simply the unrealistic limit of 80-85mph can cause crashes simply because the poorly trained driver that doesn't realize that the RV or big rig in front of him/her is crawling along at 62 mph until they're sliding under it.

Its been mentioned that the tires and cars today are capable of greater speeds,,, but not on 8 to ten year old tires and wore out shocks,ect,ect.>>>Dan

Yeah... Idaho is changing to 80 MPH for I84 that I know of. I avoid interstate travel like the plague. Here is a small article I made about speed in Idaho.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/459-speed-mpg

As for my 2002 Dodge Cummins truck its best MPG is at 45 MPH at nearly 30 MPG, 55 MPH is about 23-25 MPG, 65 MPH drops to 16-18 MPG, 75 MPH really drops to 12-14 MPG. This is all hand math and computer verified and logged nearly 200k worth of fuel logs.

Foto-n-T said:
the unrealistic limit of 80-85mph can cause crashes simply because the poorly trained driver that doesn't realize that the RV or big rig in front of him/her is crawling along at 62 mph until they're sliding under it.

Yes.  Absolutely the point of my original post.

Sprucegum said:
70 mph on a dirt road was flat out fun though  8)

Ahhhhh the good old days!

Theory here. With the cars/trucks being safer and seat belts saving many more lives. Maybe they figure they can kill more people by running over an armadillo in lesser populated areas?!?!?!?

Just kidding. But I had to say SOMETHING!  lol

Back
Top Bottom