New England and Eastern Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Planning an extended trip to the Northeast and the Canadian Maritimes and looking for advice on travel routes and campgrounds.  We prefer to stay in National, State and Local campgrounds when we travel and take secondary highways when that makes sense.  Normally we take advantage of the National parks that offer senior discounts.  USACE, National Forests, etc., when available.  We also dry camp when possible and every 10 days or so look for a park with laundry facilities. 

Would like to see as much of the coast as possible.  Not sure how doable/advisable that is with the motorhome and toad.  Also thinking it may make sense to find a centrally located park in the Massachusetts area and stay there for a month.  At least is the more populated area.  Don't think that's necessary once we're in upstate NY and beyond.  Will likely end up in Nova Scotia before returning. 

Thinking of either heading North out of L.A., then East to Canada via Sault Ste. then down to the New England area.  Other option is to head East to Provincetown and then North to the Maritimes.  Our start date is likely May 1 so thinking about 4 to 6 weeks to get there, two months in the area and then another 4 to 6 weeks to return.  Unfortunately, this puts us squarely in the high seasons and since we usually don't reserve, we will probably do a bit more planning on this trip. 

Gary,

You should pick up a travel guide (for NS)...they are free.. here is the link..

http://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/order-travel-guide

I don't think I would do the Cabot trail in your M/H...  I would used your toad.. you should be able to do it in a day..

Call ahead would be a good idea...your size may be a problem..if you are looking for something specific, I can help...just PM me..

You may want to squeeze a bit more time and do PEI...that is our fav place to go...

Cheers

Last summer we vacationed in the Maritimes.  We went north around Boston on I-495 and then traveled the entire Maine coastal route in our 40' MH with toad.  It isn't a speed route but neither is it that difficult.  We had been to Acadia National Park on previous trips so we didn't stop this time, but you should if this is your first trip.

If you like national and state parks, you should definitely check out the Parks Canada website.  It is very user-friendly and you can explore it now and set up an account before the sites are released for booking in early April.  Quite a few of the parks have full hookups and all that we have stayed at have had large treed sites.  You can buy a seasonal family park pass for a reasonable price that eliminates the daily charges at the parks.  Here's a link to the park reservation website: https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/ChooseLanguage.aspx

We were in the Maritimes from mid-June through Labor Day and I can guarantee that you won't see everything in the time you have allotted.  Key things to consider are the Bay of Fundy (stay at Fundy National Park), the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia (stay at Cape Breton Highlands National Park), and Prince Edward Island (stay at Prince Edward Island National Park).  I would also suggest some time in Halifax (we recommend the Woodhaven RV Park).  If you can be in Halifax during the first two weeks of July be sure to buy tickets to see the Tattoo; it's a marvelous spectacle.

On our way south in September I noticed that it wasn't much of a difference, believe it or not, to return to western NY via Quebec and Montreal.  If you've never been to Old Quebec it is definitely worth a couple of days.  From Montreal you can either cross back into the US or continue on the Canadian side for as long as you wish.

I agree with the last poster..unless you travel with pets..if you do, no pet is allowed on a provincial/federal beach in PEI.

The last time I was at The Ovens, the three class  A's beside me had all 4 wheels off the ground and we found them very expensive..as I mentioned, ge the guide..

Best place to head to is Twin Shores.. pets are allowed and prices for product that you need and no higher then town..

grassy said:
You may want to squeeze a bit more time and do PEI...that is our fav place to go...

Excellent suggestion; we fell in love with PEI last summer.  The western side of the Island has the national park and a lot of the tourist sites, but it is definitely more crowded with lots of tourists  there to see the Anne of Green Gables stuff.  Get away from the Cavendish area if you want to see what the island is really like.  We highly recommend attending an evening concert at The College of Piping and Celtic Performing Arts in Summerside.  You can't imagine how "sweet" bagpipes can sound until you've been there.  It takes a bit of time to fully explore PEI because roads on the island meander around the coastlines and the fastest roads are only 90 km/hr (54 mph) and that's limited to highways 1, 2, and 3! ;D

Some people are reluctant to go to PEI because of the costs.  Both the ferry and the bridge are free going "to" PEI.  Tolls are paid on the way out.  Most cost effective approach is to take the ferry over and the bridge back since it cost us $60 (CA$) for the MH and toad on the bridge compared to the ~$125 it would have cost on the ferry but you may need reservations for the ferry.  If you're going to stay on PEI for a week or more amortizing the toll over your stay doesn't make it seem that bad.

You should have seen it in the early 80s...Cavendish was like a giant parking lot.

I am actually from there but haven't lived there forever.  The Island is still reeling from the building of the bridge. The one surprise most folks have is how large it is and how  neat everyone keeps their properties. 

BTW, we are not beach folks...but the kids go to Cavendish Beach, the families go to Brackley..

PEI has a similar catalog as NS's Dooers and Dreamers guide...free, you just need to ask for it.

For the most part, if you stop into and tourist info stop, the staff is usually very good.

WE have been hit with 3 major snow storms in the last week....snow, snow, go away...

A preview :)  Song sung by our own Rita MacNeil..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2krP7HQMGgo

There is a very nice campground in Foxboro, Ma.
Normandy Farms is the name of it.
It is rather pricy, but is definitely first class.

There are also state campgrounds in Ma., such as Myles Standish State Park, in Plymouth, Ma.
There is also a campground @ the Corps of Engineers Cape Cod Canal, called Bourne Scenic Park.
Also in Bourne is Scusset Beach State Park, also on the Canal, and Scusset Beach. 

grassy said:
BTW, we are not beach folks...but the kids go to Cavendish Beach, the families go to Brackley..

Of the six weeks we spent on PEI five of them were at a family run CG in the far south-eastern corner of the island on the Murray River near Murray Harbour North.  We really liked the slow pace of life and are planning on spending much of the summer there again. Hopefully, the snow will melt by the time we get there in late June!  ;D

Another vote for PEI and Twin Shores; it is absolutely beautiful. This photo was the view from our campsite.

Attachments

• 081210_001.JPG
    081210_001.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 38
The Newfoundland slide show is in HD so it can be shown in full screen mode.

https://youtu.be/UVw1XIL6o70

The PEI and Nova Scotia show is in HD so it can be shown in full screen mode.

https://youtu.be/17hz9OY8vlU

To be honest we cut a couple days off of PEI so we could spend more time on Nova Scotia.  No regrets !!!

Thanks for the links and suggestions.  Other than some basic plans, general directions, destinations, attractions, etc., we normally don't spend a lot of time on planning our road trips.  However, being in two very popular vacation areas during the high season we're obviously going to have to think this one through a bit more.  To be honest, it's a bit overwhelming.  Initially, I was thinking one month in Canada and one month in New England would be quite adequate.  From your posts and based on the other things I'm reading, we will barely scratch the surface. 

PEI is definitely on the short list.  The DW has wanted to go since she first heard about it.  She has also received a number of travel guides on various Canadian and New England locations.  Personally, I prefer looking at the Internet where I can pull up google maps and find as much if not more  detail than the guides.  Between the two, we have our work cut out. 

Probably the most important thing we need to resolve is whether or not we need to reserve campsites.  Normally just take our chances and are pretty flexible when it comes to parks and accommodations.  In 7 years of traveling we have very few problems.           

For twin  shores...unless something has changed..reservations are required.  All other places on the island..unless the  weather is really great, should be ok..but I would call a few prospective places that you may want to stay at and ask...

Len, I love both places...NS has far more diverse scenery...

grassy said:
Gary,

I don't think I would do the Cabot trail in your M/H...  I would used your toad.. you should be able to do it in a day..

Call ahead would be a good idea...your size may be a problem..if you are looking for something specific,
Cheers

Grassy, from what I've read, there are significant grades on the Cabot Trail.  Up to 20%.  I don't think I've seen anything near that.  Maybe 10% or a bit more.  From what I've read tour buses do the Trail on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, they do not like anything slowing them down.  If there are only a few places to pass, that could be a problem.  Taking the toad is a possibility but if there are RV parks along the way, we would want to spend a night or two on the trail.  Can't do that with the toad.  I've seen pix of RV parks with 40 foot motorhomes.  Ours is 32 feet.  After I've researched a bit more, I'll PM you if I have questions. 

Gary   

We also travel with no reservations unless it absolutely required.  We normally travel in spring or fall when kids are back in school.  We pick a general area and allow a rough number of days for specific areas.    Have you decided your general route to the east coast??  I assume if you take the southern path you would pick up the Atlantic coast in Georgia or South Carolina and head north.  We did the Barrier Islands a couple of years ago.  No slide show on that trip yet.  On the other hand if you come across at the north end of the Smoky Mountains you could use part or all of the Great Northern Hwy and pick up maybe Ottawa, Montreal, and/or Quebec.  Lots of great places to see.

docj said:
Last summer we vacationed in the Maritimes.  We went north around Boston on I-495 and then traveled the entire Maine coastal route in our 40' MH with toad.  It isn't a speed route but neither is it that difficult.  We had been to Acadia National Park on previous trips so we didn't stop this time, but you should if this is your first trip.

If you like national and state parks, you should definitely check out the Parks Canada website.  It is very user-friendly and you can explore it now and set up an account before the sites are released for booking in early April.  Quite a few of the parks have full hookups and all that we have stayed at have had large treed sites.  You can buy a seasonal family park pass for a reasonable price that eliminates the daily charges at the parks.  Here's a link to the park reservation website: https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/ChooseLanguage.aspx

We were in the Maritimes from mid-June through Labor Day and I can guarantee that you won't see everything in the time you have allotted.  Key things to consider are the Bay of Fundy (stay at Fundy National Park), the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia (stay at Cape Breton Highlands National Park), and Prince Edward Island (stay at Prince Edward Island National Park).  I would also suggest some time in Halifax (we recommend the Woodhaven RV Park).  If you can be in Halifax during the first two weeks of July be sure to buy tickets to see the Tattoo; it's a marvelous spectacle.

On our way south in September I noticed that it wasn't much of a difference, believe it or not, to return to western NY via Quebec and Montreal.  If you've never been to Old Quebec it is definitely worth a couple of days.  From Montreal you can either cross back into the US or continue on the Canadian side for as long as you wish.

DocJ, I've been to Boston by car, don't need to do it by Motorhome.  I like your suggestion.  Either starting on I 495 and heading to the coast or using it to bypass the cities on the return. 

We do prefer National and State parks.  I suspect they fill up pretty quickly in High season.  Is that true in all areas or are there locations where we can go without reservations? 

As I've mentioned, we generally don't reserve.  How much of a problem will that be in Canada?  Quebec and Montreal are both on the short list.  Only question, with so much to cover, how much time do we need in those areas?  Also, how far from town are the RV parks? 

Gary

rebelsun said:
There is a very nice campground in Foxboro, Ma.
Normandy Farms is the name of it.
It is rather pricy, but is definitely first class.

There are also state campgrounds in Ma., such as Myles Standish State Park, in Plymouth, Ma.
There is also a campground @ the Corps of Engineers Cape Cod Canal, called Bourne Scenic Park.
Also in Bourne is Scusset Beach State Park, also on the Canal, and Scusset Beach.

Rebelsun, generally I don't do first class unless someone else is paying.  ;)  However for this trip, there could be exceptions.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

garyb1st said:
Grassy, from what I've read, there are significant grades on the Cabot Trail.  Up to 20%.  I don't think I've seen anything near that.  Maybe 10% or a bit more.  From what I've read tour buses do the Trail on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, they do not like anything slowing them down.  If there are only a few places to pass, that could be a problem.  Taking the toad is a possibility but if there are RV parks along the way, we would want to spend a night or two on the trail.  Can't do that with the toad.  I've seen pix of RV parks with 40 foot motorhomes.  Ours is 32 feet.  After I've researched a bit more, I'll PM you if I have questions. 

Gary 

You didn't mention anything about associations that you belong to.

I discovered this year that Sams has a big pretense here.. KOA too.. we just joined both..

The last time I drove the trail, it took less than 6 hours to and that was with stopping to sight see. There are a couple of fabulous water falls tucked down some dirt roads..I also destroyed a set of front rotors on my car :)  I think if your MH has a jake, you should be ok.  I wouldn't worry about the tour buses.... most drivers are pretty polite..I wish I knew someone that drove a rig around the trail..they could give you a more accurate impression than I..

Not sure if you have seen this link..

http://www.cbisland.com/places-to-stay/campgrounds

Capers are wonderful people..very hospitable . Rita MacNeil's tea house is in big pond.  http://www.ritamacneil.com/pages/ritas-tea-room ....Louisboug is pretty cool but like everywhere, funding is down....and graham bell's house it in cape Breton as well...just found out that he and his wife were naturists and had taken lots of pics...that will never be on display :) :) ....my sister spent seveal weeks sailing the Bras d'or lakes last year...absolutely loved it..

Now I just have to interest you in Newfoundland..the friendliest place on earth :)

BTW, we have just recovered from our 3 major snowstorm in the last week...however, out summer weather is around 75-80 degrees..

I am heading out for a week in the sun Tuesday afternoon :)

Ian

I wouldn't do the Cabot Trail in a motorhome, especially towing a car. There are steep hills and switchbacks to deal with. You'll fit, but you won't enjoy the ride or the scenery.

I can highly recommend Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park, but you won't want to take the motorhome downtown or on the park loop road. The lowest bridge in the park is 11' 8" and if you look closely, you'll notice the tour buses are low profile.

Also in that area is Campobello Island with FDR's summer cottage, well worth the visit. If you're not in a hurry, take Route 1 up the coast of Maine. It gets a little crazy on summer weekends, but you'll have no problem during the week.

I'm not sure how you'll you'll make out without reservations on the weekends; this is a popular area with a short season. I once ended up backtracking almost to Boston because I couldn't find a site between Portsmouth and Rockland.

>>Now I just have to interest you in Newfoundland..the friendliest place on earth<<

We spent a month in Newfoundland in 2013 and wish we had more time. We truly enjoyed the people we met there and yes they are very friendly and welcoming.

ken

Back
Top Bottom