85 MPH in Montana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tinmania said:
Wow, 73 mph wind gusts! A storm is classified a hurricane when wind speed reaches 74 mph.

Wouldn't want to have been in any kind of RV in that wind.

Mike

Sometimes in West Texas I'm running down the road in my truck, with a gross weight of 80,000 lbs, praying that I make it safely to an exit with a safe building to go into, and I see RV's on the road, and I'm thinking what are they thinking?  They have a choice and they choose to be out here in these high winds?  If I was just grossing 50,000, (twice what my MH weighs) I would have been off the road, waiting for the winds to die down.  High winds can, and do flip trucks and RV's over every year.  Why take the chance?

Last summer I took US 54 from Hutchinson, KS to Tucumcari, NM.  Just west of Minneola, KS I saw a solid wall of black clouds form to the north as far as I could see and the radio started going crazy with reports of tornadoes touching down in Dodge City and Howell, KS, about 20 miles north of where I was.

The terrain was flat open plains with no place to seek shelter, so I continued driving to the southwest.  Then a rest area appeared on the right in a small valley formed by a line of cliffs to the north.  As I got closer I saw it was filling up with trucks.  I decided to take the hint and pulled in, about 20 minutes later it got dark and we were pelted with rain, hail and very high winds for about an hour.

If I had stayed on the road, it wouldn't have been pretty.  As it was, I just waited out the storm nice and cozy between a couple of big rigs.  When it was over the sun came back out, the trucks departed and I continued on my way.

cadee2c said:
This is the thread that never ends! It goes on and on my friends!

Now try to get that song out of your head. :p

You could say this thread is picking up speed and we're already at 85 mph. That's 30 mph pass the Carter speed limit.  ::)

Ned said:
And raising the limit to 85 will make them think they can drive 90 :(

Hi Ned, 

Good point; situation here in Alberta certainly bears that out.  On our Hwy 2 between Edmonton and Calgary (or between Calgary and Edmonton for you Steve) the posted limit is 110 kilometers per hour (68.75 mph). You might call that 70 mph.  Most traffic moving at least 80 mph, more at 90 mph with 100 mph not uncommon at all.  Posted limits tend to be taken as a jumping off point for faster, faster, faster.

This road (divided - minimum 2 lanes each direction) might not meet the standards of US interstate; not sure.

Dan

Out here speed limits are use when in town. Being there is such large stretches between towns with nothing out of staters (non locals) attempts to step up the speed but now drive reckless attempting to pass on windy 2 lane highways. River on one side and mountain on the other.  Not much for choices either go swimming with the fishes or or be planted in the mountain your choice.

Back
Top Bottom