Where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OutdoorFT said:
Thanks.  Thats what I thought, but I figured others were allowed to use as per needed.

Maybe I should ask this in the motorhomes area, but I'm looking at Class A's in my price range. Any certain models to stay away from? I got a list of newer ones but out of my price range. Thanks.

Food for though on the motorhome. Since I've own a class c motorhome back in the day I understand a few limitations. Thing is my little Jamboree didn't have the muscle to tow a toad. So if you left to go anywhere with it you had to pack up camp and all the interior before you leave. This is one of the reason I gave up the motorhome and went to a travel trailer because you could detach the house and use the truck to do any travel once you made camp.

Mopar1973Man said:
Food for though on the motorhome. Since I've own a class c motorhome back in the day I understand a few limitations. Thing is my little Jamboree didn't have the muscle to tow a toad. So if you left to go anywhere with it you had to pack up camp and all the interior before you leave. This is one of the reason I gave up the motorhome and went to a travel trailer because you could detach the house and use the truck to do any travel once you made camp.
Great point. I still think about ditching my Dakota to upgrade to a larger truck to haul a large 5th wheel or TT.

I think I'd be more comfortable navigating a trailer than operating a bus sized vehicle (have about 10 hours behind CDL sized vehicles). However, I'm looking to fit 2 adults and 4 cats (unfortunately I cannot let them go). So, I'm looking at sizes in comparison with prices. Since my Dakota is a 2008 and low mileage (almost 29,000), still has some good value to be had to upgrade to a truck capable of hauling something compatible for us.

I do appreciate all of your help, it has helped me learn.

Well, Future Fulltimer, it seems like you need to settle first on what type of RV will best suit your needs as a fulltimer.  Quite a few people in the RV Forum have started fulltiming with some type of trailer and eventually moved up to a motorhome.  Others go the opposite direction but it's usually after their traveling days start to be fewer.  Others start with one or the other type and stick with that even when upgrading.  It seems to me that people who like to travel a lot tend to like motorhomes and those who like staying in one place for weeks or months tend to like trailers.  I call these two types "travelers" or "parkers."  Which are you and your travel companion?  Many fulltimers prefer a larger motorhome towing a small car behind.  I can tell you that most motorhomers want a car not only for ease of sightseeing and shopping but to occasionally get some "alone time" whether it's to go to a beauty shop or the barber shop.  Also, you've been talking about your truck.  Here's something else to ponder.  Having a four-wheel drive vehicle can be a lot of fun.  You don't have to be a heavy-duty off-roader to have fun, but a 4WD car allows you to go places that you can't go to in a sedan.  Our first toad was a cute little Geo Tracker and we had a lot of fun exploring places with it where you couldn't take either a regular truck or a sedan.  If you like to explore out-of-the-way places, you might want to consider how you can do it best.

ArdraF

I wouldn't be concerned about the tanks until you start zeroing in on which RV is best suited to your needs and budget. The tanks are not a big issue to deal with. The fresh tank gets filled with drinkable water as needed, and the grey/black tanks get emptied in a suitable sewer connection when they near capacity. Most campgrounds have water fill and waste dump facilities either at each site or a central location, and will also usually allow non-guests to dump for a modest fee. The actual filling and dumping operations are pretty simple, but the specifics vary a bit with each RV.

Nice trucks  :D

Quick question on the "taxes" thing. Is it similar to renting an apartment? As in, I only file my W2's (if working). No paying to "the man"?

I have owned everything from a tent to a class A RV.

From my prospective ( And that is all it is ) The class A is the only way to go.

Plenty of space for living and storage.

Also can tow a lot more then a class C.

And from my experience, Mileage isn't a factor because they use about the same.

I have never lived full time in any of mine, But if i were to, I would insist on a class A.

JMO.

Nice yard for your toys Mike. If you had a yard that big and green here in San Diego, you'd be sent to State Prison for using too much water. That's AFTER you filed for bankruptsy because our water rates are so high. I'm envious. :mad:

Kev

Not to hijack...

Kevin Means said:
Nice yard for your toys Mike. If you had a yard that big and green here in San Diego, you'd be sent to State Prison for using too much water. That's AFTER you filed for bankruptsy because our water rates are so high. I'm envious. :mad:

Kev

But... As for water I get it from a creek a quarter mile up the mountain. This year snow pack is so low that the picture below is good high run off. Right now it looking like it does in August.  :eek:

Attachments

• water supply.jpg
    water supply.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 32
Mopar1973Man said:
Not to hijack...

But... As for water I get it from a creek a quarter mile up the mountain. This year snow pack is so low that the picture below is good high run off. Right now it looking like it does in August.  :eek:
Yeah, I've got a lot of family up in your neck of the woods (which is why we're headed up there) and they've been telling me the same thing this year.

Kev

So I've done quite a bit of thinking (lincoln) and I have decided on a towable. Main reason being vehicle maintenance/no specialty shops for an oil change.

I currently have a pickup truck, but will have to upgrade it (which I've come to the conclusion is for the better). I have yet to decide on 5th wheel/TT, but had a few questions on 5th wheel installation.

I understand that you have to drill into the bed to secure it, but would this have a negative impact on price while selling in the future if the need arise? Also, if the truck I picked didn't have it already in place, what types of places would do it? I'm not good enough with tools to do it myself (seen a couple installation videos).

Thanks.

We are hoping to be full time by the end of this year. We need to trade out F250 in on a larger truck and when we look I get excited if it has the holes or the 5er hitch already in it, so that doesn't matter.
Lots of places that sells the trailers will have someone there that does it or can refer you to a place.
We are going with a Ram 3500 and a toyhauler (thinking the cyclone 4114).
Our problem right now is setting up a new domicile. We were all set to go with Americas Mailbox in SD, but with the health insurance law (don't get me started on that), we are now planning on Texas. We are not Medicare age and wont be for 10 yrs.
Even though the kids and grandkids are here, we want out of California.

OutdoorFT said:
So I've done quite a bit of thinking (lincoln) and I have decided on a towable. Main reason being vehicle maintenance/no specialty shops for an oil change.

I currently have a pickup truck, but will have to upgrade it (which I've come to the conclusion is for the better). I have yet to decide on 5th wheel/TT, but had a few questions on 5th wheel installation.

I understand that you have to drill into the bed to secure it, but would this have a negative impact on price while selling in the future if the need arise? Also, if the truck I picked didn't have it already in place, what types of places would do it? I'm not good enough with tools to do it myself (seen a couple installation videos).

Thanks.

Also with 5th wheel you lose the ability for storage or hauling in the bed of truck securely. Like in my case I can load the ATV in the back of the truck and hitch up a travel trailer and go out to the woods camping with my ATV without needing to tow double's. Or another case I like to do is plan large shopping ventures in the big city of Boise, ID and camp out in Emmett, ID and keep the canopy on the bed now I have secure place to goods that spent the day shopping for. With a 5th wheel hitch you lose this ability. The gain for 5th wheel is the stability of towing the tailer is better. But travel trailers aren't bad really either.

OutdoorFT said:
I understand that you have to drill into the bed to secure it, but would this have a negative impact on price while selling in the future if the need arise?
Thanks.

A simple repair would be to install carriage bolts in the holes left when removing the hitch,  ;D  Shouldn't be too unsightly if at all!  :-\

Thanks for the replies.

Mopar, I see you have a 2002, which I dont believe have built in brake controllers. How about do I get started on those?

Back
Top Bottom