Why so few LIFEPo4 batteries in RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loic

Dear all,
I have been conducting researches for a project with a European company. They start thinking about developing a LIFEPO4 battery pack which would be used to replace lead acid batteries.

I tried to find more information about this kind of products here in the USA, but I haven't found many companies who offer this kind of product, at least assembled. I found company selling LiFePo4 cells, but you usually need some skills when it comes to connections.

All I can find are LIFEPO4 battery cells with adapters or batteries for bikes/scooters (10 or 20 AH).

It is much more expensive but has more capacity, is much more eco-friendly and has around 2000 charges cycles.

I was wondering why no one seems to be offering it for RV: is it something people would want? Apparently autonomy is not an issue since most of RVs are actually not really often out, would you say it?s true?
Someone did a cost analysis which put LIFEPO4 batteries ahead of classical lead acid ones.

http://www.technomadia.com/2011/11/lithium-update-3-lithium-battery-cost/

I am not trying to sell those batteries, I was just wondering if the extra autonomy they provide is something RV owners do not really need, or if it?s just a cost issue.
I'll be happy to get your comments and insights!

I do not want to appear to advertise for that company so I do not enclose any names.

Loic

Lithiums are super expensive and few RVers are willing to spend that much. Here is one offering, though:
http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/rv.html

One of the issues is that the amp-hour ratings given for Lithium batteries are not "apples-to-apples" comparisons to the industry standard 20 hour AH rate for lead acid batteries, so the numbers cannot be used to compare output vs cost. I can't find any studies that documents how a lithium actually performs in typical RV use..

However, AGM type batteries are in fairly wide use and they have many advantages over flooded cell batteries.

Loic said:
It is much more expensive but has more capacity, is much more eco-friendly and has around 2000 charges cycles.

That statement probably answers your question

Many trailer manufacturers don't even put in a decent deep cycle, let alone a pricey high end LI type. The better ones, though, supply AGMs or golf cart deep cycles and both of those have excellent longevity at a reasonable price.

Wizard46 said:
That statement probably answers your question

Hello Wizard, which part on the statement do you think answer my question?

When it comes to useable Ah, Lifepo4 batteries offer much better yield since you will loose around 20/30% of effective Ah, compared with more than 50% on Lead/GMA batteries.

Given the life expectancy of LifePO batteries, I guess looking at Cost per energy stored during the battery life is lower and charging time is also WAY lower.

I guess it makes it a long term investment since the upfront cost is higher.

I haven't found distributors or OEM offering LifePo4 in the USA, except for marine applications.

Loic said:
Hello Wizard, which part on the statement do you think answer my question?

When it comes to useable Ah, Lifepo4 batteries offer much better yield since you will loose around 20/30% of effective Ah, compared with more than 50% on Lead/GMA batteries.

Given the life expectancy of LifePO batteries, I guess looking at Cost per energy stored during the battery life is lower and charging time is also WAY lower.

I guess it makes it a long term investment since the upfront cost is higher.

I haven't found distributors or OEM offering LifePo4 in the USA, except for marine applications.

The part about higher price, most just build them cheap

Fair enough, seems to be clear  ;) I guess it will become more used when prices will go down!

Loic

Starlight Solar in Yuma, Az will build you a system...http://starlightsolar.com/RV_Lithium_Battery.html

Back
Top Bottom