Honda CRV - 2015 Dinghy Towing Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

Just received the 2015 towing guide today and noticed that there is not even a single Honda vehicle listed - not even the CRV which I have heard is a very popular toad.  Is the CRV still towable four down?

I remember hearing somewhere that they are no longer made to be towable with all four wheels on the ground.

I guess I can answer my own question.  Reading the editors column in Motorhome magazine, he mentions that the CR-V can no longer be towed because advances in technology with the use of the continuously variable transmission (CVT) have taken the CRV out of the 4 down toad market.

All Honda automatics are now CVT's none of which are towable.

Looks like the CVT Hondas can't be towed, but the manual transmissions can.  So maybe the Fit is the best option in Hondas now.

We bought at 2014 CR-V in October of last year for the every reason that the 2015s are not 4 down towable. It's really too bad that Honda went that way with such a fan base with the RV communitity. I guess we are not so big to them. We sure see a lot of them in our town and mostly not towed.

I'm sure it was the never ending pressure to improve milage ratings.

City.    Comb.  Hwy

2014 4WD CRV.    22.      25.      30
2015 4WD CRV.    26      28        33

After owning three CRV's since 2002 we will miss them. Plan to keep our 2011 for awhile; maybe they will figure something out.

Jeff said:
....maybe they will figure something out.

Since Honda just invested in the CVT, IMO it seems unlikely they will bring back a conventional automatic transmission anytime soon.  It would be great if they would let the US get the manual transmission versions of some of their vehicles which are sold in other countries.  The problem is that not enough US consumers would buy them and that makes it not worth going through all the emissions testing needed to sell them and all the parts inventory that would be needed to support them.

Back
Top Bottom