Where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
denmarc said:
Sounds to me like you need to decide what kind of camping you and your family is the most comfortable with. Which do you all have the most fun? Where do all of you have the most smiles and talk about for days after?
You also sound very financially responsible. Decide as a family on what will work for you. Before you go into debt with something you're not ready for. You can always make a step up later.
We love campgrounds, but I think fulltime, those would get annoying. We would probably spend a majority of our time at one, but occasionally go off the beaten path to something with less people or no one at all.

I am, surprisingly at age 24, very good with money management. Thanks for the reply!

We had this problem in the beginning but settled on a 5er as what we wanted to full time in (part time as we have a sticks and bricks). We'll go out for months at a time in heat and cold, we want to ski downhill for a entire winter.  Find whatever you want based on the floorplan and insulation.  We've been to South Dakota in summer when it's a 100 degrees and lived in our back yard in winter while building our house.  Based on those parameters insulation is job one with floorplan second. Class A, B, C, or TT OR 5ER they are personal choices to fit your mode of travel. I like a fiver because you service a truck that any dealer or independent garage can fix. Yes we've fixed both A's and C's as an independent shop but a pickup even a 3500HD is a regular service for us. Good luck whatever you pick.

Just curious, is there a reason you're considering an RV, to full-time in an RV park, rather than a Mobile or Manufactured home in in a Mobile Home Park?  They are generally cheaper than a stick built house, and could even be less expensive than an RV to maintain, especially when you intend to live in it, rather than travel in it.

Jere and Laur said:
We had this problem in the beginning but settled on a 5er as what we wanted to full time in (part time as we have a sticks and bricks). We'll go out for months at a time in heat and cold, we want to ski downhill for a entire winter.  Find whatever you want based on the floorplan and insulation.  We've been to South Dakota in summer when it's a 100 degrees and lived in our back yard in winter while building our house.  Based on those parameters insulation is job one with floorplan second. Class A, B, C, or TT OR 5ER they are personal choices to fit your mode of travel. I like a fiver because you service a truck that any dealer or independent garage can fix. Yes we've fixed both A's and C's as an independent shop but a pickup even a 3500HD is a regular service for us. Good luck whatever you pick.
Thanks for the info!

rebelsun said:
Just curious, is there a reason you're considering an RV, to full-time in an RV park, rather than a Mobile or Manufactured home in in a Mobile Home Park?  They are generally cheaper than a stick built house, and could even be less expensive than an RV to maintain, especially when you intend to live in it, rather than travel in it.
Just so we are able to move without packing everything up each time. We don't like it here in NY and want to see what else is out there, without being forced to settle for only one location.

One big thing I'd like help with is permanent address (drivers license). Also, registration. Once I'm out of NY, I would prefer not to pay money to them in any way.

What is the best way to get a drivers license for another state (will be the one we visit most often), as well as registration change for RV?

OutdoorFT said:
One big thing I'd like help with is permanent address (drivers license). Also, registration. Once I'm out of NY, I would prefer not to pay money to them in any way.

What is the best way to get a drivers license for another state (will be the one we visit most often), as well as registration change for RV?

I am sure you'll have to establish residency and/or domicile status in whatever State you choose in order to be granted a driver's license. Each State has different requirements more or less.

Look at the escapees club. You can establish residency in Texas, for example, and have an address that will forward mail on request. I doubt you can get a DL without visiting dmv in any state.

Ernie

You said "we" so I assume that means you will travel with at least one other person.  That, and the fact, that you prefer to stay in one place a lot of time, will make a big difference in what you buy and what you are happy with.

I am alone and very happy full-timing in a Class C (I have more storage than I need) without a towed vehicle, but I might feel differently if I had to travel with another person or stayed in one place for a long time.  My style is to keep on the move--2-10 nights in one state park and then move onto another one.

The important point is that everyone had their own style and their own life situation, so take any advice you get with that in mind.  You need to buy what will work for you and not what works for anyone else on this forum.

I appreciate all the replies.

Now, I just don't know much about the fresh/grey/black tanks and was curious a good source to read up on how to deal with those. Other than picking out an RV, this is a big hurdle that needs to be done. Thanks.

OutdoorFT said:
I appreciate all the replies.

Now, I just don't know much about the fresh/grey/black tanks and was curious a good source to read up on how to deal with those. Other than picking out an RV, this is a big hurdle that needs to be done. Thanks.

Sanitize the fresh water tank yearly. There is a article here in the library.

As for the black and grey tanks. I just drain, fill them again with fresh water and dump. No chemical, no special toilet paper. Being I dump the tanks right here in the septic tank of the home it won't matter. But I typically store the RV with the knife valves OPEN to allow the tanks to naturally air dry an this takes care of two things. One is the tank sensors work next time I take it out this is because the tanks are not full of condensation screw the sensors up. Second there is no smells. Since everything had dried out the smell of wet some thing in the tanks doesn't exist. Even if I store through the winter I can blow the p-traps out and there is no smell. So pink anti-freeze is not required for the most part the only place I use just a small amount (1-2 ozs) is in the toilet to bowl seal wet.

Thanks for the response, Mopar. Very helpful.

Another question to toss around.

Washer/Dryer. What are some methods? Wonderwash seems to be popular. I'm tired of spending $3 a load on our apartment washer/dryer when you barely get anything in there. What is a good way for washing/drying clothes in an RV?

The same way you do now, by buying a small washer dryer but.... the start up costs are high with the purchase of a small machine like (for example) a Splendide. There are other suitable brands of machines available. The only other way is to use laundromats in campgrounds that have them, but wait.... that is exactly what you are doing now!!

Well, I've been doing research, looking at floor plans and all the fun stuff. More questions.

How old is too old when looking for a TT or a Class A?

Consider this... I bought my 2000 Jayco in 2010. Now its 2015 and still in good condition.  If you going to nit pick about faded body stickers and windows covers. Or maybe the carpeting isn't fluffy anymore. Then it would be OK condition but still there is no roof leaks and everything works yet. Just depends on how picky you are as a RV owner. Mine get hauled out to the forest of Idaho and setup as a portable home for few days. Not a RV park and full hook ups.

Mopar1973Man said:
Consider this... I bought my 2000 Jayco in 2010. Now its 2015 and still in good condition.  If you going to nit pick about faded body stickers and windows covers. Or maybe the carpeting isn't fluffy anymore. Then it would be OK condition but still there is no roof leaks and everything works yet. Just depends on how picky you are as a RV owner. Mine get hauled out to the forest of Idaho and setup as a portable home for few days. Not a RV park and full hook ups.
Not really worried about looks, but structurally. Wasn't sure how long they can hold up before they begin to weaken and are more prone to leaks etc.

Structure is mostly not an issue, but leaks are something that are going to happen and you need to be on your guard against them. Any RV twists and vibrates a lot as it moves and joints "work". That's why the seams are caulked - it allows for some movement without cracking &  leaking. Eventually, though, something is going to open up a bit, so you need to watch proactively for signs of joint/caulk issues, plus watching the inside for hints of water intrusion so it can be stopped before damage occurs.

We've had 5 actual leaks that I can recall in this 11 year old rig and none of them caused any real damage. I fix the leaks as soon as they occur and vent/dry the affected area as well as possible, and that's the end of it.

This may be a silly question, but could be for PT or FTers. When packing up food, even with limited space. Does anyone use Costco/Sams/etc for some food supplies? Not talking meats or anything, but boxed/canned goods for example.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom