Where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OutdoorFT

We got passed the first hurdle. We decided to change our lifestyle and head into the world of RVing!

Now what? Some much to do, where to start? Do we start searching for an RV now? If so, new or used? What brand/models are best?

It is overwhelming now and just need to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions would be helpful!

You can always go to an RV show and look at what the dealers offer new.. Then from what you see there you can "Assemble" your "Dream" RV

Things like do you want a bath and a half (2 holes, no waiting,,,Think about the effect of strange water on your digestive system)

Slides (Yes, no, how many)

Class A,B,C,TT,5er  (I like the A/C with towed myself).

And more

From there you can shop both new and used.

IF I can help it, I'd prefer not have to get a CDL just to drive it.

We like the concept of C's, but not sure if that'll be enough for us. Thank you John.

OutdoorFT said:
IF I can help it, I'd prefer not have to get a CDL just to drive it.

You will not need a CDL to drive any RV for personal use.  You may need a higher class of license if the RV exceeds a certain weight, depending on the state of registration, but never a CDL.

Most states have a 26,000 weight to require an upgraded license.  The big units (Monaco, etc) are big enough to require special licensing, but Winnebago A's up to about 35' are generally light enough not to need one (example only-other similar brands as well). 

So the next question is how long you plan to stay in the unit at any one time.  Weekender, couple of weeks, few months, full-time.  Longer stays, more space just for sanity sake and livability.  We use ours for multi-week long trips, went with a 31' C with a slide.  Just like a C than an A (had both).  Alternately, a heavy duty pickup and a 5th wheel makes a good long-term living unit as well.  Some of these 5th wheel units rival the big A class units in livability.

New vs used.  You buy new, you are upside down as soon as you sign the papers. Having seen what is on the consignment lots, I have seen sellers being tens of thousands to the table to unload a large A.  If comfortable handling repairs that may crop up, recommend a used unit in good condition.  Besides if you have buyers remorse in a couple of years, you aren't looking at a financial albatross hanging around your neck.

Finally, don't bite off more than you can chew financially, and that means several years down the line as well.  Do you want a note you can pay off in  under 5 years, or face a 20 year note. 

I areee, go to the new unit dealers and check out RV shows in your area.  Then don't be afraid to look on Craigslist or RV Trader. 

Good luck

Thanks for the replies Ned and Rstrahan.

I will be a full timer. It is unfortunate as I got my 08 Dakota in 2010 and next year it will be paid off. But, no way it can haul a big enough trailer for our needs. So, I will mostly just go with a Class C instead of having to get another truck plus a trailer.

I don't have a problem buying used, especially since I (hopefully) wouldn't have to deal with a car salesman in a private deal.

As for finances, I'm quite the OCD about being frugal. I can live off very little if I had to and still be happy.

Again, I appreciate the responses. I guess it's time to look around for RV's to check out that are within my budget.

I would not recommend a Class C for fultiming. Generally speaking, they have too little weight carrying capacity and storage, inside or out. Even if a 28-32 foot coach is big enough for you, an A has more useful space for living and storage. Remember, everything you have must go with you.

If you get a coach, you will almost surely want a car to tow behind it. Is the Dakota a 4WD? If so, it can be towed easily. If not, you might end up swapping vehicles anyway.

We have been researching this for a year and have decided upon an A.  Don't see living full time in a C.  The least you should consider is the new "Class A at a Class C price".  This would be the Forest River- 25 or 30DS; Fleetwood Storm - 26P or Flair26D; Coachman 29SB; Winnebago Brave - 31C; Itasca - Tribute 26A.  There are more to see in the April issue of Motor Home magazine, which has a very comprehensive article.  We were fortunate at the time we decided to get really serious about getting a rv to go to the Hershey RV show in Hershey, PA in September.  Every conceivable unit is there, with plenty of dealers and factory reps to discuss the pros and cons of the various units.  You should also look for local shows.  A great many people suggest that you buy used, therefore you don't take the first year's depreciation hit, and the "bugs" have been addressed and fixed.  Above all, find a floor plan that works for you, then build a coach around it.  Good luck. 

Gary RV Roamer said:
I would not recommend a Class C for fultiming. Generally speaking, they have too little weight carrying capacity and storage, inside or out. Even if a 28-32 foot coach is big enough for you, an A has more useful space for living and storage. Remember, everything you have must go with you.

If you get a coach, you will almost surely want a car to tow behind it. Is the Dakota a 4WD? If so, it can be towed easily. If not, you might end up swapping vehicles anyway.
Thanks for the reply Gary. Yes, my Dakota is 4wd.
I will take that into consideration when looking at RV's. Thanks again.

1PlasticMan1 said:
We have been researching this for a year and have decided upon an A.  Don't see living full time in a C.  The least you should consider is the new "Class A at a Class C price".  This would be the Forest River- 25 or 30DS; Fleetwood Storm - 26P or Flair26D; Coachman 29SB; Winnebago Brave - 31C; Itasca - Tribute 26A.  There are more to see in the April issue of Motor Home magazine, which has a very comprehensive article.  We were fortunate at the time we decided to get really serious about getting a rv to go to the Hershey RV show in Hershey, PA in September.  Every conceivable unit is there, with plenty of dealers and factory reps to discuss the pros and cons of the various units.  You should also look for local shows.  A great many people suggest that you buy used, therefore you don't take the first year's depreciation hit, and the "bugs" have been addressed and fixed.  Above all, find a floor plan that works for you, then build a coach around it.  Good luck.
Thank you for the reply.

I will definitely look at those models.

I know you said C's arent suitable for full timing, but I came across the Jayco Greyhawk. It is a C and quite spacious. Any thoughts on those?

I am still doing research on the A's listed above, was just curious on that model, as I grew up camping in Jayco pop ups.

Personally... I would suggest a trailer (TT or 5th) for full timing. This way there is no engine and transmission to maintain while you living in the RV. Most don't move very much while full timing. The only thing on a trailer there is to really worry about is the tires and bearings. Like my old Dodge Jamboree took on quite a bit of mouse damage from thee mice building homes on the engine and chewing on wiring. Like my current TT RV now is sealed up tight now and had zero mice problems for the last 2 years.

Mopar1973Man said:
Personally... I would suggest a trailer (TT or 5th) for full timing. This way there is no engine and transmission to maintain while you living in the RV. Most don't move very much while full timing. The only thing on a trailer there is to really worry about is the tires and bearings. Like my old Dodge Jamboree took on quite a bit of mouse damage from thee mice building homes on the engine and chewing on wiring. Like my current TT RV now is sealed up tight now and had zero mice problems for the last 2 years.
Thanks for the reply.

I may need to upgrade to a bigger truck as my current truck wont be able to haul a big one.

As for TT's, do you have any recommendations for fulltiming? Thanks Mopar.

At this point, I would suggest that you try and rent the Greyhawk or similar unit for a week or so.  That should help you decide which way you want to go.  The TT is a great idea also, lot less money, and you don't have to tow another vehicle.  You might try to rent a TT also.  Know this is an added expense, but what you will be investing in is worth it.  If you buy a C or TT, and decide after a month or so, it is not for you, it will cost you big time to get rid of it for another unit.

1PlasticMan1 said:
At this point, I would suggest that you try and rent the Greyhawk or similar unit for a week or so.  That should help you decide which way you want to go.  The TT is a great idea also, lot less money, and you don't have to tow another vehicle.  You might try to rent a TT also.  Know this is an added expense, but what you will be investing in is worth it.  If you buy a C or TT, and decide after a month or so, it is not for you, it will cost you big time to get rid of it for another unit.
I have lived in a TT for weeks at a time (camping), so I won't have to worry about that. I may want to look into renting a C, though. Thanks for the reply!

So many decisions. This is gonna be harder than I thought!

If it were me, I would set a budget,then start looking at every option I can find within that budget.

Keep a list, including pictures if you can, with the pros and cons of each unit.
Consider how much traveling you intend to do, what you intend to carry, how many will be sleeping, pets,etc etc.
Think about what you will be doing when parked. Will you be sightseeing, or staying around the campground most of the time?
Will you be spending a lot of time inside if weather is bad?
Renting an RV or two for comparison would also be good idea.

After looking at dozen or two units,I think you will start to get a feel of what will work best for you

I'm not rich in any sense of the term, but I was curious on what price level to start looking at. I cant afford the best of the best, but seeing 2001 Class A's for 10k seems a little suspicious.

OutdoorFT said:
I know you said C's arent suitable for full timing, but I came across the Jayco Greyhawk. It is a C and quite spacious. Any thoughts on those?

I am still doing research on the A's listed above, was just curious on that model, as I grew up camping in Jayco pop ups.

The Jayco Greyhawk was on my short list of RVs when I purchased our current Winnebago Aspect 30J. The Jayco Greyhawk is a good entry level motor home IMO. I chose to go with Winnebago because it was a class above the Jayco, like I said, the Jayco Greyhawk is a great entry level coach.

I am at best a weekend warrior, and after a couple of weeks the closeness you find in a Class C begins to wear on me. I previously had a Class A motor home and it was much more suitable to long term living, given the additional living and storage space/capability. 

I have to agree with those who would recommend against a Class C for full time living, unless it is in the Super C category, which get pricey. I enjoy my Class C but I would not want to live in it full time.

OutdoorFT said:
Thanks for the reply.

I may need to upgrade to a bigger truck as my current truck wont be able to haul a big one.

As for TT's, do you have any recommendations for fulltiming? Thanks Mopar.

Basically find a trailer (TT or 5th) that fits your needs then find a tow vehicle that fits thee trailer. Like myself I already had a awesome tow vehicle so I found a travel trailer that fit my needs. But I'm a true RV'er where I hitch up and go out for the weekend. (Not a full timer).

Mopar1973Man said:
Most don't move very much while full timing.

Not sure I agree with this statement. Many full-time RV's are on the move all the time! They may stay at one place for a week or two, but then they move on to the next part of the country to check it out. Not my bag, but that's me. Have done it before and got the t-shirt. Doesn't fit.

Sounds to me like you need to decide what kind of camping you and your family is the most comfortable with. Which do you all have the most fun? Where do all of you have the most smiles and talk about for days after?
You also sound very financially responsible. Decide as a family on what will work for you. Before you go into debt with something you're not ready for. You can always make a step up later.

Back
Top Bottom