How many of you would like one of these ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

How many of you would fancy one of these......

http://www.geocities.com/splitrecreationalvehicle/index.html

For those of you who might be interested, there is a new type of RV currently in the development stage! It's the "SRV" which stands "Split Recreational Vehicle" because.... it's an RV that "splits in two". These units will range in weight from 28,000 to 36,000 pounds (GVW) and will be 46' to 50 feet in overall length. The front section will provide cooking facilities, a 3pc bath, sitting/eating area, water tanks, entertainment features, and sleeping quarters for up to 4 people. The rear section will provide a master bedroom with 2 or 3 piece bath, a living room, bar fridge, guest chairs, computer desk, entertainment features, and sleeping quarters for up to 5 people. Both sections will provide refrigeration, heating, air conditioning, LP (propane) gas supply, and a separate 100-125 volt electrical system. In between each section will be the "WFC extension unit" a thin, insulated, hydraulically operated tunnel, which will act as a watertight walkway between each section. The rear section can easily be left behind at the campground, while the front section takes off for day trips. The front section construction is the same as a Class A motorhome, and the rear section construction is the same as a fifth wheel trailer. Prices will range from $150,000 to $325,000. Some future, more luxurious models will be in the range of $550,000 to $1,250,000.

Paul

NO thanks  the 65' I have is long enough running down the road.

OK, Paul. You got a sale. We'll take one. The "bend in the middle" is appealing.

I'm guessing these are front end diesel, only?

Ray D

This design - and the pictures on that website- have been around for at least 3-4 years now. Don't know if any have been built for retail sale yet and I've never seen one on the road.  It's essentially a Class C pulling a trailer, which you do see from time to time.

Frankly, I see no advantage to it at all to the design. Why is splitting the living quarters more or less equally across two vehicles an improvement? Why is driving my kitchen to the local Walmart a blessing? What does "bending in the middle" do that is so wonderful? It's a fifth wheel configuration and that has the same turn lag as a long wheel base motorhome, leading to the same concerns about narrow roads and trees/signs at the edge of a roadway. And you have the same backing problems as a fifth wheel, though not those of a toad on a motorhome.  And for those who worry about water leaks, insulation and such, that accordion connector that allows you to walk between the two halves has got to be a maintenance nightmare that makes a slideout look simple.

No thanks - I'm not the slightest bit interested.

Thanks, but no thanks!  It's too much like a fifth wheel to suit me.  It would be too long with a toad to drive comfortably.  And I personally wouldn't want to drive the front end around parking lots or even on day trips.  I still prefer a motorhome (A or C) and a toad.  ;D

ArdraF

RV Roamer said:
......And for those who worry about water leaks, insulation and such, that accordion connector that allows you to walk between the two halves has got to be a maintenance nightmare that makes a slideout look simple......

Gary,

On the 17 coaches we had in Fairbanks, the accordion connector was the most reliable thing on the coach. In all the years we ran them, the only time we ever had to repair one was when some vandals slashed two of them to get inside the coaches. They stole the microwave out of the gallies and all the audio/video gear.

the accordion connector was the most reliable thing on the coach.

Amazing! Maybe they should make slide-out sidewalls that way then.

But your buses had regular and professional maintenance and preventive maintenance can avoid a of of breakdowns.

That rig would be great if you didn't have to pull a toad and not have to enter campgrounds. Some of those 35' CGs? you'd have to fold it in half to park it.

RV Roamer said:
This design - and the pictures on that website- have been around for at least 3-4 years now. Don't know if any have been built for retail sale yet and I've never seen one on the road.
Was that one on the site just a mockup then? The blurb on Camping Canada says "The SRV is currently in the development stage.... look for it to be available in the summer of 2006.", I think that's now overdue ;)

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I heard from the Prevost parts manager in Los Angeles that two of this model coach had been converted into motor homes.
Now I'd like to see that ;) We have bendy-buses down here that might make interesting MHs but what to do about the bendy bit is a problem. And keeping the weather out is also a problem.

For those wondering about the feasibility of the Split Recreational Vehicle, apparently what are called Toter-homes are already available. Putting a 5'er behind them doesn't seem to be that odd. It is in the walk-through connection between them that really stretches the imagination.

While talking about wonderful dreams, check out this interesting (improbable?) plan for split-level bedrooms in a 5th wheeler. Especially check out the supposed "Testimonials" for a good chuckle.

OK Guys

How about this one then - http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/08/caravanAP260806_600x426.jpg

You can see the full interior shots - but Im not sure that decor is to my liking - http://www.volkner-mobil.de/mobile/perfor/index_perform.htm

So - as I cant temp you with the bendy RV - can I temp you with the underbelly garage instead ?

Paul

PS You will like this one from their RV range - just dont ask me how you are supposed to get the car there in the first place? ;D - see the photo http://www.volkner-mobil.de/mobile/volkner_renn_transp/Bilder/rt_600_10

Nope  Rather have  a big Newell or Prevost or something of that nature.  Don't like small cars no matter what they are.  Interior is rediculous.  Fugley in plain words.  Saw this unit on Travel Channel last year and didn't like it then. My Lincoln would sort of squashed in there.  Those toys are for people that got more money then cents. IMHO

UK-RV said:
can I temp you with the underbelly garage instead ?
I thought the innovation was great but gee, you'd have to be short to fit in a car low enough to fit in their garage.
Looking through their site I though this was a neat innovation for storing a motor bike or scooter; Twisting bike storage rail
BTW, if folks are having problems with the language of sites like that you can get help through Babelfish translations.
http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/tr
Either cut-n-paste a paragraph or two to convert, or paste in the web site's URL.

Well, I think these things are interesting. I can't poo-poo them, because I couldn't afford the doorknob on the entryway. Not going to buy one, so I entertain myself fantasizing. (I'm too old to give a damn, if people think I'm crazy, anyway!)

We stopped for lunch about 20 miles east of Boise, from a short trip to Massacre Rocks, last July. As we were walking around the front, to go inside, a massive Prevost pulled in and parked beside us. Well, I don't get all that close to one of those, on a regular basis, so I had to scan it for a few minutes. Dani got into a conversation with the very nice couple who were getting out.

Later, she asked me if I had noticed the "big door" in the basement. I had. That door was more than 5 ft wide. Dani said she was really curious about that door, so asked them.

"That's their garage!" she said.

Well, it was a big door, but not that big. So, I told her they were kidding. "No," they park a specially modified car in there, cross ways.  They offered to show her. I was glad she didn't call them on that, then. Now, I wish I'd had a look at that car! Don't know what it was, before they modified it. But, it couldn't have been more than 4 ft tall, 5 ft wide, and not much more than 7 ft long.

If I ever see that Prevost, again, I'm going to take a look at that car!

That would solve my toad problem!

Ray D

While talking about the "Split Recreational Vehicle" I took a look around the web for other places that had mentioned this "new" type of vehicle. This link is the discussion they had over at Escapees back last year.

And this is a picture that one guy offered showing his rig was close to what the proposal offered, well except for being able to walk from one half to the other it is ;)
One person mentioned emailing the designer who said that he had solid orders for at least 130 something of these units - if it was ever built. But nobody has ever seen a prototype. One person said that the prototype drawing was wrong as the connector unit would have to be placed over the centre of the movement otherwise the two ends would pull too far apart. Not sure what he is talking about but it sounded like a valid criticism. Knowing our bendy buses here there is some distance - several feet - that is taken up with the large scale hinge and turntable that allows personal movement between the two halves of the bus.

fredethomas said:
Looks like an "18 wheeler?"
Probably drives like one too.
I have checked and apparently our Licensing would not allow Car Licences to be enough to drive one of these units, nor one of the tractor/fiver combos. Would need to be able to drive the full truck/semi/tractor trailer units before driving one of these. Takes the anticipation away but I still think it is an interesting idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom