Which Manufacterer??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm117

Hello Everyone!

My boyfriend and I are about to close on our home and we plan to purchase an RV for full-time living. We will be staying local and driving it minimally so we do not think Diesel is necessary. We fell in love with a Thor Miramar 34.1, but I have been doing further searches to try to figure out what the best manufacturers are.
We live in New York, so the winters are very cold. The other ones I am interested in hearing thoughts on are the Newmar Baystar and the Itasca models (specifically like the Titan) Also any thoughts on Fleetwood?

ANY recommendations are SO APPRECIATED!!!

Greetings,
My first question is,,,, why?  Why buy an RV to live in especially in NY where winters can be brutally cold.  Why a motor home that is going to be parked most of its life?  RV's are horribly inefficicent, depreciate really bad, and are not very roomy.  Besides all thay, the RV lifestyle is not a very good way to save money. 

Hi Donn,
In our case, it will be saving money- we are aware of the depreciating aspect. I appreciate your questions. We don't really know where we will end up, but right now, we will be staying in NY. Any advice on certain models that are best built for the cold?

My question (aside from why) is whether you realize that most RV parks in that part of the country are not open in the winter.  RVers tend to prefer warmer weather which is why so many head south for the winter AND the RV parks have to winterize their pipes just like you would do in a house.  In other words, the facilities are shut down in the fall and don't reopen until spring.  So the question becomes where you plan to park your RV.  I'm not sure you've thought this plan through completely.  Living in an RV during a winter like you've had would be almost impossible!  Many young people think RV living is the answer to costly apartments but there are many other issues involved.

ArdraF

Just as an example we lived winter 2013 inmour RV a 35 foot fifth wheel of a good brand.  During the coldest weeks propane cost was around a $125.00 a week electricity in addition ran another $150.00 a month.  This was in Portland,OR not New York.  Then RV park was another $450.00 a month. Our 2400 sq ft house was cheaper by far per month.  In NY your heating bill would more than likely be triple my experience.  You would be really lucky if your RV did notntotally freeze up during the cold months.  On top of MH payments you would be really lucky if you came in under two grand a month. Most full timers figure between two and three thousand a month without an RV payment.  That means following the sun year round to achieve that.  Please rethink your idea.  I think if you crunch the numbers youll see the falicy of your idea.

Many years ago while building a few new prototypes of the Mobile Surgical Facility, I needed to spend the winter at our plant near Chicago.

This is one of the only warm ways I know of to survive the Chicago winter comfortably in an RV.

I parked inside one of our huge heated manufacturing buildings.  I had full hookups including a satelite on the roof.

Here is a picture which also shows the two 7 X 37 foot slideouts in our sugery units.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/IMG_0491_1.jpg

Thank you for all the responses so far!
We will not be in a park- we will be in an RV garage that we will have ability to heat.

Check with each of the manufacturers you are interested in to see if they provide extra insulation.  I know back in 2000/1, Newmar did in some of their product but not all.  You will also want dual pane windows where they can be installed.

Richard brings up a good point in that the use of propane in the garage is not a good idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom