EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Towing capacity of towable vehicles  (Read 2718 times)

FloridaMark

Towing capacity of towable vehicles
« on: April 22, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
I own a Four Winds Five Thoasand 28A that I use to travel for my work in the film industry. I currently am towing a standard shift Ford Ranger but need something with more passenger/cargo room and as much of its own tow capicity as possible. Many of my projects are associated with the water and require me to tow a 25 foot boat, ideally with the RV and at times with the vehicle that I tow behind the RV. The boat weights 4300 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. Is there a vehicle that can do both. Tow behind the RV and at other times tow the boat?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Towing capacity of towable vehicles
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:28:03 PM »
You will have to learn the towing specs of your motorhome to answer that question.  You need to know is GCWR, its actual weight when loaded for a trip (get it weighed at a commercail scale) and the rating of the hitch on the motorhome.  With those three numbers you can determine how heavy a vehicle you can tow and use that to figure out what vehicles will comply with your limits.

On that size motorhome, the hitch is likely a 4000 lb rating (or less), so that may be your limiting factor.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

caltex

• ---
Re: Towing capacity of towable vehicles
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 09:01:43 PM »
I use a 4 wheel drive Tahoe to pull my boat (about the same weight class as yours).  I also use the Tahoe as a toad behind my RV since it tows 4 down without any modification. May not work for you as the Tahoe is 6000 pounds plus, and might be over your towing limit.
Robert

Hosted by Over The Network