85 MPH in Montana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mopar1973Man said:
Yeah... Idaho is changing to 80 MPH for I84 that I know of. I avoid interstate travel like the plague. Here is a small article I made about speed in Idaho.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/459-speed-mpg

As for my 2002 Dodge Cummins truck its best MPG is at 45 MPH at nearly 30 MPG, 55 MPH is about 23-25 MPG, 65 MPH drops to 16-18 MPG, 75 MPH really drops to 12-14 MPG. This is all hand math and computer verified and logged nearly 200k worth of fuel logs.

Is that towing a trailer??

Ned said:
And that's a sad commentary on us as a society.  I did and do obey the speed limits (and other laws) and treat them as maximums, not mandatory, as some people seem to think.

Exactly, they're maximums.  I drive 55, and I'm glad the speed limit is faster than that, as it prevents me from having to change lanes.  When I get to areas where the limit is 55, I end up having to pass people which is a nuisance.  I like to set the cruise, and when others cut in front of me my following distance quickly reappears. 

In Texas on 130 around Austin, the speed limit is 85.  I drive 55 and have never had a problem.  Think about it this way, you're going 35 mph and there's a stopped vehicle in your path, there's another lane in which you could switch to in order to miss the stopped vehicle, are you going to switch lanes or hit the vehicle?  I believe we can all agree that if you're coming up on a vehicle at 35 mph and you can't avoid hitting that vehicle, you shouldn't be driving anyway.  I suggest to most of these people that they put down there cell phone and concentrate on their driving if hitting other vehicles are a problem for them. 

For years on country roads we have farmers running tractors on two lane roads, alert drivers slow down, and safely pass them.  Even in east Texas where speed limits are 70 mph, tractors that can't be going much more than 10 mph run those highways everyday without incident.  If someone does run into them, they were either texting, or drunk.  Alert drivers don't drive into things.

In 1976 I was at a stop light, (it was red) and a drunk ran into the back of me.  Other than that, driving 55 almost my entire life, on the highways I've not had a single accident.  It makes for a calm peaceful drive.  I can drive 55!

I can agree on that too. 55 MPH is a much safer speed. Out here in Idaho there is no minimum speed limit so if you want you can drive as slow as you want. The trick is if you holding up more that 3 vehicles you must yield to traffic. Same out here its common to have heavy equipment rolling on the highway and no shoulder to get over on so you might have a tractor creeping at 10-15 MPH down the highway. Nothing new.

85MPH.. I recall when they lowered it to double nickles (55) to conserve on fuel... And on my RV 55-60 is the sweet spot MPG wise, over 60 and as the big needle goes up (Speedometer) the small one goes down (Fuel) .

I recall a 9-1-1 call I got from a driver once.. Transferred it to my Sgt.  But the caller was complaining about one of my Troopers (who happens also to be named John) You see, John was driving the Blue Goose (Patrol car) at a nice steady 56 MPH in the 55, Nobody dared pass him,,, "He's going to cause an accident driving like that".

Well,,, The only thing that makes me sad is neither the Sgt. nor I thought to get enough info to charge the jerk with non-emergency call to 9-1-1 and attempt traffic violation.. But  the Sgt. came back and ask me which trooper it was.

I confirmed it was John and ask the Sgt. if he had any message he wanted me to pass on to Johh,,, Something like "Good job".. He said yes,, and agreed with my suggestion.

John, also features in another story I sometimes tell.. You see, he once walked into a hospital..... Dead.  That was before this story.

We also try to limit our speed to 65mph tops.  Makes for a much nicer trip.  Back to original comment though.  It can get scary when the rate of closer between vehicles gets into the 20-30mph + area. Specially when the vehicle coming up from the rear waits until the last second to switch lanes.  Hope the higher speeds are for left lanes only.

On the eastern side of Atlanta on the I-285 loop the speed limit signs are marked "55+".  Whatever that is. ???

What comes to mind is a head on collision between two vehicles both traveling 85 mph.  Relative velocity is 170 mph.  Now head on collisions are never a good thing but higher speed always makes for a worse outcome.  I suppose I could tell some stories about fast driving but I really don't think it needs to be glorified.  Speed kills,  don't let it kill you those close to you (the collision will bring some of them closer) or anyone else for that matter!  Stay alive; this is supposed to be fun.  Thank You, Dan

newfurrows said:
What comes to mind is a head on collision between two vehicles both traveling 85 mph.  Relative velocity is 170 mph.

The effect on each vehicle is the same as hitting a solid wall at 85mph, not 170mph.

Are you deader if you hit a solid wall at 85 than you are at 55? Are you really saying that when you go across the median and into oncoming traffic you haven't slowed down from the 85 mph you were travelling at? Some amazing physics lessons in this thread.

I'll bet that the state really doesn't care what an out of state RV'r thinks is a safe and prudent speed. They will continue to set the limits at what they and their voters think is adequate. Not everyone on the road is 65 and driving a 40,000 pound vehicle. As long as they let us drive at a speed we're comfortable with, all is good. I understand the concept of running into the back of slower vehicles, but with all the people on this forum, and the millions of miles we collectively have driven, not a single one of us has said we got run into on the freeway by a vehicle travelling faster than us. I haven't even read about the friend of a friends second cousin being run into. I'd guess that the odds are low.

Ken

After reading the above, I guess that I am in the middle.

I and my wife regularly travel every month of the year in the Western United States in our Monty. I also own Eight Semi Trucks that also travel from the Midwest to the West Coat all year long every day.

The Carter 55 MPH law years ago cost us a bundle, as it did every other business and trucker on the road. Millions of us were very happy when that stupid law law was repealed. The 55 MPH law cost us both in fuel and time.

Now most states, at least West of the Midwest, have a 75 to 85 MPH limit on the Interstates and usually 65 to 70 MPH limit on other, usually 2-lane highways. I am happy with these both in our RV and also for our Semi's. Although I normally travel with our RV at about 60 to 65 MPH It is no problem traveling on a 75 to 85 MPH Highway. There  is no problem with others passing our Monty when we are in the right lane and there are one or two faster lanes to te left. On those two lane highways when we are traveling slower than faster rigs, there is no problem with them passing when clear or on passing lanes which are common most places.

Montana has a lower axle weight limit than surrounding states that costs us, and along with the speed limit for trucks, we need Montana to equalize their weight laws to match surrounding states.

Remember, the Interstate Highways, authorized by Congress at the request of Pres Eisenhower, were authorized and designed primarily for truck traffic. Auto, including RVs traveling on the same highways were and are only a secondary consideration.  The Interstate Highways were built to accommodate truck traffic.

Everything Rancher Will said, with this added, rural areas of the interstate system were designed in the 50's for 70 mph. cars today handle better than race cars did in the 50's. The problem today is ignorant drivers that view a car as another appliance. The brakes are screaming fix me, fixme, FIXME and they don't have a clue. The automobile is a complicated, deadly machine that will communicate with you....if you pay attention.

Bill

One thing that needs to be mentioned is the speed rating of tires.  Most truck tires, ie. 19.5 and up are speed rated for 65 mph.  Some are rated at 75, but one needs to make sure.  Especially on steer tires.  If one blows a steer tire at 75 mph, the result can be a total loss.  How many people can say they know the speed rating of their tires? 

The tires on my PU are speed rated for 118 mph, yet the tires on my MH are speed rated for only 65 mph.  That is generally how it works, the larger the tire, the lower the rating.  But you'll need to check your own tires to see.

*****  The below is from Tirerack.com web site. *************

In Germany some highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted. Speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capability of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at "unusual" mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer's ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits. The maximum operating speed of a vehicle must be limited to the lowest speed rated tire on the vehicle.

Rancher Will said:
The Carter 55 MPH law years ago cost us a bundle, as it did every other business and trucker on the road. Millions of us were very happy when that stupid law law was repealed. The 55 MPH law cost us both in fuel and time.
te Highways were built to accommodate truck traffic.
I agree with your post, but it was Nixon that imposed the 55 MPH law.

I believe this is why people refrer to it as Carter's 55 mph speed limit:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=8017

Lowell said:
I believe this is why people refrer to it as Carter's 55 mph speed limit:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=8017
You post is the first time I've heard it referred to as the Carter 55 mph speed limit.  Carter asked people to comply with it, but Nixon did it.  ;)

bucks2 said:
I understand the concept of running into the back of slower vehicles, but with all the people on this forum, and the millions of miles we collectively have driven, not a single one of us has said we got run into on the freeway by a vehicle travelling faster than us. I haven't even read about the friend of a friends second cousin being run into. I'd guess that the odds are low.

Ken

Glad you bought it up.  Just so happens I did get rear ended (clipped) in my car going 70mph.  Coming home from AA, Michigan late at night on on empty freeway.  I noted these head lights behind us closing VERY FAST.  I was traveling 70ish and I would GUESS that the car coming up was doing 100ish (who really knows).  Anyway as he/she/it got closer and closer but did not switch over to the high speed lane, I told my wife we are going to be hit and cut the car towards the shoulder.  The he/she/it woke up then, they were 2-3 car lengths behind us and cut to the high speed lane.  They clipped my rr fender (company car - large Cadillac,  glad I wasn't driving one of our personal smaller cars), they SPUN AROUND right next to me!  There we are I'm driving 70ish and this other care is driving BACKWARDS at 70ish right next to us.  Nice that Cadillac leather seats are Scotch Guarded.  That lasted for 3-6 seconds (or was it milliseconds that seemed like seconds?) then he/she/it swerved left into the median.  Spun around a few more times and speeded by us as we stopped on the shoulder.  Next day when I filled a report for insurance claim the State Police officer listened and had this look on his face like now I have heard them all.

Now you can say you have heard of one. 

My Dad used to call discussions like this a p*ssing contest.  It doesn't matter what we think about Montana's traffic laws.  They're *their* laws, and if you're traveling in their state you are obliged to obey them.  If you don't like them -- stay home -- or at least avoid the state!  If you are from Montana, and disagree with the laws, contact your legislators and lobby to change them. 

Back
Top Bottom