Watch what you say on line.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Assume that anything you write on the internet, even here, will stay there forever.  To quote a recent cartoon, "You can't un-pee in a pool" :)

I have fun with Facebook. I participate in a 300 mile bike ride every year to raise money for people in Minnesota who have HIV/AIDS. Consequently, over the years, I have made a lot of gay friends. When Minnesota was fighting for marriage equality, I was involved in several facebook discussions and shared several memes on the subject. Ive also joined in discussions commenting against Michelle Bachman and John Kline's antics.

Because of this, the ads on my sideline are full of legal counsel for gay rights, conservative christian political groups, etc. There are also frequently ads for sites where I could up with gay men. :D

Mainly, I use FB because between my husband and I, we have family all over the world in a gazilion different time zones. Its just easier to communicate there than any other site.

Paul & Ann said:
My take away is dont go to countries where you can get arrested for what you post of FB.

Paul

Well.. as I pointed out, YOU ARE IN ONE.

IF I were to say something against a specific industry and visit a specific state,,, NOT a different country but one of the 50 states (and I am not sure if it is only one) I COULD be arrested.

For this reason I will not even name the industry,  The state I can safely name, Florida.  There is no law against that.. yet.

EVEN IF I COULD PROVE THE POST WAS TRUE AND FACTUAL. 

We have some strange laws in this country as well. 

Then there is the story of the worker who used the company E-mail to send a message to a co-worker about "That sex kitten" He was concerned that her moaning and wanting it all the time was going to get him tossed out of his apartment, but tomorrow she gets the knife.

He got clear of the Police in time to keep the appointment with the Veterinarian.
(True the story is most likely a joke.. but it illistrates the dangers of saying things on line).

OH, my "Kitten",, has already been to the Veterinarian,  More than once, (Routine visits and yes.. said Knife, That was her 2nd visit).

"They" find things about you by searching your name. People tend to use their real name on Facebook. That is why Facebook entered the thread, it is the most common internet resource for prospective employers and nefarious people to search out info on individuals and is a prime example of how it could have happened to the person mentioned in the OG post. I am a member of several special interest forums online. no one knows my ID or exactly where I live. "They" could find me through my IP address if my posts were of the kind that would draw "Their" attention. But My IP address changes frequently. I live in an RV and have a couple different size hammers in my tool box, I do most of my own chassis and driveline repair myself. 8)

Bill

Oscar Mike said:
I enjoy Facebook, I even speak my mind sometimes. If anyone in the world is worrying about what I write on Facebook...they have way too much time on their hands. Of course I don't insult people, or talk about my coworkers or clients, unless I have something positive to say. Politicians on the other hand are fair game on Facebook, and I do enjoy capping on our elected officials.
Pretty much ditto for me.  FB is a good way for me to keep up with the grandkids...which I probably couldn't do otherwise.

I had a daughter, 2 nephews and a niece find me on Facebook.  The only way to keep skeletons in the closet is to keep the closet door shut. In my case I have a beautiful loving daughter that I wish had found me long ago.

WILDEBILL308 said:
It absolutely amazes me how so many absolutely missed the point of this post. This wasn't about if you like Face Book. This wasn't about how  Face Book  gathers info. This wasn't about how smart you are for using fake info on Face Book.
This was about a US citizen who posted on social media while in the US where it was legal. Then returned to work in UAE and was arrested and sentenced to 5 years jail time for his remarks.
Yes you are on social media right now.
Bill

Did NOT miss the point at all.
If you do not use it there is nothing to worry about.
Maybe that point was missed.

oldme said:
Did NOT miss the point at all.
If you do not use it there is nothing to worry about.
Maybe that point was missed.

This I fully understand, but My brother is on Facebook, My daughter is on Facebook, I have friends scattered all over who are on fact book..> There is a "young lady" (ok so she's my age) I seriously wish to re-aquaint with.. You guessed it, she's on facebook.. Get the idea.....

This is why my personal info, on facebook,, is slightly off.

Ned said:
Assume that anything you write on the internet, even here, will stay there forever.  To quote a recent cartoon, "You can't un-pee in a pool" :)

Humm, wonder if there is any pee indicator on this forum pool??  BTW, I'll never mention how un-informed my supervisor is. Anyway he may not be with the company very long.

Certainly one could write something here, or anywhere else that could get one in trouble in this or another country. 

But.... it's not as likely as on FB, Twitter, etc., there is a standard protocol in many companies where they even ask for ones password, so they can review their page.  I've never seen or heard a news story where someone was being forced to give away their RV Forum password though.  Maybe someone else can shed light on how countries and companies scan the internet for information on us, (other than just Google) ?  I've been led to believe that it's really just the big ones they look at for information. 

It would be interesting if this guy had posted on the RV Forum, motorcycle forum, etc. instead of FB if there would have been a problem.  Then I would be a little more concerned.

No need to get someone's forum password to see what they've written.  Just join and you can read everyone's postings.

The only reason to join and log in is to.post public messages or send PMs.

I thought certain sections were members only.

I knew about those, but didn't know the rest were all public to non-members.  Must have missed the memo ;)

Ahem ---  There is a huge number of Guests everyday (lurking). i.e. reading anything posted. I suppose from anywhere in the World. Ergo:  A lot of personal posts (Facebook Style)  are noted. Probably a good idea to leave the juice stuff out of it.

Oh well .

No change for a number of years. My original plan was to have some private member boards, but staff talked me out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom