tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never heard of them.  Probably "China Bombs".  Companies over there will slap any name on it the selling company wants.
Motor home tires are the one place you don't want to put "cheap" or "off brand" tires on.  Spend the extra bucks and get something decant and reliable.
Considering the air pressure that these tires are inflated too and the weight they support, "cheap" is the last thing you want to use.
Grumpy

Just googled em.  Made by a company called Sutong, obviously China. 
Personally, I wouldn't even use one as a spare much less depending on it for my and wife's well being.
Grumpy

If your Southwind uses the 16" LT tires (as many of that vintage do), check out Toyo or Firestone as possible replacements.  I had good service from both of those brands on my Class A, and they may be more affordable than the Michelin or Goodyear equivalents.

I'd shop around a bit and see what's out there for your money, then decide what is right for you. I based my decision on product reviews and cost V.S. amount of usage.
I put Chinese tires (Double Coin) on my 37' Pace Arrow when I owned it. Put probably 15K trouble free miles on them which for me is heavy usage. Took a few vacations to Utah and California.

Good Luck!

I guess I'm just one of those who rates safety and manufacturer reputation over price.  I still and always will maintain that your better off spending more to buy a quality product with known reliability, especially when our safety is a concern. 
I can just imagine what goes on in some of the overseas factories.  No oversight, no quality control or checks, and how much testing is really done?
Factory owners conversation probably goes something like,  "well, last week we made noodles, this week we'll make tires".
Don't know how far you travel, or how many travel with you (wife?  kids?)  but spending a few hundred bucks xtra to get quality should be a no brainer.  Hell, most of us dump more than that in the stuff we buy for our rigs every year.
Grumpy

1988 Southwind has 19.5 rims? Want to save a little cash? Look at Hankook tire, made in Korea rated # 7 worldwide. I use them on more than just my MH and like them. Aurora tires are also made by Hankook and may be a little less. Supposedly Aurora uses last generation tread design from Hankook.

Bill

I will buy USA made. I see no reason (saving a few bucks is not a reason) to buy foreign made tires. The quality is always suspect...IMO. At any rate these days I am making a concerted effort to buy USA everything. It takes a bit of research, and it most always costs a little more but at the end of the day I feel better for having helped put food on an American family's plate.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Good morning  :) A factor to consider is the availability of a tire; when one is needed, while traveling.... An
8R19.5 is not a popular tire size. While Hankook is OEM for some chassis, I looked at the AH11, I just replaced
my rear four with Bridgestones R187 Metro Radial. The price difference was not bad, within the budget. 

Good luck
Dan

The only US made tires are Cooper, Goodyear and Kelly Springfield.

A little reading from an article on tires ...

Tire manufacturers, many of which have moved some production to China to save money, say that production techniques and materials are the same no matter where the tires are made, and that their Chinese tires are every bit as good as those made elsewhere in the world.

?The Chinese tires coming into this country for the most part have been safe tires,? said Roy Littlefield, executive vice president of the Tire Industry Association. ?All the tires have to be tested before they come here," he said, referring to U.S. government testing and standards.

?We have same global quality standards around the world,? said Keith Price, a spokesman for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. ?The standards are the same whether we make it in Oklahoma, Germany, Brazil, Indonesia, or China, the product standards are the same.?
Jim Smith, editor of Tire Review, a trade magazine, said he has seen this for himself.
?Michelin is very persnickety,? he said. ?At the Chinese plant you couldn?t tell if you were in China or in South Carolina. The plant has the same controls, the same machines and the same uniforms on the workers.?

Oscar Mike said:
I will buy USA made. I see no reason (saving a few bucks is not a reason) to buy foreign made tires. The quality is always suspect...IMO. At any rate these days I am making a concerted effort to buy USA everything. It takes a bit of research, and it most always costs a little more but at the end of the day I feel better for having helped put food on an American family's plate.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Go try and buy a 8R19.5 made in the usa. Don't believe you can find 1. I looked when I bought new tires a couple years ago. The Michelins that were on my coach were made in France if I remember right, and now some of their tires are also made in china. Michelins were over double what my Bridgestones were. Bridgestones are made in Japan. If you only buy things made in the usa, you won't be buying much now a days.

Granted, many of the major brand tires are made in China, but at least your dealing with a reputable company.  My Michelins were made in France, a set of Yokohama's on my Subi XV were made in China, under Yokohama's supervision, and the Yokohama's on my wife's Outback were made in Japan.  But if I have a problem with any of them I can go in to a selling dealer and get taken care of.
I too like to buy as much USA made product as possible, but sometimes it's just not possible.  Dosen't mean I have to settle for the cheapest thats made in some other country.
China does produce some decant products.  Both my coffee maker and coffee bean grinder same from there, and have given me good service.  But when I'm running 65-70 mph in my motorhome, towing my Subi, with my wife and possibly my grandkids with me, I don't want to depend on an off branded set of tires.
Check some of the other rv forums and pull up tire blow-outs and tire failures.  A very few involved are major name brand tires, but the majority are the "china bombs". 
Check Consumers Reports.  They don't even list any off brand tires.  Granted, some of the tested tires are made in China, but by major manufacturers.  And, yes, they only tested car and light truck tires, but you can still get and idea of preformance and quality.
Going to get off the soapbox now as you that buy and like the cheapest tire out there made by the China Firecracker Tire Co., well I'm not going to change your minds.
Back to the original poster, do yourself good and spend the xtra bucks for something you can rely on and feel safe with.
Grumpy

Grumpy374 said:
Going to get off the soapbox now as you that buy and like the cheapest tire out there made by the China Firecracker Tire Co., well I'm not going to change your minds.
Grumpy

Funny, the only tire that ever tried to kill me and my boys was a Yokohama. Everyone has their anecdotes.

My only point or offering to the OP was to weigh his usage, budget, and peace of mind coupled with some research and make his or her decision based on that. Internet based conjecture and scare tactics are probably just as effective though.

We can agree to disagree.

92GA said:
If you only buy things made in the usa, you won't be buying much now a days.

I don't necessarily agree. I am having very good results in looking for the Made in the USA label. Like I said though, it does take a little effort and willingness to look. As for your tires, there are exceptions and you do what you got to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom