Internet Connectivity for Motor Home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

fijidad

I've read several posts in the PC, Communications threads, but my analog brain is trying to focus on how to use a router in a motor home to capture the Wi-Fi signal from say an RV park. I have set up routers at home, and have a "signal extender" at the other end of the house to extend coverage, so I'm a bit familiar with the equipment. But the router has a cable input...typically a CAT 5 or coax. In an RV park, there is no cable, only a wireless signal, or at least that's my understanding.

Since a "range extender" uses a wireless input, would that be the better piece of equipment to use? It would wirelessly pick up the Wi-Fi signal from the park, and our laptops would be signed into the extender. Yes? No?

Most laptops have their own builtin wifi antenna so you shoudln't need any extra equipment.

If the signal is weak, you can use a Wifi adapter that plugs into USB. I have the UAWIFI and it is awesome. Sometimes I just stick it on the ceiling of the RV inside, other times I stick it out the window on a pole. This will also work with laptops or computers that down't have built in Wifi.

See
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050A3Z8E/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0050A3Z8E&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=O6JIRPOFM25CBYXA

Attachments

• UAWIFI adapter.jpg
    UAWIFI adapter.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 11
There are several devices you can use to connect your router to a WiFi network.  One example is the Surf On-the-Go that offers that as one mode.  It can also be used to connect a cellular modem (air card) to the router as well a several other modes.  We've been using the predecessor, the Surf Mini, for several years for just such a purpose.

Pepwave, Cradlepoint, WiFiRanger, and others make routers with "WiFi as WAN" capabilities as well as cell modem capabilities. They're particularly useful for boosting a weak WiFi signal, but they're also useful for connecting multiple devices to a campground system that requires a login. In that case, the single login for the router serves to connect all of the connected devices instead of each device having to log in by itself.

most people complain about both the speed and signal strength on just about every campground wi-fi.

for us the Version Hot-spot is our internet supply and signal router.

TonyDtorch said:
most people complain about both the speed and signal strength on just about every campground wi-fi.

for us the Version Hot-spot is our internet supply and signal router.
I'm not the expert, so just asking.....your laptop connects to the internet through the Verizon Hot Spot, which connects to the nearest cell tower and then into the Verizon infrastructure for access to the internet.

That sounds like it would chew up lots of "cellular data" and result in higher costs from Verizon...yes?

Does anyone have a solution to make the hotspot more user friendly?

That is... when my wife want's to get on her ipad, I need to connect the hotspot on my phone, then I need my phone in close proximity to her.

My phone is stuck in the RV and I can't take it with me to leave anywhere.

Ideally, something with a built in hotspot that I can program to my number and have it available all the time without tying up the phone proximity. Don't know if such an animal exists.

Yes fijidad, this chews an incredible amount of data. I'm working remotely and pay about 20-30 bucks more per month for 2 months while snowbirding, which for me is better than increasing the plan all year round.

fijidad said:
I'm not the expert, so just asking.....your laptop connects to the internet through the Verizon Hot Spot, which connects to the nearest cell tower and then into the Verizon infrastructure for access to the internet.

That sounds like it would chew up lots of "cellular data" and result in higher costs from Verizon...yes?

Most people get a 4G data plan with Verizon or another carrier or use their phone as a hot spot. I have not used a phone as a hot spot so can't comment on that.
You can go online and get the latest cost for data plans  from the carriers.

After we got new laptops a year or so ago with Win 8 our data usage went much higher than before and we were using over 10 GB per month combined. We were grandfathered in with an unlimited data Verizon 3G plan and to get 4G were going to have to get a 10 GB per month plan at $80 a month and try to keep the data use below 10 GB a month.

We stopped full timing and snow birding and no longer required mobile internet so signed up with a local cable service for internet only. Much faster and less than $80 per month - actually $39 per month for the first year and then goes close to $80 a month thereafter.

For motor homes Verizon has an option that combies a HOT SPOT,with a few other useful devices...Like an OBDII "Scanner"

This unit plugs into your OBD II port and gets power from the vehicle....Very nice..also can track your ride,and a few other features all useful.  Of ourse you need a data plan for it. AND it burns up some of that data.

Does anyone have a solution to make the hotspot more user friendly?

That is... when my wife want's to get on her ipad, I need to connect the hotspot on my phone, then I need my phone in close proximity to her.

My phone is stuck in the RV and I can't take it with me to leave anywhere.

Ideally, something with a built in hotspot that I can program to my number and have it available all the time without tying up the phone proximity. Don't know if such an animal exists.

Yu have discovered the big drawback of using the phone as the hot spot.  The solution is called a MiFi or Jetpack - a cell modem & hot spot combo. But it has its own phone number - you can't have two devices (hotspot and phone) both using the same number simultaneously. You buy a data plan for the modem/hotspot and one for the phone. Or you have them share the same pool of data (that's what Verizon recommends and it works fine for many people).

I use a combination of three devices for Internet, all are from Verizon.  The main source is a MiFi device.  It is very small and I leave it plugged in the motorhome.  It automatically connects to any computer or Ipad that is configured for connection.  I carry a smart phone that does have a WiFi hotspot , but I rarely use the hot spot.  I just use the phone directly for email or Internet connections.  I have been using it a lot more for this forum, though it is a pain to type on.  Slow if I use the stylus or many errors if I usae my big fingers.  The third device, (Delphi), came into use kind of as a mistake.  I wanted to plug in a device that would track the movements of the motorhome.  A poor man's version of a LOjack.  I found out after getting it that DPs do not have an OBD11 port.  Instead of returning it I plugged it into the second Jeep.  Now the Ipad can be used in the jeep or even another laptop through the Wifi function.  It also tracks the Jeep and is great for finding it in a big parking garage.

The main thing I want to say is that there are several options for Internet on the road.  The above devices are all 4G and fast.  The downside is that for this solution with 30 gigs of data a month it costs about $250 .

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yu have discovered the big drawback of using the phone as the hot spot.  The solution is called a MiFi or Jetpack - a cell modem & hot spot combo. But it has its own phone number - you can't have two devices (hotspot and phone) both using the same number simultaneously. You buy a data plan for the modem/hotspot and one for the phone. Or you have them share the same pool of data (that's what Verizon recommends and it works fine for many people).

Excellent solution. I'm working remotely and with the phone, can't be on the phone and online at the same time.
I suspect I would be purchasing this item from Verizon?
If so, I will visit a store here where we're staying and get a new number set up to share the data plan.
As usual, thanks so much Gary.

BinaryBob said:
Excellent solution. I'm working remotely and with the phone, can't be on the phone and online at the same time.
I suspect I would be purchasing this item from Verizon?
If so, I will visit a store here where we're staying and get a new number set up to share the data plan.
As usual, thanks so much Gary.
That would work.

I'm on AT&T and use a Note 4 as my main smartphone. But I also have my older Note 2 that is in perfect condition. What I often do is pop out the sim card from my Note 4 and put it in the Note 2--and use the Note 2 as a hotspot (stays on the charger).

As I use Google Voice number as my primary number I just use it via wifi on my Note 4 when the sim card is in the Note 2.

Michael

Ned said:
There are several devices you can use to connect your router to a WiFi network.  One example is the Surf On-the-Go that offers that as one mode.  It can also be used to connect a cellular modem (air card) to the router as well a several other modes.  We've been using the predecessor, the Surf Mini, for several years for just such a purpose.
I'm almost always confused by the many options the internet provides....any thoughts on this Peplink Pepwave AP One Mini Wireless Access Point (OAS-AGN1) vs. this Peplink Pepwave Surf On-The-Go Wi-Fi Router (SUS-AGN1)?

Those are different devices for different purposes.  The OAS-AGN1 is just a WiFi access point while the SUS-AGN1 is a router with WiFi as WAN capabilities.  They aren't really comparable.  What is your intended use?

Ned said:
Those are different devices for different purposes.  The OAS-AGN1 is just a WiFi access point while the SUS-AGN1 is a router with WiFi as WAN capabilities.  They aren't really comparable.  What is your intended use?
The intended use if to enhance the wi-fi signal at an RV park, for use in our motor home.

The Surf-on-the-Go that I recommended previously is your best choice if you want to connect the park WiFi to multiple devices.  If you have just one computer, then a good external antenna and matching WiFi adapter is a good option, and probably less expensive.

Ned said:
The Surf-on-the-Go that I recommended previously is your best choice if you want to connect the park WiFi to multiple devices.  If you have just one computer, then a good external antenna and matching WiFi adapter is a good option, and probably less expensive.
Thanks Ned.

If you have a device such as a MiFi and a small data plan on your smart phone, when you are in your unit you can connect you phone via wifi and use the mifi as the hot spot and not use your phone data time.

elliott-maine said:
If you have a device such as a MiFi and a small data plan on your smart phone, when you are in your unit you can connect you phone via wifi and use the mifi as the hot spot and not use your phone data time.
Thanks Elliott. I went to a local AT&T store yesterday and looked at what they offered as a hot spot. They have offerings similar to Verizon's and wanted $20/month to add it to our contract. That's not terrible, but we have yet to take our first trip, and don't know yet just how much we'll be using the rig over the course of the year. I think we'll start by suing our smart phones for individual access to the internet, when there is no Wi-Fi available.

Back
Top Bottom