Internet Connectivity for Motor Home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The switch could certainly be the bottleneck.  Bypass it and do the tests again.  I wouldn't get anything less than gigabit switches today, even if all your devices don't have more than 100Mbps ports.

I had an 8 port Gigabit switch in my network and ended up taking it out because it slowed everything down.  It was between my modem and wireles router.

Perhaps your switch has a high priority port and your Roku is plugged into one of the other ports?

I originally had my Ooma VOIP installed between the modem and router - their default setup.  It lost more that 50% of my connection speed and made my modem complain about it not being Gigabit capable.  As soon as I put Ooma behind the router my speed at the router more than doubled.  I had to open up a couple of firewall ports to get it to work though.

Tinmania said:
Is there a 10Base-T device somewhere in the mix? In theory it should not slow down the switch but I have seen a single 10Base-T connection slow everything down to 10mbps.

Michael

You got in there before I finish typing.....We are thinking along the same lines.  I will try to remove all connected devices except the Roku and rerun the test.  If it is still slow, I will plug the Ethernet going to the switch directly into the Roku to eliminate the switch and see what happens.  That should help pinpoint the problem.

8Muddypaws said:
I had an 8 port Gigabit switch in my network and ended up taking it out because it slowed everything down.  It was between my modem and wireles router.

Perhaps your switch has a high priority port and your Roku is plugged into one of the other ports?

I originally had my Ooma VOIP installed between the modem and router - their default setup.  It lost more that 50% of my connection speed and made my modem complain about it not being Gigabit capable.  As soon as I put Ooma behind the router my speed at the router more than doubled.  I had to open up a couple of firewall ports to get it to work though.

My OOMA is behind my modem.  The access point which is running off of my main switch is running fine.  I think it might be either the daisy chained switch supplying the Roku or a cabling issue.  Good suggestions though.  I've heard of similar issue with OOMA when in front of the modem.

8Muddypaws said:
I added it to mine the normal way but apparently you can add it to your channels using this webpage.

https://www.rokuchannels.tv/speedtest/

It may take a couple of tries to work and you'll need to login to your Roku account.  It's easier to use the Roku remote.

Thanks, that did it.

I think the key was being signed in to my account before clicking on the link.

Thanks

Ned said:
It won't be cheap.

Come on Ned.... with the government or the FCC now regulating the Internet I am sure we will see lower prices and faster service.  Look what they have done for us when it comes to healthcare.

Unless you have no tech skills whatsoever OnStar for data is a waste of money*. OnStar merely uses the AT&T data network, and charges you more than you would from AT&T directly (they used to use Verizon). This is over-and-above the normal cost of OnStar. Worse, you don't get the rollover feature that AT&T now has in place, for one month (T-Mobile's is for one year, so hopefully AT&T will begrudgingly match it).

* If you already have AT&T and a mobile data share plan, you can add your OnStar vehicle to that plan for just $10. I'd still rather use a portable hotspot device for much more flexibility but for $10 it is not bad for the convenience factor.

All that said I don't see it coming to an RV anytime soon, if ever.

Michael

If you're looking for something to grab a weak wireless signal, you can use a USB wifi antenna. I have a few of these and they work great:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-External-Antenna-Wireless-RNX-N180UBE/dp/B004BV4JXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428901489&sr=1-1&keywords=rosewill+180

They're around $20.

Tips on positioning your antenna: Imagine putting a donut around your finger. In this example, your finger is the antenna, and the donut is the region for best transmitting/receiving. The best region moves out perpendicular to the antenna in an expanding donut shape for this type of antenna. This means that if you point your finger (antenna) at the RV park's wireless router, you'll get terrible reception. Also keep in mind that wireless signals can't travel through the metal exterior of your RV, so put your antenna next to a window or even run the usb wire of the antenna outside of the RV if you can. You can buy USB extention cords but I wouldn't have more than 5-7 feet in length from the usb port on your computer to the antenna since the longer the cord length, the slower the connection will be.

One more tip. Let's say you have this antenna next to the window on the inside of the RV. If you put something metal, like a sheet of aluminum foil or even a coke can that's been cut open, 1.5 to 3 inches behind the antenna it will result in a greater range out the window. Google "coke can antenna" to see some examples and pics.

Another consideration is purchasing a wireless cell signal booster. We are at end of a 5 1/2 month road trip in the SW and found the new Wilson booster devive very useful.  We had several occasions where our Jetpack showed "no service" and using the booster brought us 3 or 4 bars. This replaced our old cradle device whichdoes not work as well.

We have an ATT sim card with a 4 gig dataackage also for the phone. We found that in the areas we travelled in that Verizon has far better coverage.Unfortunately however we can't get a pay as you go sim card from Verizon (we use a Canadian unlocked smartphone).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom