Newbies just bought a Lance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNLRobinson

Hello everyone,

My name is Lori-Anne and my husband is Steve. We just purchased a 2003 Lance 1130 (no slides) from a dealer near us. We have been looking for a couple of years for a Lance TC that was within our price range. Even though we are in our 50s, we are newly weds and money is pretty tight. We feel we got a pretty good deal on this camper at $7900 and are really excited to have it. We will be picking it up in a week to 10 days. The dealer is still detailing it and repairing a few minor items.

We are currently trying to prepare our truck, a Chevy 3500 Quad Cab (not a dually) 4X4 to haul this thing. We purchased new shocks as well as running boards, so I can get in and out. I have some disabilities. We made sure they were short enough not to interfere with any tie down system we purchase. We found a Billis rear tie down kit (similar to Torklift, only cheaper) and purchased that. They don't have the exact model for the front of our truck and hubby is thinking of making his own.

While he is working on prepping the truck, I am working on thinking of all the little things we might need but the dealer won't think to tell us and we won't think of until there is a problem and we don't have it.

I wondered if there is a list somewhere for newbies for recommended things to have. For example... I know we need several different colors (types) of water hoses. But I am not sure what all we need other than one for potable water that we don't use for anything else.

Someone told me to look into getting a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter just in case...

Do you guys have any suggestions for things - particular to RV camping - that would be helpful for us to know we might need. Keep in mind that we were tent campers and really have no clue.

Thank you so much for all the information available on these pages. 

Regards,

Welcome aboard! It can all seem pretty confusing at first, but you'll get there

As to the water hose, you don't need several colors - just two. Your fresh water hose should be rated for drinking water; they're usually white. Any other color will work for draining gray water and rinsing out your sewer hose. The important thing is to not mix them up.

There are some checklist and other articles in the Library section of the forum that you'll probably find useful.

Seems to be a great price based on a quick search on the net. I don't know much about truck campers but as the Happy Wanderer stated below white for potable water and any garden hose for other purposes. Keep them stored separately and a good idea is to screw the female end to the male to keep contaminants out. Depending on how many amps your camper is rated for will determine if you need a 50amp adapter. Most campsites have 30 amp outlets. Cable wire if you plan on watching TV, water pressure regulator, voltage meter to make sure you are within range so as not to fry your electrical system. Check out the forums and you will be surprised of all of things you may or may not need.

Just start camping with a pen and pad of paper. The list will present itself as time goes on. Spend a weekend away and you will have a wish list started by the end of the weekend. If you are already used to tent camping, then there is probably nothing that will be earth shattering if you don't have it with you the first trip out.

Different folks travel with different accouterments. Naturally you want to make sure you have all the hook-up connections sorted out and the dealer should help you double check this.

You could fill the entire camper with "might needs..." but some folks need a lot of extras and some don't.

I did see a nifty extra recently... some pick up campers have difficult steps to enter the camper. This couple had put a folding cargo carrier on a hitch behind their truck camper, so they had a mini porch to utilize for entering the camper. Of course if you are parking the camper and removing the truck for driving, this might not work so well.

Most truck campers I see travel with outdoor accouterments like a jumbo table cloth for the picnic table and comfy folding chairs.

First let me thank the mods for moving my thread. I got started with an intro and got carried away. :D

Then let me say thanks so much the replies. I am already making a list and checking out the library and much of the forums. This is a great place and you folks are wonderful to help us out.

Regards,

Lori-Anne

One of the tried and true methods of making your list is to go "camping" in your driveway.  When you realize what you forgot, you can run in the house and get it. This won't work for technical gear, but for day-to-day living items, it is sure-fire.

Rear air bags (individual inflation control, with bags isolated from one another) (isolation reduces sway)
Rear sway bar. (Hellwig Big Wing if you need to buy one)
Recommend Ranch 9000 adjustable shocks.
Frame mounted tie downs.
10 ply tires (and the stiffer the sidewalls the better) at proper inflation.

I run a 92 Lance 11.3 on an 06 Dodge 2500 4x w/Cummins and 6 speed manual.
I'm usually pulling a lightweight boat/trailer when the camper is loaded.
I don't know the camper  & boat are loaded except on REALLY twisty roads.

Welcome to our club SNL,  the Truck Camper is the most versatile of all RV's!  Great choice.
I have the Firestone Air Bag rear suspension and it is fabulous.  I load up my rig and it still rides same height.

Camping in the driveway is a great suggestion and lots of great responses for you as above..
I am on my second TC in as many years and my suggestions are based on some almost comical
mistakes I made in the first few weeks with my first TC.

My first Lance was a 1994 and had no safety on the fridge door.  While turning through an intersection
I heard a calamity in the back and found the contents of my fridge all over the floor.  A plastic bottle
of Mrs. Butterworth exploded and that was not a fun cleanup..  Another time books went flying.
I now have fridge shelf bars on every shelf and across the freezer door just in case ::: http://www.organizeit.com/rv-cupboard-bar.asp

I also used wide Velcro ties on any closets or doors that may be a problem...  TC's tend to get rocking back and forth sometimes and
this can shake things up...  There are lots of ways to store breakable cups or glasses by fabricating & re-purposing boxes etc.
Last tip..  remember to look up at low hanging trees etc to be sure you have clearance in lots etc..  you are a lot taller now
and always "Limo" it when turning..  Have fun and be safe!

DesertMax said:
Welcome to our club SNL,  the Truck Camper is the most versatile of all RV's!  Great choice.
I have the Firestone Air Bag rear suspension and it is fabulous.  I load up my rig and it still rides same height.

Camping in the driveway is a great suggestion and lots of great responses for you as above..
I am on my second TC in as many years and my suggestions are based on some almost comical
mistakes I made in the first few weeks with my first TC.

My first Lance was a 1994 and had no safety on the fridge door.  While turning through an intersection
I heard a calamity in the back and found the contents of my fridge all over the floor.  A plastic bottle
of Mrs. Butterworth exploded and that was not a fun cleanup..  Another time books went flying.
I now have fridge shelf bars on every shelf and across the freezer door just in case ::: http://www.organizeit.com/rv-cupboard-bar.asp

I also used wide Velcro ties on any closets or doors that may be a problem...  TC's tend to get rocking back and forth sometimes and
this can shake things up...  There are lots of ways to store breakable cups or glasses by fabricating & re-purposing boxes etc.
Last tip..  remember to look up at low hanging trees etc to be sure you have clearance in lots etc..  you are a lot taller now
and always "Limo" it when turning..  Have fun and be safe!

Don't know if you realize it Desert Max, but this post is over a year old. Hopefully they're out having a ball like the rest of us.

You will be overweight, but most trucks with campers are. Looks like you will be pushing 4000lbs. A rear anti-sway bar is almost a necessity, Tork Lift stable Loads will work well with the airbags.
Learn about power management of your 12 volt systems, especially if you don't camp in full service campgrounds.
If you stay in non electric campgrounds, how will you charge your batteries, do you have a built in generator or a portable?
Consider replacing the outdated light bulbs with LED. My camper came with about 1/2 LED. I replaced the other half which were 19 watt with 2.68 watt LED, gave me more light with a huge energy saving.
Practice loading and unloading the camper, hope you have electric jacks.
Learn to take care of your batteries, what type of convertor does the camper have. Older converters usually lack the correct charging profiles of the newer ones.
Most important, just have fun, if you are like me, you will make a lot of mistakes, but you learn quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom