Adventurer Single-Speed Folding Bike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

Any opinions?
I did a search and didn't find much....

I'm thinking of getting a folding bike.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I would be afraid to park in a campground without locking it up.... but I also don't want a piece of junk either.

I'm figuring single speed is better since in my experience, lower end bike will come with cheap derailleurs which will almost never work right.

I'm really just wanting something to knock around on chasing the kids around campgrounds, maybe a little flat trail riding, but not anything like I used to do on my Gary Fisher mountain bike!  I'm too old and out of shape for that :-\

The first thing that comes to mind for me is to equip the kids with perimeter shock collars! They would stay within the area you have designated for them and no chasing involved!  ;D

Lol.

Sorry. I have no input on this. But it was the first thing that came to mind! :)

Yes I am giggling

I'm figuring single speed is better since in my experience, lower end bike will come with cheap derailleurs which will almost never work right.

Several years back we bought a pair of 7-speed Dahons from CW, and they've done fine, no chain or gear problems ever (for us). They just sit in the garage, now, along with other stuff from our small TT days (WDH, hitching camera, etc.), because we can take our full-size bikes along with the big rig.

Even cheap bikes come with pretty good gears these days.

I tried a folding bike once and found it to be very poorly built.  I swear you could dent the steel with a thumbnail and it just felt unsafe.  IMHO one is better off with a 3-speed cruiser.  They even have ones with automatic shifters - but they're pricey.

I'll bet you could find a used one dirt cheap. (Pun intended)

I still have my GF, just never ride it anymore.

8Muddypaws said:
Even cheap bikes come with pretty good gears these days.

I tried a folding bike once and found it to be very poorly built.  I swear you could dent the steel with a thumbnail and it just felt unsafe.  IMHO one is better off with a 3-speed cruiser.  They even have ones with automatic shifters - but they're pricey.

I'll bet you could find a used one dirt cheap. (Pun intended)

I still have my GF, just never ride it anymore.

Yeah, I spent a good bit of time a while back looking for what I call "an old man's bike".... you know, straight up posture, fenders, and those handlebars that aren't wide like a beach cruiser....  Couldn't find one around here used or new.  i ended up ordering a cheap beach cruiser, but that beast is HEAVY!... and it's not a good ride
My GF is just too aggressive of a stance for putting, and even though its old, it's in good shape and I figure worth something.....  I should sell it on ebay!

Just too much work to hang the new beast on the bike rack and puzzle in all the kids bikes with it. 

So I either need to buy a bigger bike rack... and then still probably have difficulty fitting on the little kids bikes
OR
consider a folder that I can keep in the storage locker under the coach.

Single Speed bikes are a pain in the legs, among other things. I'd not wish to ride less than a 5 speed, 10 is better, the one I ride is 18...  This is the only thing I will say about it.

More gears = Better ride  1 gear is for pre-teens.

For a foldable 20" bike, I would say Dahon is very good, albeit pricey. Even a single-speed foldable, for around $300, is marketed as being good for "urban commuting on flat streets." Just about any place I have been camping has hills, even if just on the roads connecting the various parts of the campground. A single-speed bike wouldn't cut it for me. Dahon has multi speed models (6-8) in the $500+ range. Very good quality.

Next step down I would say would be Schwinn. For $200 you can get a halfway decent seven-speed foldable.

The inexpensive $100-$150 multi speed foldables are not very sturdy in my opinion.

That said, if it were me I would just spring for a carrier that can handle your existing bike as well as the kids'. Load yours first so if you don't use it you don't have to bother with it (secured, it it were me).

Michael

We have a set of the Adventurer/Dahon bikes and use them quite a bit and would not be without them.  CW has them on sale periodically for $150 for the six speed.  That's what we bought and I don't think I would get the one speed since it really isn't much of a savings and we use the derailer.  Maybe not all six speeds but 2-3 anyway.  They fold up well and are something I can handle by myself.  I even got an oversized toolbox for the bed of my truck and keep them there.  That way I drive the truck to the trail head, if needed, and we unload and set them up there.

All in all, a very good purchase and we have used them quite bit with no mechanical problems at all.  Well built and smooth operating.

Camping World bikes haven't been made by Dahon for a number of years.  The current bikes are, of course, made in China.  I have the 6 speed bikes and they function reasonably well.  I wanted to upgrade to the 12 speed bikes, and had willing buyers for mine, but the 22" tires are nearly impossible to buy, so they are disposable bikes.

As far as buying an "old man's" bike , you really want a number of gears.  Those old legs will tire quickly on a single speed.

I have a pair of older 3 speed Dahons that will be up for sale soon.  Those bikes have 20" tires and fold up much smaller than the Adventurers.  The 3 speed transmission is in the hub and are trouble free.

Here is a 6 speed folding bike with 26 inch wheels for only $128.45 and $36.50 shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ7KS80/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00NJ7KS80&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=AE6SEHU4QGDTAZCK

Invest in a cable lock, I lock mine to to the picnic table or the RV step. Also it comes in handy if you decide to park and hike, you can lock bike to a tree or bike stand.

I have a 7 speed cheap bike, and it runs well and I've had it up and down a lot of beaches too. I use the white lightning stuff on the chain and it's going strong after 2.5 years of near daily use.

Attachments

• folding 26 inch bike.jpg
    folding 26 inch bike.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5
lynnmor said:

I have a pair of older 3 speed Dahons that will be up for sale soon.  Those bikes have 20" tires and fold up much smaller than the Adventurers.  The 3 speed transmission is in the hub and are trouble free.

That sounds like what I'd really like to have.... no derailleurs, but a transmission hub.

My dad had an old Schwinn beach cruiser when i was in high school with a 3-speed hub.  On that one you'd pedal backwards to change the gear.  That was when Schwinns were made in the USA and were good bikes....

Keep me in mind when you want to sell.  I might be interested!!!

To clarify:
When I was shopping for folding bikes, I did a lot of research to see if there were any obvious differences between Adventurer, Yeah and Dahon, other than the price.  I couldn't find any.  They were the same weight, and the same process to fold and seemed to be equals.  When I bought mine, the advertisements explained that it was a Dahon affiliate and made with technology that was licensed by Dahon.  I assumed that made them pretty similar.  They still advertise them that way and also advertise that CW is the only authorized US distributor for Adventurer.  Not sure about Yeah now. 
That probably is not important but to reply to the OP, the bikes have been everything we hoped they would be and are durable and have been totally problem-free after many miles.  And they are six-speed which I appreciate.  We would recommend them to anybody getting a folding bike.  In fact, my wife prefers hers to our full size bikes which are available when we are at home.  Something about being closer to the ground and feeling more secure.

Back
Top Bottom