Watch what you say on line.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WILDEBILL308

Did you know words can hurt you?  What you say on social media can do you harm? Here is a case where someone made a Rant on face Book about his job and the people he worked with. The only problem was the company was in the UAE. When he returned to the UAE he was arrested and is facing five years in jail for the remarks he made. Keep in mind he made the remarks while on a trip back to the US.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...book-post/vi-AA9st3Z
Bill

Whats this Facebook you speak of? Oh I remember now, it's that thing I quit several years ago when they were changing privacy settings every three months or so. I had to go through pages and pages trying to figure out how new settings should be set up to keep my communication available only to people I chose, not anybody that googled my name. You google my real name now and you get swamped with hits from a singer songwriter from the UK and some preacher from the USA. Page after page of hits.

Bill

If Google's mantra is "Do no evil", then Facebook's is "Do no good for our users".  Facebook will suck up every bit of information they can about their users and sell it to the highest bidder.  The best thing you can do, if you absolutely MUST have a Facebook account, is lie about everything.

The best thing you can do, if you absolutely MUST have a Facebook account, is lie about everything.

That's pretty much my approach to FB.

The article did not load, i got a blank frame.  What happened?

Google is my friend: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/05/middleeast/american-arrested-in-uae/index.html

I see he was arrested in another country for remarks he made while here in the US.

Could that happen if he had made remarks against say a Company in Flordia?  Actually.. yes, it could.
Epically in Florida which has a law against making disparaging remarks against at least one industry.

EVEN IF YOUR REMARKS ARE 100% TRUE AND ACCURATE.

I will not say what law but on CIS-Miami Haratio Cane runs up against it.... The law is real.

An Excellent thread indeed!   

Years ago I tried FB, then complained to my family  (that there was no privacy!) including our college son.  He said "mom, FB was started by college kids to stay in-touch with each other and everybody they knew"  :D

Then due to my adult siblings posting family pictures mostly, I've signed up twice more then dropped out twice as well! ::)  Nope!  That's definitely not my cup of tea!  What a crazy media!  I was actually surprised how many of my own adult siblings were on this thing!  They even play games and fantasies on it too!  I simply can't find that much time in the day to be on the computer; nothing would get done to keep up a house hold, work, other hobbies and a family!  No thank you!

Greetings,

Not on FaceBook either. Tried to sign up once and realized they were asking too many personal questions so I terminated before I started. Family members got a site and wanted me to sign up but refused. Email works fine.

I use Facebook to see what family/friends are up to....Dont say much, mostly read.......I think about what I post. My life is not that complicated that I have to worry about it

I see some pretty silly comments on these forums too.

I enjoy Facebook, I even speak my mind sometimes. If anyone in the world is worrying about what I write on Facebook...they have way too much time on their hands. Of course I don't insult people, or talk about my coworkers or clients, unless I have something positive to say. Politicians on the other hand are fair game on Facebook, and I do enjoy capping on our elected officials.

I make no secret of the fact that my personal information on Facebook,,, IS FALSE.. .. This was done as a security measure, Someone getting my info from face book is not going to be able to duplicate my ID,, since the info is false.

Oh, they might be able to figure out my mailing address... but that's a shoe box in a store some where (Well PO Box). It's not where I am currently by around 1,000 miles.  And it is NOT the address on my Driver's license either.

It absolutely amazes me how so many absolutely missed the point of this post. This wasn't about if you like Face Book. This wasn't about how  Face Book  gathers info. This wasn't about how smart you are for using fake info on Face Book.
This was about a US citizen who posted on social media while in the US where it was legal. Then returned to work in UAE and was arrested and sentenced to 5 years jail time for his remarks.
Yes you are on social media right now.
Bill 

WILDEBILL308 said:
It absolutely amazes me how so many absolutely missed the point of this post. This wasn't about if you like Face Book. This wasn't about how  Face Book  gathers info. This wasn't about how smart you are for using fake info on Face Book.
This was about a US citizen who posted on social media while in the US where it was legal. Then returned to work in UAE and was arrested and sentenced to 5 years jail time for his remarks.
Bill

My take away is dont go to countries where you can get arrested for what you post of FB.

Paul

WILDEBILL308 said:

No one missed the point, this particular incident has been all over the blog-o-sphere and internet news sites since it happened.  Facebook was a major component in what occurred and the ensuing discussion was focused mostly on that.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Bill

As Ned says, Bill, we didn't miss the point. It's just that thread drift intervened, as it does in so many threads. Also, as Ned mentioned, the info is all over the web (I've not spotted it on conventional media, but, don't watch that so-called "news" very much).

Being careful on social media is one of the things we have stressed with our girls (now 21 and 19) for years. When they were in high school they would be tempted to get into a rant by friends about teachers or the superintendent. Now we stress to them that potential employers will search social media when considering an interview. I have no interest in social media but DW does and she keeps a pretty good eye on the kids...who have seemed to take our advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom