Replacing original carpet 1991 Winny chieftain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowarr

Hello,

I just tore out the original carpet and linoleum in my Class A and was wondering if anyone else has tackled this job.  My question is this: I was leaning toward using self stick tile throughout the coach but will be unable to use this around the front seats and engine cover which is rounded.  I am thinking I will have to re-carpet the front section and use the self stick or rolled linoleum throughout the rest of the unit.  The next issue would be covering the side panels and small boxed in areas that were previously carpeted.  Is is possible to use something other than carpet in these areas without it looking weird? 

Any  feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Warren

You have several options.  I'm moving your post to the Remodeling board where our resident flooring expert, Ernie Eckberg, can give you some pointers.

The real trick to all this is getting the floor clean of all dirt and staples. To be done right, it is a slow project. On the doghouse with rounded corners as short nap carpet is best. You can use a vinyl stair nose to cover outside edges of the hard surface. I use contact cement to adhere the vinyl trim

We've been considering getting rid of all the carpeting in our coach as well.  Are there any special issues to consider when you have slide outs?  Our Unit is 37 foot and has 2 slides.  Do they have to be removed?

slides do not need to be removed. make sure that whatever product you choose that the thickness doesn't exceed the height of material you remove

I'd caution against "self stick" tile. Our last mh had them when we bought it and it was already coming up at the corners (mh was five years old at the time). This tile reqiires perfect prep and still allows dirt and water to get between the tiles.

We installed a floating floor that provides a two inch bonded overlap between tiles. Cost was comparable and the job went quickly (we just went from bedroom to the dog house, including slides).

Ernie

vinyl tiles, when they start lifting, allow dust to get under them. The dust it what neutralizes the adhesive, so it won't  stick anymore. And those things love to shrink. I use to install them, Never again

I've been happy with my peel and stick. It's on it's 5th year and still stuck firmly down.

However, it does seem that 3 pieces shrunk! I never knew the stuff could shrink. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how those 3 pieces don't fit right anymore.

But the shrinking you mention, does makes sense now, no idea why only 3 shrunk and the rest are butted up nice and neat.

By the way, I left the carpet up front in the cockpit area and the doghouse area, it seemed like more than I cared to tackle.

I put some gray calk around the "shrunk" tiles and all is good again.

Thanks for the suggestions.  If I use vinyl flooring how do I complete the entire coach without seams?  There are numerous angles to cut out along with going from the living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom without having multiple seams, seems like a recipe for a not so good looking job.  Self stick seemed like the easiest and quickest way to do the job.  Can't I just add extra adhesive to the tiles and floor in order to provide for a better bond?  Also, if any do come up, I should just be able to install another tile in its place.  Just throwing my thoughts at you professionals in hopes of convincing myself of the best route to take.  One more thing... at what temperature do I need to have in order to install the tiles and carpet using adhesive?  Upstate New York won't release its grasp on winter!

Thanks.

Warren

bowarr said:
Thanks for the suggestions.  If I use vinyl flooring how do I complete the entire coach without seams?  There are numerous angles to cut out along with going from the living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom without having multiple seams, seems like a recipe for a not so good looking job.  Self stick seemed like the easiest and quickest way to do the job.  Can't I just add extra adhesive to the tiles and floor in order to provide for a better bond?  Also, if any do come up, I should just be able to install another tile in its place.  Just throwing my thoughts at you professionals in hopes of convincing myself of the best route to take.  One more thing... at what temperature do I need to have in order to install the tiles and carpet using adhesive?  Upstate New York won't release its grasp on winter!

Thanks.

Warren

Construction paper.
Cover the floor with construction paper, cutting pieces to fit the odd angles. Use wide masking tape to hold the pieces together.

When you have the whole floor covered and all the odd bits figured out, roll the paper inward.

Lay the vinyl out on a smooth surface and place the paper on top.

Tape in place so it doesn't move while cutting the vinyl. (don't ask how I know this)

When you cut the vinyl, leave a bit extra around the edges (maybe 1/8" ~ 1/4") You can trim this to fit when you install it.

Do a test laydown (without glue). Then when you have it looking good use the adhesive.

Even if you buy extra tile squares from the same lot and store them, when you need to replace a square, they will not match the used tiles already on the floor.

The tile I mentioned is Allure and it comes in approximately one by two ft tiles with overlapping edges. They caution not to subject it to extreme temperatures, but we did and had no proboems.

Ernie

SRS713,
Thanks for the insight and trick to installing vinyl! 

Ernie n Tara,
I have researched the web about Allure and noticed many RV'ers have used it and recommend it.  How is the cost compared to other applications?  I also need to apply something along the sides of the stairs since it was originally covered with carpet.  Is is feasible to use Allure with some adhesive in these vertical locations, or do they make another material for the steps area and/ or boxed in areas that hide wires or water lines from sight? 

Thanks!

Warren

Hi,

Allure is slightly more expensive that the chespest, but this is not the place to save a few dollars. It's just too much work to risk it. I used ut in the step well but it would depend on the color you pick. As I recall we used doublesided tape on the side ofthe wheel well. That is sufficient with the metal strips retaining the tile at the top. We used 1/4 round strips at wall bases and the ends of the steps to allow the floating floor to move.

Note that we floated the tile but I believe the other Ernie here glues it down. He certainly knows more about flooring than I do!

Ernie

I'm leaning toward the Allure.  I would use a floating floor method but would need to cut holes for the couch and chair mount bolts.  So maybe it wouldn't be a pure floating floor. Next, I need to check out Home Depot and see what it actually looks and feels like. 
Concerning the steps... do they make a material to cover the steps, such as a plastic rubber type material with treads that anyone has used? 
The only other issues I face are covering the boxed areas that hide wires and water lines in a couple locations.  Also the bathroom has a small rounded hump located on the floor near the toilet that is still currently covered with carpet... seems there was two layers of carpet on this section.  Are there any suggestions on how to make these areas work using Allure vinyl? Maybe a material that simulates wood but is flexible??  I can take a picture if it would help spur any suggestions.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Warren

carpet hides a multitude of sins. lots of the manufacturers of the older coaches had no other flooring alternatives than carpet. pull all the old carpet off and let your brain go wild- most of all this installation is thinking about what looks best in your coach

I just last month, tore out the carpeting ( left cab and doghouse) in my class C and replaced with Allure Traffic Master Vinyl Plank Flooring ( 1.79 sqft at HD) yes, the key is a VERY clean floor of all dust and debris.. It is super easy to use, score with utility knife and snaps right off.. check out You tube on this...  Gives a nice tight fit on seams. TIP: don't put the two stickies together until it's where you want it.
I love the look!!

Ene,

Thanks for the insight on using Allure!
I just ordered some Allure from HD yesterday!  I went with the "African Wood Dark" color which cost $2.09 a Sq Ft... but it looks like it will be a nice looking floor.  I bought some carpet at OLLIES for $70 to re-due the doghouse and front cab section.  I just need to get the weather to warm up a bit first before I install anything!

Back
Top Bottom