2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39s. Fuel gauge not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my49packard

I wonder if you can help me with me problem on my 24 volt system concerning the fuel gauge and and or sensor.

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39s motorhome diesel pusher. I drove to the fuel station, about 10 miles away from our resort, and filled it up 2 weeks ago. The fuel gauge read full after that time.
    I then drove it back to the resort and did not start it up again until yesterday only to find that the fuel gauge was not working.
  It is reading empty, I know that?s incorrect because we have not driven it that far, just 10 miles since fueling it up.

What I do notice is that when I turn on the ignition the fuel gauge needle does wiggle a little but that?s it.
I am thinking a few things, the gauge could be broken, or the fuel sensor is not working properly, or maybe there is a fuse someplace that's blown. I checked all the fuses on the 24 volt system that I could find and they are ok.
Can you possibly give me any information on this problem?
  My wife and I are going on a road trip in 3 weeks ( on April 15 ) and I want to get this taken care of asap.
Anything you can help me with on this problem I would appreciate it very much.
I am not as educated in the world of electronics as some folks are but I did work as an HVAC tech for almost 40 years and have a fair understanding of wiring schematics and such. Please, if anyone can help me in any way I would appreciate it
very much.  Thank you David A, Packard

First of all, it's not a 24 volt system. Nothing in your Discovery or its Freightliner XC chassis runs on 24v (it's all 12v).

The fuel gauge comes with the chassis from Freigtliner, so a call to FCCC Customer Service with your VIN number will get you some tech help specific to your chassis.  1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)

Generally a fuel gauge is either the sending unit (in the tank), a wire from there to the dash area, or the gauge itself in the cluster. A wire is the most common problem, I think.  There may also be an electronic controller for the dash gauge functions that could be at fault. The nice folks at FCCC can advise on that.

Thank you Gary,
I looked under the coach at the 90 gallon tank and I think if it's the sending unit that means the tank has to be removed by a service company and then the sending unit replaced. I hope it's not that.
  I will check the wire from the gauge to on the cluster. I would think there would be a reading on the wire if I checked it with a meter.
Thanks for the heads up on my thinking 24 volts instead of 12. I have a lot to learn. I will get back to you and let you know the results of everything. Thanks again for the heads up.  Dave

Most common is a bad fuse.  If you are handy, check the ohms reading in the input to the gauge.  Can be the sender, can be the gauge, can be a ground off the gauge. 

Back
Top Bottom