Fiberglass gel-coat body repair - Cracked rear corner cap on 2004 Trail Lite B+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGood

My 2004 R-Vision Trail Lite 235 B+ RV had a little altercation with a tree next to its parking space, unquestionably attributable to pilot error and deteriorating eyesight.

I think the damaged part is called a rear corner cap and it appears to be a molded fiberglass gel-coat body part which is about 5 feet tall.  It is cracked and may be repairable at this point, but I am concerned that if not repaired, the cracks will lengthen and the whole part will fail.

I am wondering if I should try to attempt to repair the damaged piece, obtain the part and replace it myself, or have a RV body shop do it?  Any idea where this part can be obtained or suggestions for where to start?  Thanks!

Attachments

• Rear Panel & Tree.JPG
    Rear Panel & Tree.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 88
  • Rear View 2.JPG
    Rear View 2.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Side View - Close Up.JPG
    Side View - Close Up.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Side View - With Tree.JPG
    Side View - With Tree.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Rear View 1.JPG
    Rear View 1.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 60
Your corner cap can be fixed,  the sooner the better. You could take it to RV dealer and see if they will do it, look for RV salvage yards that are mentioned in previous post. To do it properly it should be taken off, by the looks from the photos it  can be. It should be braced on the inside before the outside is done.  The structural integrity has been compromised. Doing the outside only will not last as long. Working with fiberglass is not all that difficult, the tricky part will be matching the gel coat color.

That's why I always carry a chainsaw!  Seriously, Do it yourself if you feel you know how or take it to an RV Dlr. or a local boat marina if one is near you. Price may be better.  At any rate  DO IT NOW>

I did the same thing to my rear right cap.  Were you able to fix yours? 

Hi Cmpqn - No, I have not fixed it yet.  I investigated buying an end-cap from Sierra Engineering ([email protected]) but they wanted $1400 (plus S&H) for custom fabrication since they did not have the panel in stock.  I think I may try foaming the inside for structural support and fiberglassing/gel coating the cracks myself.  I may be able to get in through the cut-out for the tailight assembly which is in the middle of the end cap.  Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom