What have you carried in the past that you no longer do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BinaryBob said:

By the way, I hate being the grammar police but you left out a comma in one of your sentences.
You wrote: "I'd like to get rid of some dishes, kids toys, and other misc small stuff...."

Fixed it for ya:
"I'd like to get rid of some dishes, kids, toys, and other misc small stuff...."  ;D ;D

LOL!
That reminds me of the book, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss
I found it hard to read since it's written in the Queen's English, but there were some funny examples of punctuation usage in that one!

An entire forest worth of 2x6's for leveling. I still carry a few small pieces but most of the places we've been need at most 1-1/2" to level out. I carry a bag of the plastic blocks if more leveling is needed - they are lighter and take up less space.

I have a small (5'?) sewer hose that we got with our prior TT (in 2004!) that one would theoretically use at the dump station...it's never been out of the box. Maybe I'll finally toss it this season.  ::)

On the mat topic, I carry two - a fake grass/rubber backed one that keeps the moisture at bay goes down first and a nice, comfortable, spongy, bare-foot friendly rubber mat goes on top.

If anyone has a way to convince his wife not to carry so much clothing, I want to hear it. Mine carries over 50 pieces, not including underwear, and she says she doesn't have enough. mercy!!

If anyone has a way to convince his wife not to carry so much clothing, I want to hear it. Mine carries over 50 pieces, not including underwear, and she says she doesn't have enough. mercy!!

You guys just don't understand!  Women NEED to have shoes that match the clothes.  The tops have to match the pants or skirts.  Even some underwear goes better with a specific outfit than others.  Then there are the clothes for different seasons.  No matter how hard I try to plan for longer trips Mother Nature never cooperates and I end up wishing I had [cooler] [hotter] weather clothes.  It's tough to get it all just right!  That's why houses and RVs usually have more storage for women inside.  You guys get the outdoor storage for your tools and such.  I have more inside drawers and one small outdoor bay while Jerry has fewer inside drawers and one huge outdoor bay.  It all evens out in the long-run so stop complaining!  ;) :eek: ;D

ArdraF

RVRAC said:
I don't think I own that many pieces of clothing.....
matter of fact, I know I don't!

I'm pretty much a true RV'er. I load up for the weekend and head out and enjoy 2-3 days out in the woods. So in my RV the only thing I might leave behind is the brand new fishing poles that never seen a lake in 5 years. Heck I've not got a fishing or a hunting license in over 12 years now. Typically we travel out to a place and enjoy the outdoors and quiet. Grab the GPS and go hiking around. Maybe hop in the truck and check out the local area. Rarely I might take the ATV with me and wonder area in the woods. We've got the bare basics in the RV now that we use most every time.

I no longer say a word when my DW packs enough clothing for a month, when we are only going to be gone for a short weekend trip. My attitude changed when the only pair of shoes I had and was wearing at the time, got soaked by very bad stuff, when my sewer house came loose at a dump station. Had to listen to DW for 200 miles as I drove with bare smelly feet! Now when I load up, I automatically calculate 200 pounds of unnecessary stuff will be coming with us!

We're the opposite. I have boots, a couple pairs of sneakers and some sandals that live in the camper. My wife often has just the one pair of shoes she was wearing when she left the house. During a long rainy weekend, guess who has dry shoes to change into?

As to items removed? The big propane stove, cast iron griddle and 20 pound tank, after not using them for a couple is seasons. Amazingly, the compartment is still empty!

RVRAC said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one here that thinks this way! :)

ArdraF.

Thanks for the tip with boxes. I'm currently working on a compromise with my significant other 8)

about fifteen pieces of cast iron:
skillets
dutch ovens
tripods to cook them on
then I wondered why I got such lousy gas mileage

jb

We don't carry much stuff to begin with. We're both tightwads.

I normally dress like I'm homeless, so that keeps things pretty simple.

My partner and I are going to struggle with the "what do we take, what do we leave" question.  We have had adjacent seasonal sites (the "big house" and the "guest quarters") for years and we have 4 sheds!  I have an entire shed for my cast iron and she has an entire shed for her outdoor decorations!  The other two are general purpose (tools, leaf blower, air compressor, tarps, etc).  So, we have A LOT OF STUFF.

We got a class B in October and have only camped in it once.  I packed a single pie iron/tools/cords/cables/adapters/hoses/etc and she packed the dishes/games/bed stuff/etc.  I know we have an electric skillet and a crock pot as well as one sauce pan and one frying pan.  We have a closet left for clothes and a cabinet above the couch is still empty.  We have to make our bed each night (breaking down the couch and dinette).  It's amazing how much this changes how you use your inside storage! 

I am trying to figure out where I can put two folding lawn chairs.  I may also want to take a small indoor/outdoor carpet.  The only place I have left outside for this is between the spare tire (on the back) and the camper.

I don't know if we will keep everything in the camper each time we go out or if we will get in the habit of reviewing our resources and making trip-specific decisions about what to leave and what to take.  We plan on using the class B 3-4 times during the camping season and 3-4 times during the off season.  We will likely camp at our seasonal site over 100 times this calendar year (nearly every weekend during the season, a full week for spring break and a full week for a 4th of July vacation).

This is a great thread. I am on the other side of the fence. Moving from our old Pop-up to our new to us TT this coming season. I am trying to figure out what I need (and don't need) to buy.
Definitely getting a folding mat for under the awning, ditching that rolled up astro-turf / outdoor rug dirt trap we have been carting around.
I cook on the fire too much to get rid of the C.I. cookware I have. But the other stuff I can relate too.

That said, my best advice is...
Rent a Pop-up for a weekend or two and you'll figure it out.  ;)

Here is the flip side.  Is there a prize for carrying the most stuff.

Two 10 x 20 canopies
10 X 12 Screen room
5 carpets
5 tarps
3 folding tables
10 chairs
2 cars
golf cart
workshop
125 feet 6-2 electric wire for 50 amps temp hookup

by now you get the idea.

Great thread.
Portable waste water tank. Takes up too much storage space and has hardly ever been used.

We have a pile of give away camping supplies.

Some of which are still in the original packaging.

Now we wait until we are sure we can't live without it.

Super duper heavy duty chain (just in case our 40' home had to be pulled out of the sand???)
5 pieces each of every tool in every size one could imagine
I keep throwing them out and brother Bob keeps sneaking them in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom