Directtv question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skeets682

We have Kvh Direct Tv in our mh that the previous owner installed. My question is do they have a month to month plan available? We're stuck with Commiecast at home for another year, so really don't want to pay for a two year contract.

NO DirecTV has no Month to Month plan.. The antenna however MIGHT work with Dish Network (you will need to contact KVH to ind out how to re-program it)  "Dome" type antennas fall into basicall 3 groups when mounted on the roof (4 if portable)

The 4th (portable only) is the Tailgater, this is speciffically made to work with the Dish VIP 211 and selected other DISH receivers and should not work with DirecTV.  This is the only exception I know of (Not saying there are not more)

Rooftop domes (And other domes) fall into 3.1 groups.

First: ALL of them see one satellite at a time, and only in one band.. For a single channel DISH receiver, that's good.

Some are programmed for a sigle satellite,,, but from inside the coach and you can easily change the aim.

Some are programmed by DIP switches inside the dome (not so easily modified).

Some can be set so that a DISH receiver can pick between 2, or better yet 3 satellites.

The last kind is the best.. A 3-bird receiver controlled dome works 100% with a single channel DISH receiver like the VIP-211 line.

It will not get DirecHDTV (can be used with DirecTV just not HDTV) but it will get Dish HDTV.  What it does not work well with is dual channel or multi-receiver installs.  That can take 2 or 3 domes. (And a switch).

I have DirecTV in my house and I use the receiver out of the bedroom and put it in my Motorhome.  About 12 years ago I had cable in the house and DirecTV in the MH. At that Time they would allow you to place  the receiver in the MH on whole if you were not using it for at least a month. There would be no charge for that month. I am not sure if they still allow that at the present time. 

Does your RV have a satellite receiver as well as the KVH dome? If so, you may not require a long contract. I own my own receiver, so I can cancel without penalty. Direct will also let you suspend service up to 6 months in any calendar year, if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom