Econoline towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckle823

I read somewhere that a Ford Econoline with a 4.6 ltr and towing package has a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs. Not sure what rear end comes with the towing package. Can anyone confirm this capacity? We are having another child and want more room than the current F-150 lease we have offers.

Ford thinks it has only about 6100 to 6600.? ? To see what I mean click HERE.? ?

The Econoline van can be a fine tow vehicle, I have used one.? However, go for the E350 and the 6.0 diesel or the big 6.8L gasser.? ?To get anything like a decent tow rating out of the 4.6 and 5.4 V8s you need a 4.10 rear end.? Do that and you wind up with a busy, stressed small engine -- not a good recipe for economy.? ? ?You will enjoy trailering a lot more with a G350/1 ton chassis and brakes and a  big lazy engine.?

Sounds good Carl. I'll definitely check into the diesel. I didn't realize they made one for the Econoline.

I bought  a '86 E350? with the big 7 liter gasser to haul my wife, our two kids, one Lab, and car camping garbage back when.? It could haul a 29 foot rented tralier and later on a 20 foot ocean going 2-ton boat.? ?With that boat, the Green Machine could climb the Grapevine Pass in top gear with the A/C on.? ?Each my kids had their own bench seat to themselves.? ?That was one haulin' machine.

Another alternative for more room is the Expedition EL. It has a 9000 lb tow rating with the standard gas engine and comes very well equiped for towing. I just looked at one and it's really a nice vehicle. I have an 04 Expedition I tow with and am very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom